1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we doomed to become the complete opposite of what is expected/hoped for us?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So awhile back my sister was telling me about a time where she saw a baby all dressed up in punk attire, and she said something that made me think. That the baby was doomed to defy those expectations because we are all doomed to become the complete opposite of what we are moulded to be, and that moulding someone a certain way just makes them want to be something else, that it's just human nature to rebel against such.

A few years ago I was at my Grandma's house and I picked up my cousin's football, which then seemed to prompt her to reminisce about when I was younger. She told me how my mum always wanted me to be a "proper girly-girl" when she found out I was a girl. She had always expected me to be a boy, so when I turned out to be a girl she wanted me to be pretty and feminine. I never realised this at the time, but then I looked back and realised that it actually made a lot of sense like why she sent me to ballet lessons ect. Although I think at this point she's almost given up. :icon_wink I have to wonder sometimes if it was my upbringing that caused me to be this way or if I just naturally am like this.

So, what do you think? Are we doomed to become what we are not shaped to be? I probably should've put this in the gender expression area, but oh well. :eusa_danc :thumbsup:

2. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yes the grass is always greener

3. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Don't really know. My mother was the same way with me and she was just so disappointed when I didn't turn out the way she wanted me to be- I can't even imagine what she'll think when I come out as trans*- but I know very feminine mothers who gave birth to cisgender feminine daughters, growing up just how they wanted them to.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well, I was raised to think for myself, and that is exactly how I turned out. I dunno about this, but I think people probably just like exploring different possibilities.

5. AKTodd

I was raised with the expectation that I should do whatever I wanted that made me happy. Worked out pretty well - although with some speedbumps.

Having a parent who more or less flat out refuses to provide advice - even when you ask for it - is both very freeing and somewhat...stressful.

Todd