1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daddy Issues

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Plattyrex, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Plattyrex

Okay, this is my first time starting a thread so hopefully I don't screw it up. My parents don't know I'm gay, and I'm not sure if I ever want to tell them. That being said, I tend to behave in a rather feminine matter and I think it really bothers my dad. He's very conservative and thinks that men should be really... manly I guess? But he seems to be getting more upset with me than usual lately. For example, last weekend he asked me to help him split wood from a tree he cut down. I suck at physical labor, but I usually try and help as much as I can. I did fine for a little while, but then I picked up a log that was a bit too heavy for me and I ended up dropping it on my hand and crushing one of my fingers on the metal wood splitter with it. At First he just laughed, not thinking that it really hurt. I took off my glove and saw that I was bleeding quite a bit and I started to tear up. After that he yelled at me, telling me to 'grow up' and to 'stop being such a pussy'. He just didn't talk about it after that, which made me very uncomfortable. Then today, there was a bee in my room when I got home from school. I really hate bugs, especially spiders and bees, so I tried to avoid my room until my mom got home. When my mom got home I asked her if she could kill it for me, and she did. I was fine and she was fine, so I assumed that there was nothing wrong with the situation. Apparently there was though, as my dad was very angry when he found out. He yelled at me for like five minutes and told me that I could just sleep in the basement next time. He also gets annoyed at me for stupid things like crying during movies, or getting upset when my brother makes fun of me. I really don't want to come off like I'm attention seeking on the internet or anything, I'm just really upset right now and I don't know what to do about my dad.

2. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey there,
    I too am gay and my parents have no clue about it. Although my dad too thinks I'm not manly enough.I have a feminine voice, its not course but very mellow and girly :/
    When I'm in my bathrobe I hate it when people walk into my room. I screamed at Dad because of that and there was a huge argument. He ended up saying, "Why are you so shy, are you a girl?!" I was ready to have a full on fight about that comment but I just ignored him. He keeps trying to correct the way I'm walking, talking and everything else.
    It's quite annoying really.

But I would never come out to my parents.
    I find solace in my friends. They are very supportive :slight_smile:

Hold on tight, we can't possibly change our Dads, as for they way you are, don't change yourself.
    You are perfect as you are.
    P.S. I keep dropping hints on my parents like I roll my eyes when someone talks about girls, I talk a lot to my mum about hair (she's got awesome hair) and totally ignore girls around them.

So hold on tight, and be strong.
    I strongly reccomend having a close friend who understands you. It helps really.
    Hope you feel better :slight_smile:

3. Plattyrex

Thanks for the reply. It's really nice to know that there are other people who are going through the same things. I really appreciate it, and best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Try talking about some topics which both you and your dad like.
    I usually talk about politics and news.
    Ask him who won the match.
    And usually my dad would like it.
    Believe me broach such common topics like your dad's high school life, college chronicles and the like.
    Your dad will feel better.
    And so will you :wink:

5. Plattyrex

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for all your help!

6. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Good to know you feel better!
    Best of luck and I would like to know how your dad responds...
    :slight_smile: