1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University In Berlin? But I only speak English?? Help???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Oct 14, 2015.

1. grungeteen

So I know I'm only 14 but... It's my dream to study and live in Berlin for university. I love the city, it's one of my favourites and I love ther German language, plus, many universities have no fees!

Unfortunately, I speak barely any German but I'm hoping to start teaching myself the language soon but I know even if I start now teaching myself, I will probably never get to a good enough level to take a course in German by the time I'm 18 so English is my only option.

I've looked at the *I can't spell it* looks like 'Free universitat' in Berlin which offers a few courses in English but unfortunately everything on it doesn't exactly take my interest and I don't want to be stuck studying something I hate. I wouldn't mind going to an art school as long as the course is in English but I would love to study film or something creative, or a language.

Does anyone know of any options I have or any universities in Berlin and offer a variety of courses in English. I really badly want to study there but language is the only thing that's stopping me.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have 4 years. That isn't enough to learn german like a native, but it is enough to learn the language, enough for you to study there, if you really focus on learning the language.

The question you need to ask yourself is: Do you want to put a lot of work during these 4 years in learning german? Do you think it is worth it?

It is indeed a lot of work, and it wouldn't be easy. But if you think it is worth it, and if you discipline yourself to study everyday, it is possible.

3. Foz

Foz Guest

In England you will get a student loan to cover your tuition fees, this is not like a normal loan and will not appear on any credit file, nor will it stop you getting any finance such as a car. It will never cost you an amount you cannot afford to repay - on a salary of about £30k the repayment is £85-90 a month, on top of your tuition fee loan you will also get a living costs loan to help pay for accommodation. However in Germany you will still need to pay for your accommodation and living expenses for which you will not get help with. So in both Germany and the UK you do not need to worry about paying tuition fees but the UK will help you with living costs whereas the Germans won't.

Yes, you could get a job, but even to work at a supermarket checkout you will be expected to have a strong understanding of the German language. Though if they are anything like our NHS, the German health service will give you a job even if you don't speak a word of German :roflmao:

#3 Foz, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. rudysteiner

I was looking at going to the Freie Universität de Berlin, and they do a few courses in English, but they all seem to be MA and MSc courses which wouldn't be a problem, but you need a BA/BSc to get onto a Masters programme, if I'm right.

If you would consider it though, there's a few universities in the Netherlands, including Groningen, Leiden, Den Haag, Maastricht, etc. that teach BA degrees in English. At least one of which teaches a degree in the languages but I'm not sure which uni it is. I'll be going to one of these universities most likely to do an MA after I finish university here in the UK. I need to start it first though.

I'm sure, if you were born in Scotland, or live in Scotland, university is completely free for you there.

#4 rudysteiner, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015