1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My English Class is going to have a Discussion on Friday...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by galaxygia, Oct 19, 2015.

1. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! :slight_smile:

So this Friday my English class is going to have a round table discussion* about gender identity. She's going to give us some materials to read before the discussion, but I was wondering if anyone had anything else I could read to prepare? I really am interested in the topic but I don't know where to start. :lol:

*Round table discussion - Something my teacher came up with. We sit in a circle in the room and she tracks our conversation using a chart sort of thing. It's really fun and it helps us get to know each other better since she doesn't participate in the conversation. (except if one of us is talking too much) :slight_smile:

Thanks ~

2. Jalo

Jalo Guest

3. Acuba403

I don't really have any materials to give you but if you have any questions, ask away.

4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Got no material or article.
    But any question, blast em right away

5. YinYang

Same as above, I don't have any material for you to read, but you can ask questions. Hit me :slight_smile:

6. ScatteredEarth

I might not be the best candidate to ask these sorta questions, but I'll add my 2 cents if you want :slight_smile:

As for your teacher, I like the way she thinks.

7. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's an interesting topic to touch on. Sadly, my school doesn't allow this kind of things. It's a catholic school. One group in the past wanted to talk about sexuality, and the principal gunned it down quite quickly. Any questions you have though, shoot. I may not be the best source, but I'll try? :3

8. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh, thank you so much I'm going to read it right now :grin:

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 04:34 PM ----------

And also thank you guys so much I'll be sure to ask questions if I have any.

Yeah, I really like my English teacher this year. Last year my English teacher just yelled at us all the time. :/ I feel like I had to sit through three years of crappy teachers to get the good ones this year. We talk about everything in English, like literally. EVERYTHING. We talked about banning books a couple weeks ago, we talked about historic events, and we've also talked about sexuality and now gender identity. :grin: There's also gonna be a lot more discussions when we start reading To Kill a Mockingbird in November

#8 galaxygia, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  9. littleraven

This is so cool. :grin: I really hope the discussion goes well. Gender is really complex. Don't forget those who are genderqueer, agender, polygender and all that good stuff. Let us know how the discussion goes. :slight_smile:

Also, Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird is really interesting when you consider her gender and the time period of the story.

#9 littleraven, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  10. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Believe me, I won't forget :slight_smile: (I'm the type that gets annoyed when people don't include everyone)

Yesyesyes that's so true!!! That's definitely a good point (I've already read the book) and I shall bring this up at some point. Maybe not on Friday since we haven't read it yet but during the course of the year that'll be very interesting. :grin:

11. guitar

What a fantastic idea by the teacher. The issue of gender identity is often never really brought up or discussed and this is a way for kids just entering puberty to really engage with this issue and get a better understanding of exactly what these people go through. Hopefully it opens a new wall of compassion for trans/genderqueer people. :grin: