1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever believe in Superstitions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lone Dragon, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm don't really anymore, but as a kid I would never pick up a coin with the tails side up, because I literally thought it would give me bad luck. I was also afraid of doing the Bloody Mary in the mirror trick because I actually thought she would come.

My favorite # is 13, so I never believed in that the 13th floor of a hotel as being bad luck or something.

Has anyone had silly superstitions?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A bit in the past. My mother is a bit superstitious, and i admit that in the past i avoided some silly things, like opening a umbrella inside the house. I never really believed totally on these things, but i had that "just in case" feeling.

But i always thought that these things were silly, and i eventually abandoned them completely.

3. candyjiru

Why is this past tense? XD;;; I'm actually quite superstitious, but mostly because I think that most of these beliefs came from real situations~

Don't open an umbrella inside (Have you seen a kid playing with an umbrella inside? XD)
    Don't walk under a ladder (So dangerous!)
    A rabbit's foot is good luck (If you had a rabbit's foot, you had a rabbit, and if you had a rabbit, you had a meal!)
    Break a mirror and have 7 years of bad luck (I heard this one came from the fact that if a servant broke their master's mirror, it would take 7 years of work to repay the cost for a new one, and 7 years of no pay is super bad luck~)
    A pregnant woman shouldn't go to a funeral or a wedding (I'm pretty sure a pregnant woman made this up because she was too worn out to go partying, lol)
    It's bad luck to kill a ladybug or spider (Of course~ ladybugs are good for gardens~)
    If you catch a floating seed, blow it away and make a wish (This helps the seeds to get to a place where they can flourish and grow~)

My favorite is knocking on wood~ I do it all the time and didn't really think anything of it until I moved to a culture that didn't have that superstition and got stared at all the time XD;;; They say the reason for it is that if you make a prediction then the spirits will want to spite you for thinking you, a mere human, know the future, so you should knock on wood, where they live, to confuse them and make them forget that they wanted to curse you~~

Superstitions are a big interest of mine and if you want an interesting read, pick up a book on the origins of superstitions ^.^ And if you're super unlucky like me~~ could it really hurt? XD;;;;

#3 candyjiru, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oddly enough, I do have some, and it's hard to explain why.

But here are mine:

---Never, ever open an umbrella indoors. This is definitely bad luck. Some of my co-workers open theirs indoors to dry them off, and I think the bad luck rubs off, even with them not being mine, but in close proximity.

---If I find a penny face down, I pick it up, and return it face up, so as to neutralize any bad luck from seeing it face down.

---The #8 is good luck, the #7 is bad luck.

---It is lucky to give money to the homeless at least once a week.

Those are some of mine...odd, how they have stayed with me!

#4 HuskyPup, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Ryu

Ryu

Nope. I think it's all ballocks, except maybe walking under a ladder, because if it falls and hits you it'll probably hurt.

6. rudysteiner

I still do believe in superstitions:

I can't: have shoes on the table, new or old, or walk under a ladder.

I believe that: when your ears are burning, someone is talking about you; when a black cat walks towards you, it brings good luck, bla bla bla, and that it's bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match.

Also, I have three elephants in my room (ornaments, not actual elephants), and they all have to be facing the door.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Only in Santa Clause and the Toothfairy, because there was actual 'evidence' of their actions: presents & money under my pillow.
    Never believed in ghosts, religions or gods, nor in bad/good luck stuff.

8. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I never really bought into any of that stuff.

9. BookWriter1994

The only one that I truly believe is bringing a umbrella inside a building/house. It always creeps me out when I see people with umbrellas inside a store and I'll be like um, now you will have bad luck for life

10. Ashley2103

Yes I was very superstitious.

11. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom gets really freaked out if I step over my sister, she thinks it'll "Make her short forever" Once, my friend did the same and my mom told her to step back over me so I don't shrink. That explains my height..That was embarrassing xD

Me, no, I don't believe in superstitions particularly, but shattered mirrors scare me.

12. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Yeah, I still kind of get scared of weird things in the back of my mind, not that I'm really superstitious.
    13 being unlucky
    walking under ladders
    bad omens/feelings
    the Bloody Mary thing definitely!

I guess I don't really act on my superstitions, they just kind of occur to me when these things happen. Although I do kind of believe in ghosts. It's weird though. Like I believe in other peoples' ghost stories but I think if I actually had a paranormal experience I'd probably be really skeptical about it.

13. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like doing things to cause bad luck because it is hilarious.

14. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Throwing salt over my left shoulder if I spill some, hanging a horse shoe right side up so the luck doesn't spill out, having garlic and a crucifix and up, preferably near the house entrance to keep evil way, and knocking on wood. I also sleep with a dream catcher every night, unless I am spending the night some where else.

#15 phoenix89, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  16. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh wow I never really knew they all had a meaning behind them! That's pretty cool!

As for me I'm not superstitious. I have done the whole knock on wood thing before because that's what my parents used to believe in.

17. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same here

18. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, but my coworkers get riled up if someone comments on it being a quiet day at work. So, of course I frequently drop the " Q" bomb.

19. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very superstitions.

20. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did? I'm a hockey fan so a good bit of my superstitions stem from that. I couldn't wear my Red Wings T-shirt on a game day for a year because the first time I wore it we lost 9-2. I like to wear a jersey during every game but if I can't put it on before the game starts and we end up leading then I can't put it on at all. No one can say anything to the effect of "This game is in the bag" or they might jinx it.

Outside sports, my most common one is knocking on wood. I do it a lot. If there isn't wood nearby, I knock on the nearest object and call it good. It's bad luck to pick up a penny that's facing tails up. Flip it over, then pick it up.

Logically, I know none of this matters. Doesn't stop me.