1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid New School Rule?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Oct 16, 2015.

1. grungeteen

So I'm 14 and in 9th grade/ year 10. Our school recently got a new head teacher. He's been putting loads of new rules in place.
    He is banning phones and although, I don't like it and do understand the reasons behind it.

But now, he has banned wearing your PE Kit after school, as in, when you have PE for last period, you're not allowed to stay in it while walking home or on the bus. I think this is completely outrageous and I do not understand how doing this affects my learning at all. School's over by that point! How can it do damage to my learning or distract me from my learning? I don't know what stupid reason he has behind this new rule! Like wtf?!
    I've finished the school day- plus our PE uniform does have the school logo and is completely appropriate so I don't see anything wrong with it?!

I hate this new guy, pretty much the entire school hates him.

2. ScatteredEarth

If it were me, I'd just do it and leave, once school ends, at least here, they don't have that much authority.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That sounds really annoying:/ But yeah same, I don't know what the exact rules and laws are but I would think once the school day officially ends, they shouldn't have any authority over you. That's pretty ridiculous.

4. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    They can't control you after school

5. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you are right grungeteen and this is an over-reach on his part. You could go ask him directly and respectfully. Something along the lines of that you understand he's making some necessary changes but you don't understand this particular rule and you wanted to let him know that it is creating challenges for the students who have PE at the end of the day. See what he says. If he won't provide some rationale this may be a power trip. He may give a reason you don't necessarily agree with but if there is some reason you may just have to accept it and move on.

Often times when there is a leadership change it is also an opportunity to make big changes in any institution. Break up old habits that were having a negative impact on the whole group. This is never fun for anyone but can make things much better in the long run.

6. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have this in my school. we got told it would 'damage the appearance of the school' its kinda stupid. Its like how when you go on school trips you have to wear uniform and dress smartly because you are representing the school I.E if you dress badly then it makes the school seem bad. I think the P.E kit thing is another attempt at improving the outlook and overall reputation of the school. But like the other members have said, they shouldn't do it since after school time they have no power over you. the only thing I can think of is that whilst you are in school grounds you have to obey the rules so that would explain why schools can have this no P.E kit rule.

I wouldn't let it bother you since most schools on the UK have this rule. TBH I never liked P.E anyway so i was glad ti change out of it XD

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do whatever you want they can't make you do anything so break the rules honey!!

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our school just did the opposite: making it alright to come to school in PE kit for first lesson and go home in it if you have it last.

I really don't think it's right for the school to be making rules about what happens outside of school and won't affect what happens inside school. It seems so silly, why make all these random rules when there's better rules to enforce that do actually make school a better place?

Me and a bunch of my friends managed to get a different rule taken away (mind you, this was in primary school but the same principles still apply) by doing a petition in the class to show that people agree then giving it to a teacher who agreed, who then brought it up with the headteacher. I think it's a good idea to let it work its way up rather than talk straight to the head.

9. Mitchell

I did high school online and didn't attend a traditional classroom... although I did go in when I was up for it, and spent time in the study hall type area, and at times I took classes as it just interested me.

I've heard many faculty in the school insist that cell phones were counterproductive, and I agree with them. I do not agree that they have the right to insist that they go through a students phone and read their messages, but I do believe that they have the right to ask students to put it on silent during the day, and out of sight (in a pocket or a bag), unless there is a circumstance that makes it necessary to take a call that day. For example, expecting a call from a doctor.

In my situation, doing classes online, I HAD to have my smartphone -- I needed to get online with it, I'd tether it to my laptop so I was able to get semi high speed internet to access my online courses.

It's becoming a problem... They ARE distracting, but parents seem to keep buying younger and younger children phones.

10. ScatteredEarth

I didn't get a phone until I was 13. My brother? Eight.

11. Mitchell

I got one when I was like 13 or 14... I was in a situation where I needed it.

The school district had me transfer middle schools and I was left in another school that was scary for me, and I knew nobody. I also had to be able to call my mother if transportation didn't work out. They were not that good at getting me the specialized transportation on time, so many days I'd call my mother.

For me, it was a security blanket. It made me feel safe to know that if I had to call my mother, I was able to, without having to go somewhere like an office and request to use their phone.

