1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many here are on the Autism Spectrum?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean this question out of the most respectful curiosity possible (I find psychology fascinating and have done extensive research into autism, namely Asperger's/ASD).

So... I see many members here who say they do in fact have autism. Just had a few questions for you all. Do you have an official diagnosis, or self diagnosis? If so, what of (Autism or Asperger's/ASD)? When did you come to realize that you were on the spectrum? How would you say this works with your sexuality/gender, if at all?

A while back I had suspected myself of having Asperger's Syndrome (and it's really quite possible) but do not have any sort of official diagnosis. Also, it's interesting that some scientific studies have shown that people with autistic traits are over-represented in the FTM trans community.

This thread is simply intended to celebrate the neurodiversity in our sexually and gender diverse community. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an Aspie. I have my quirks, but I've overcome most of the major social challenges.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I suspect I could be, among some other things. I try and stay away from self diagnosing, because it would be tempting to compile a list of defenses. Basically, ways to avoid responsibility for what I say or do. Also, it isn't too healthy for me to worry about things I may not have.

I've also heard that a great deal of transfolk are autistic. How much truth there is to that exactly, I'm not quite sure. But it's something I come across from time to time.

As for how it may influence my gender or sexuality. Well, sexuality, I'd probably be like this regardless. As for gender, well, if we take the autism-is-involved-in-transfolk theory, it may have some result. But since I have no official diagnosis, I'm not going to claim that.

The primary reason I believe I may be autistic is, I have peculiar routines and methods, for just about everything in my life. But again, something else could be behind this, as some symptoms of autism overlap into other areas.

4. TheStormInside

For a long time I thought I may have Asperger's. Now I'm less certain. Though, I would say I have "traits." I am diagnosed with anxiety and depressive disorders and have spoken to my therapist briefly about Aspergers, though she seemed to be of the opinion the symptoms I do have are a function of my generalized and social anxiety disorders.

I have a lot of difficulty with socializing. Medication and practice have helped mitigate some of the symptoms but for a long time I'd get near "shutdown" in social situations because the information and anxiety were too high. I get overwhelmed by outside stimuli easily and too much noise, or talk, sends my brain into overload. I've improved a lot in this area, though I still have immense difficulty in crowds, or when meeting new people. I have other sensory sensitivities, as well, in particular my sense of smell, which I jokingly call my "werewolf nose."

How do these traits work with my sexuality? Well, I would hazard a guess that having these traits plays a big part in why it's taken me so long to realize my sexuality. For a long time I felt I didn't want a relationship at all, and was content alone. I felt like I couldn't connect to most people. I also still worry that some of my more particular and obsessive habits may push future partners away.

I think being gay has probably also increased my levels of social anxiety, not now but throughout my life, because I was constantly self-editing in an unconscious manner, and had this part of myself I was so shamed by I couldn't even allow myself to see it. I do feel, though, that as I'm coming out it is certainly not a cure, but it is starting to ease some of my anxiety in unexpected ways.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand how someone might think I'm autistic, based on limited information. I've been tested (well, questioned by an expert) for autism. She just thought I was weird. Of course, medical professionals say something such as "schizotypal traits." And like kaiser says, there is overlap between other things and autism.

You might find this link interesting, if you haven't read it already thanks to "relentless reading" lol
    INTPs and Asperger's Syndrome | Oddly Developed Types

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an autistic son. Unlike many who claim to be autistic just because they have a few social and behavioural issues and like to try and use it as an excuse, he has actually had the clinical diagnosis for it.

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha-ha! Yes, you know you've become obsessed with something when Google ran out of things on that topic to read. Oddly Developed Types is a brilliant resource, they've got really interesting info on the 16 MBTI types. I was surprised that they'd drawn a correlation between ASD and INTP's, as prior to that point those two "fields of interest" hadn't intersected in my studies.

You do draw good points, by the way. Primarily I share the same reasoning, which is why I haven't sought out a diagnosis. The way I see it, my traits aren't strong enough to cause significant distinguishment, and much of my psyche is probably diluted with other issues (e.g. depression, social disfunction, gender dysphoria).

Thanks for all the responses thus far.

8. Elliiexriley

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was diagnosed with autism 4 months ago, but I already thought i had it years before.
    I never felt the need to get the diagnosis, until i had to go to college. All the changes, all the new people,..I just couldn't handle it anymore. I was thinking about it and freaking out months before. So I thought getting the diagnosis and talking about it would help, and well, it did. Everything is going really well. I've learned to accept myself and so do the people here. I think i might even dare to come out to them when the time is right. Something I had never imagined i'd be able to do. :slight_smile:

9. Ryu

Ryu

Yup, I was diagnosed with aspergers at 10/11-ish.

10. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never been diagnosed with, nor have a sought a diagnosis for, any autism spectrum disorder. However, I'm sure I'm diagnosable as having an autism spectrum disorder. I often am not interested in many social activities that most others enjoy, and some of my interests are very unusual. For instance I can enjoy spending a few hours listening to a podcast while looking at remote Alaskan and northern Canadian villages in Google Maps/Earth, and doing research about them.

Also, when I was young, I was professionally diagnosed with a disorder that often co-exists with, and has many overlapping symptoms with, autism: Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). Even though my CAPD is mild enough to not keep me from somehow getting a master's degree, it certainly didn't help me socially. It's especially frustrating when I can't understand what someone is saying because of my CAPD, regardless of how many times they repeat themselves or how loud they speak.

One should be careful about labels though. Diagnosis and labels can be useful because they help us understand what is going on, but they can somewhat become self-fulfilling prophesies, especially when it comes to social matters.

#10 BobObob, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Around the same time here, it's gotten a bit easier over the years but people around here still don't understand me at all, nor do I understand them.

12. Pumpion

I was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum when I was about 3 or 4. I went to a special kindergarten and now I'm in a mainstream Catholic school (in semi-fear). But you would never know that I was on the spectrum just by looking at me, or even if you knew me for ages.

13. The Bi Guy2

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have astpergers but when diagnosed, I was in denial...

14. littleraven

Yup.
    Well, I was diagnosed with Aspergers in Nov 2012.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Maybe I am, maybe I'm not, I don't know or really care to tell you the truth

16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've created threads about things I was thinking about, and I can read them, so that's cool. I've read entire subreddits. Some of them were loooong. I like the sound of "relentless reading" because I envision something brutal.

One book (about MBTI) I read contained some apparently common complaints about MBTI types. One negative "review" for INTP was "He lives on cloudcuckoolander!" That could apply to many people, no matter what "type" they are, but oh my Tzeentch, I could relate; sometimes I need to be more "present!"

I'm interested in autism. I created a thread forever ago about autism. One of my friends has Asperger's syndrome. He's only one person on the autism spectrum, and I want to help him feel more at ease. I don't care how arrogant it sounds, but I won't let anyone pick on him. Plus I'm happy when he's on my side in video games!

17. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, I don't think I'm autistic. I know that when we were younger, my mom thought it possible both me and my brother were... But honestly, it's just a lot of other stuff, like ADD, ADHD, OCD, sensory issues, and anxiety. So no, not autistic, but I can sympathize with those who are.

18. ScatteredEarth

I have a friend who has Aspergers and he's perfectly normal aside from a few social quirks. I let him fight his own battles because I'm of the "If you can fight them, then fight them" ilk.

Side not: You know you're hated in Middle School when people would come up to HIM and ask him why he hangs out with me :< Needless to say we are our only friends :slight_smile: