1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm going to adopt a dog!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tentacles, Oct 15, 2015.

1. tentacles

That's not an interesting fact, I am really, really happy because I've been reading about how pet therapy can help and it's always been my dream to have a dog.
    So... do you guys have any pets? What are their names? Let's chat a bit :icon_bigg

2. Yosia

That's amazing! Do you know what breed of dog yet and what it looks like? :3

I only have 1 pet which is a cat called Archie. He can be quite a nuisance at times but I love him so much haha.

3. tentacles

Mother wants a Yorkshire Terrier, since we will be living in an apartment in six months. I think it is a good choice, but I'm afraid we will have to end up buying and not adopting the dog because of that.

Aww, so cute :icon_bigg

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Owning a dog is a big responsibility, and you'll have to have a lot of patience - but they can be great pets and companions! :slight_smile: Have fun with your new friend!

Edit: Oh I have a 4 year old Golden Retriever named Truly.

5. CaptainRex

I do! I have a Yellow Labrador. He's a few years with our family but nevertheless, still adorable. Glad to hear your getting one of these lovely fluffy animals too! :grin:

6. Cedar

Good luck!

I've only ever had cats. The cat I have now is a domestic shorthair named Suki. For some odd reason, people seem to laugh at this name D:... A bit on the chubby side but hey, more to love :lol:.

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I'm happy for you :grin: I hope it goes well for you & your dog. Do encourage your mom to adopt instead of buying from a breeder or the pet store. There are a variety of dogs in local shelters & the animals are usually already neutered or spayed & are updated on their shots, so adopting will save you money, not to mentioned you'd be making a dog really happy. :slight_smile:

I currently have one small dog named Minni & she's a black chihuahua Pomeranian mix. :grin:

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is Maggie, and she's 11:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/29681-albums5233-picture44054.html

And this is Bullseye, and he's 7:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/29681-albums5233-picture55675.html

Both were rescue dogs. Maggie and her litter were born in a field and the mother and 8 of the 10 puppies were dead by the time someone found them. Maggie and her surviving brother were so malnourished that they weren't sure they would survive at first. We first filled out the paperwork when she was 3 weeks old, and brought her home at 8 weeks.

Bullseye was a different story. Someone dropped off a pregnant Brittany Spaniel/Doberman mix, and the shelter had themed names for the different litters. His was the Toy Story litter and he was named after Bullseye, the horse in the Toy Story movies. We got him when he was 4 months old. When he was a puppy, he was the little monster, but now that he's fully grown and weighs about 70 pounds, he's now just known as the monster.

9. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I work in dog rescue, i promise you, you can find a yorkshire that needs adopting and not purchasing. I also BEG of you to not buy from a pet store or breeder. I wont soap box too much but at the current rate in which dogs are euthanized no one should be breeding dogs right now :slight_smile: I may even be able to help find you a yorkie if needed!

Also, we have two foster fails. A boxer and an English bulldogs, both nost likely pure bred, both strays, both from what seems like bad living conditions/backyard breeders (boxer has signficant scaring from having dew claws and tail chopped off instead of removed from a vet). They are my lovely boys and I could not imagine ever not having them with me.

Our previous three/four foster dogs were all purebred as well (Cane Corso, English Mastiff, Chihuahua Staffordshire. ). We have had far more mutts but just wanted to point out a desire for pure bred does not necessitate buying!

I'll walk away now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Edit just realized you do not live in the US. I MIGHT still be able to point you in the direction of a rescue with yorkies down there, tho

#9 ebda30, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  10. tentacles

It's definitely a big responsability, but it's going to be worth it!
    Thank you :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 07:55 PM ----------

Suki is a lovely name, why would someone laught at it?
    Well, chubby cats are amazing!

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 08:02 PM ----------

Thank you! I will certainly encourage adoption, I've been reading about the problems dogs face with breeders and pet stores and they sound terrible.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 08:04 PM ----------

So cute! Bullseye's eyes are the best, hahahaha
    And that's a really touching story, it's a relief that they have a good home now :kiss:

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 08:06 PM ----------

It's great to hear that! I really want to adopt instead of buying a dog. And I'd be really grateful if you could find a rescue for me, but don't worry if you don't find it!

11. Psaurus918

I love dogs!

My family has a Shih Tzu but when I move back out I want to get a Boston Terrier

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need pics of your pup when you get it!!!

This is a whole album full of pics of my dog, Kodiak. He lives with my parents in California so I don't get to see him that much, but he is always so happy to see me when I visit. I like to say we're in a long-distance relationship
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/36905-albums5332.html

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's fantastic that you are adopting a dog! I am sure you are going to have lots of fun together. :slight_smile:

Over the last couple of years, I have grown increasingly comfortable with the idea of having a dog in the future, and there are moments where I actually wish I would have a puppy and see it grow.

15. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Dogs are awesome I have a poodle

16. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aaaw, that's awesome!

It sometimes feels like we have a mini zoo (I live with my parents). We have two dogs (A Boerboel (Mastiff-type dog) and a miniature dachshund). Then we have a cat of unknown breeding, two African Grey parrots and four Zebra finches...

17. tentacles

Aaaw, what a cutie! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2015 at 01:39 PM ----------

I am definitely going to post some pics when I get it!

So cute! He has such a happy face!

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2015 at 01:42 PM ----------

Definitely :icon_bigg

I've had a dog when I was a child (had to give her to family friends that have a farm, it was a very sad moment) and seeing it growing is amazing. I'd say it's a close feeling to parenthood.

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2015 at 01:43 PM ----------

Wow, you have a lot of pets! I wish I had a house that could fit a 'mini zoo', haha.

18. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That's awesome!! I have a little dog named Rascal. He's a yorkie mix, but a bit bigger than a yorkie. He's really cute, but definitely really quirky. He's kind of mean to other dogs because he's protective, but sometimes he's scared of the most random things. Like sometimes when I take him for a walk, he'll get really scared of trash cans or when people have balloons on their mailboxes and he'll actually go to the other side of the street. So he's pretty weird and kind of a trouble-maker but he's a cutie and good dog:slight_smile:

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope it goes well

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll say! If you had me as your dog, just your food and therapy bills alone would drive you to the poorhouse, not to mention how I'd almost constantly want attention, and the latest in fashionable collars, leashes and designer food and water bowls. :slight_smile:

But on a serious note, I think they make fine pets, though are also a big responsibility. Right now, we just have a Manx cat (small apartment, as in Tokyo sized), but when we move back to Michigan, and have an outdoor/indoor dog run at my folk's old place, I would like a Malamute...or two...