Later on, I did get a Blackberry. I got it primarily because I did school online and I needed to be able to tether to it to get online on my laptop to access my online school things. The local school -- my program was very unique. And the wifi for students SUCKED, it barely worked, and when it did, it was slow - and it would at times block my lessons.

I ended up later getting another Blackberry. I started out with a 7250 that I got really cheap on eBay. It did what I needed. I loved being able to correspond with my friends around the world on it via email and instant messenger. I ended up later getting a Blackberry Pearl, when they were the "hit thing". Later on, I upgraded to a Blackberry Storm.

I later got a shitty Android phone I got online, I believe it was on Amazon.

Later I did get an iPhone 4. I was getting more and more into linux again, and the iPhone and OpenSUSE didn't mix well. I bought myself a used Samsung 4G LTE phone off of eBay (Android). My mother had me give the iPhone to my brother... worst decision I ever made.

I had such difficulty with it, I opted in for a free Blackberry... A newer one with WiFi and all that.

I ended up designing a website for a client, and I got a used iPhone 4 off of eBay.

I got a great (nearly) two years out of it. It still worked, but it just didn't hold a charge all that well.

I then went to Verizon and got an iPhone 5s, white, 32GB (I think), and I got it on Verizon Edge. In like May or April I'm up for an upgrade and I'm interested in a new one for Apple Pay.

The frustration that I have now is the no more unlimited data... so when I utilize my mobile hotspot, of which I do a lot at the college because they block things like IRC and my MMO games... but I share 11GB of data with my mother and brother, we have unlimited talk and text.

I'd very much so unlikely update to a 6s, I'd rather wait off until the 7 comes out (if it does).

There are times that phones are needed. At the same time, they can be a complete distraction.

12. DMark69

First I will state that there were no cell phones when I was in High School, we had that battle with walkmans. They were officially banned, but the ban was not enforced, if you were in lecture you couldn't use them, but if you were just doing homework you could.

Phones however are too distracting, I know of a few people who have been fired from jobs because they couldn't stay off their phones. If you need it as a security blanket, and check it between classes it's fine to have. I do believe though that if a teacher sees you using it during class the phone should go to the principals office and only be retrieved by the parent.

13. Mitchell

I agree with you, unless there are exceptions...

In my case, I did school online and the school wouldn't permit me to connect to their network with my personal laptop, so the arrangement was that they would let me tether with my phone to my laptop so I could do my school work. It was a very unusual arrangement that I had going. Eventually student WiFi existed, but it sucked.

Later on, when I eventually actually took a class at the school itself, I had permission to have my smartphone out to put assignments in, we classified it as assistive technology.

Talking on a phone or texting in class... it shows disrespect to the instructor.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As for the clothing rule, I often think head teachers/principals make rules just to make them, and for no good, overt or obvious reason.

But there is a hidden reason, and that, to me, is to intill a degree of obedience and fear in people as they grow up, to make them follow authority figures in general, to follow rules, and not question things too much.

Thus, I would break the rule, and suggest the school board convene and make a rule where he has to dress like Cruella DeVille, from 1,001 Dalmatians, all the time.

I had always considered teaching, as I have a degree in English and feel unhappy with my jobs...and yet, schools seem so structured these days, I feel like I'd not have very much freedom to be creative in the classroom, and the atmosphere would be oppressive. I'd probably get called to the principals office more then the students.

Good luck, and I say Resist, get others do, and never give up fighting against things that are so stupidly arbitrary, and just a show of power. The phones, I can see...but this???

#14 HuskyPup, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  15. FootballFan101

Thats ridiculous in my school if you have PE before and afte lunch you can wear your PE gear in lunch and we just bring in our own clothes for PE

16. Plattyrex

I personally feel very uncomfortable disobeying any sort of authority figure, so I would just go along with it. That being said, if you feel comfortable breaking these rules, I really don't see a reason not to. There aren't really any situations where somebody would be hurt by this.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes rules are just made up as a power trip but sometimes it can have a logic that we don't understand yet

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Namely, cowing people into submission at a young age; sadly, the main goal of education in the US.

19. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, as long as your gym shorts aren't any shorter than 5 inches from your knee, I don't see a problem with it. That said, it's after school, so I see no point. Also, on the bus, how does one mandate that?

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone