1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think this decade is going to be known for?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's see... You've got the 90's with its girl bands like the Spice Girls, the noughties with it's pop punk rebellion, Gwen Stephani, Girls Aloud ect.

So I know it isn't over yet, but what do you think this decade will be remembered for?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Pop-Punk... dear Lord... the 70s and 80s punk bands, and to a slightly lesser degree the 90s ones, would be rolling over in their graves at that combination.

I think this generation is going to be known for what others perceive them as, really. In the past, something happened or was coming into being for folks to latch onto. Now, it seems this generation simply follows the motions and looks out for themselves, while maintaining a sort of instantaneous expectation towards anything -- fast technology is not helping in that regard.

But if I have to pick something, I'd say this generation will be known as the filter of those before going into the next generation. Those who remain will more than likely be exceptional individuals, but most will be, sadly, consumers.

3. Yosia

JOHN CENA

memes in general tbh. Music-wise, possible the new influence of pop-dance, seems to be fairly popular among the mainstream.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shitty music, selfie sticks, and the bastardized term "social media."

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know how Futurama refers to this era as the "Stupid Ages"?

#5 Browncoat, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  6. thepandaboss

The Kardashians, Gangnam Style, the Supreme Court ruling/LGBT civil rights movement, Caitlyn Jenner, hipster beards, cokebottle glasses, and Apple.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people still can't agree on what the 2000s stood for - I don't think we'll be saying what this decade is all about when we're only halfway through - but if I had to say anything right now, it'd be the advancement of equality and human rights, especially in the West. In 2005, the majority of Americans were against same-sex marriage but now around 60% are in favour - that's quite a significant shift. Then we have same-sex marriage being legalised across the US, as well as in France, the UK, Ireland and Finland. Gender equality has made significant progress this decade too.

I'd say technology too - it's gone from a handy convenience to a central part of our lives.

In terms of music, electronic and house seem pretty popular right now - which is fortunate for me because they are two of my favourite genres, and a lot of the top 40 music is actually pretty good from my perspective. Rock can stay buried forever for all I care.

I've also noticed that people seem to care more about their health these days - more organic food stores popping up, and a big decline in drinking compared to 10 years ago. Obesity appears to be leveling off and even declining after rising through the 90s and 2000s.

I'll update my thoughts in 2020.

#7 imnotreallysure, Oct 17, 2015
  8. Artemisarked

A shift/influx in online content and journalism?

(This is partially to lament over how many of the stories are these new age websites, starting every article with "..You won't believe THIS happened!" or "ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING!")

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh you are so right on!

10. thepandaboss

Oh this too. I work for sites like that. It's a very different culture than journalism was even ten years ago. Very fast paced. The idea is to bring in traffic and manipulate keywords to attract new readers for search engines (SEO). Granted, not the goal of every site out there but that's what a lot of new media sites go for.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greed. The abandoning of the idea of things meant for the public to enjoy and benefit from, and a focus on the concerns of the rich and corporate.

The continued accumulation in the hands of fewer and fewer people, and the majority having flat/stagnant/declining wages, while the uber-rich tighten control on things, such as US politics. A second gilded age, much like the last turn of the century.

Also: Stupidity in relation to greed. Donald Trump leading in the polls? Really?????

12. Foz

Foz Guest

Global economic recovery, progressive social policies and the evolution of terrorism.

That's pretty much it, if you look at the themes of what defined previous decades, this will be ours. Of course it is still subjective.

13. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stupidity fighting it's hardest to remain dominant and in control, when advances in science and technology slowly erode it.

Aside from the "land of the free" becoming slightly less of a "exaggerated clickbait" title with people being slightly less oppressed for the whatever-teenth time... Can't really think of much. Can't be music, because most mainstream music this generation makes me want to rip my ears off to put them out of their misery.

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You know, there's decades that are remembered as good and decades that are remembered as bad. If you ask me, I think this will be one remembered as bad. I can't list out what in particular, but I know it's not all good.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it will - no particular decade is remembered as 'bad' - with the possible exception of the 1940s due to the war and its after-effects - and it will be location dependent, as certain things are not of equal importance everywhere.

Take the 1980s in the UK for instance - poor political atmosphere, rioting, violent protests, high crime, urban decay, neo-Nazism, homophobia, IRA terrorism - yet people of a certain age view it in very high regard just because the music was 'good' even though life was harder in almost every way.

People, as they get older, tend to overlook the negative aspects of the past, and focus on the positive ones. Nearly everyone is guilty of doing this. A certain amount of time needs to pass before people of this generation start looking fondly at this point in time - but there is no denying that they will eventually. Those 'youth' who want to rebel against the mainstream to look cool will get old one day.

I have to say that I find all of this pessimism and glass-half-empty approach to life that so many people on here take to be incredibly irritating..

#15 imnotreallysure, Oct 17, 2015
  16. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The continued acceleration of the mass extinction of many species of life. It will be a turning point in the mass extinctions of the Holocene era.

And an era in which people did little to try address environmental problems causes by humankind in general...

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lunacy.

20. Distant Echo

In Australia, that the major political parties simply could not get their shit together and actually do their flipping job instead of pandering to big business and opinion polls. Being reactive instead of proactive and being incapable of doing a damn thing that might be unpopular with the sheep.
    And their atrocious and criminal treatment of refugees.