1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

I was in a chat and I brought up the ending to Legend of Korra where they heavily imply that Korra and Asumi ( sp? ) are implied to be in a lesbian relationship together. I said I'd wished that Nickelodeon would have had the guts to just have them kiss because ya know at some point someone's gotta be the first to do it and got dogpiled for it. Seriously, I mean like they thought I was stupid and said no sane company wants to get involved in that kinda stuff and I was like if it were timed right they'd make tv history being the first to do something like that, but I guess that's stupid thinking.

At some point kids shows are gonna have to give some exposure to the LGBT community. I mean obviously we don't want sexual content on kid's tv, but like a cheek kiss or something would be kinda cool.

2. AKTodd

Are you talking about a same-sex kiss being shown on a children's show specifically or on television in general? Because the latter is pretty much old hat these days, including on some shows that are considered prime time and/or family friendly or have at least a pre-teen or teenager audience.

So, on general principles, the people you were talking to are rather behind the times. In terms of precedent or 'the past as prologue' you are more likely to be correct than they are.

As same-sex relationships become more normalized the issue of same-sex kisses seems likely to become less and less of an issue. I won't be surprised if both of us live to see it become so routine as to be completely unremarked upon.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Simple Thoughts

I'm aware, but I just wish they would've gone all the way with the ending and had them kiss.

Also I was referring to kid's shows. Specifically in the age range that shows like Teen Titans and Stephen Universe were/are aimed at. It'd be nice if there were a couple shows out there to show kids coming into their orientation to see they weren't alone, ya know?

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I totally get what you mean now. That definitely would've helped me when I was younger! I was a bit disappointed they shied away from a kiss as well.

6. Simple Thoughts

Yeah it would've helped a lot of people.

Also I got dogpiled over a communication error.

Once it got cleared up we were on the same page. They thought I meant like shows for little little kids which would prompt awkward parenting conversations where I really was referring to shows where kids themselves were at the age of coming into that stuff on their own.

7. Jellal

It does seem like they were being a bit too timid, considering that "The Last Airbender" ended with a kiss

8. Simple Thoughts

The Last Airbender had way better writting honestly.

Korra was okay and had its moments for sure, but it felt like more heart an thought went into The Last Airbender.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you're completely sane and I think kids should be exposed to same sex couples so that way they can learn that it should be something acceptable in society.

10. Simple Thoughts

It wasn't even like I was saying we should say it's right or wrong in anyway just acknowledge that it's something that exists in the world. Ya know?

11. CyanChachki

I think it's more like the whole Neville and Luna OTP thing, where everyone sees it but the creators.

12. littleraven

I think the people who are working on shows like Korra and Steven Universe are working with characters being in same sex relationships or possibly being in them. It's still relatively new to see them in cartoons aimed to kids. I believe that, in time, when people becoming a little more accepting, there will totally be a same sex kiss.

#12 littleraven, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  13. ScatteredEarth

Am I the only one who refused to watch Korra because it seemed like another stupid spin off of a popular show? Granted I only watched half of Airbender before my cable was cancelled, but still. After the terrible flop the movie made, I was scared for any more spin-offs/retellings, etc.

14. Cedar

I highly doubt that you're crazy over something like that. If you were to say something like, "well, I wish there were more scenes where characters were throwing poop at each other..." I'd say you're crazy. The problem is is that people focus too much on the sex aspect of the LGB+ sexualities. If they were to have a SS couple in a show people would be like, "NOOOO, THAT'S TOO SEXUAL!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!" Or something similar to that. Even if there was no sex involved with it. I do really think there should have been a kiss at the end of the show since there was one at the end of ATLA. Even if it was just at the cheek, so no one would be too confused about whether or not Korrasami was a ship that sailed. It would be really nice to see more LGBT+ representation on children's shows.

15. Simple Thoughts

First off, you have to finish Airbender because it's probably one of the best shows made in a very very long time. It's seriously amazing

Secondly Korra is pretty good. The first season is okay until the last episode where they ruin it and they go full Japan a few times later on, but over all it's a pretty good series.

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2015 at 10:37 AM ----------

I have to be fair to the person I was arguing with. It wasn't that they had anything against gay people it was more that as a parent they wanted to control what time they sat down with their children and talked to them about LGBT stuff and you know if two guys were to kiss on one of their shows it'd force that convo a little earlier. So ultimately it wasn't really homophobia so much as a weird control thing. lol

You're right though people do conflate sex and romance when it comes to the LGBT community.

16. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't there one in Steven universe? The characters Ruby and Sapphire had this scene, where ruby picked sapphire up and spun her around and it looked like they kissed. And then they sang a song that seemed to imply that. It was the most straightforward LGBT thing I've seen in cartoons

17. Ryu

Ryu

Well alot of prime time 'family' shows have some form of nod to LGBT+ characters (e.g the fosters, modern family, etc.), so i guess that's one way kids might find out that gay people exist.

It must be mindblowing for a 5 year old to find out that straight people exist as well as gay people...

#17 Ryu, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Everybody knows Azula and Ty Lee did it first.

<3

19. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :grin: this is true

On the topic though, wasn't there a disney show that got cancelled for featuring a lesbian couple in an episode? Obviously, that kind of thing is a concern for creative teams. Widespread gay marriage rights is still very new in america, and I think it will take a while longer before alternative sexualities are commonplace in kids shows.

Lots of shows have already made a dip into portraying homosexual characters for a younger audience though.

20. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Denis the Menis had something similar before other shows.

Denis was asked if he brought the Misses, he responded with he was nit married, would not ever get married, and even if he did, it would be to a boy.