1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point of wearing heels?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was at a function on Sunday and two of the girls who were wearing heels when it started, took them off and put on flat shoes 30 minutes into the event. I get that wearing heels probably makes women feel more feminine and sexy, but why wear them in the first place, if they hurt your feet so much that you take them off a few minutes after putting them on? Could someone please explain this to me, because I don't get it :confused:

#1 Ruby Dragon, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose maybe to seem taller, and some people like how it feels and how it helps them present themselves, even if it does hurt or is uncomfortable, but perhaps it does reach a point when it's too uncomfortable to continue, so they need a break.
    Sometimes a lot of things we do (for style/fashion or other things) seem inconvenient or too uncomfortable to be worth it, but that all just depends on the person. I personally never wore heels in my life even in formals where I had to wear a dress and everything, so I can't personally say why for myself, but I get why some people would.

Anyhow, it's probably akin to my friends questioning why I wear a thick black jacket even on the hotter days ("that must be so stuffy and uncomfortable, why would you even do that?"- I see their point), but sometimes it's just because I like to and it makes me feel better, it's how I like to look, even if I do have to take it off halfway through the day because I'm boiling inside.

#2 Alder, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I guess they like feeling taller. I understand the point(s) you make too.

I have slip-on shoes with a 1.1" heel, and after a few minutes, my feet feel tired and sore and I can't wait to kick them off and put on my flat, comfortable shoes.

On top of being uncomfortable, it's also unhealthy for feet. Feet are meant to bear all your weight evenly along the foot. When you're wearing heels - whether you believe it or not - ALL your weight is placed on your toes! And the shape of some of the shoes force your toes inwards, which leads to bunions if I'm not mistaken. It all seems like torture to me to be honest. Oh well, guess I'll never fully comprehend certain actions, clothing and shoe choices. To each their own I guess :shrug:

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wear a lot of different styles of black boots, and a few have heels. I think it's best to keep comfort in mind, personally. Most of my boots are flatter, but still pretty stylish.

I just sort of do what I like best, whatever is most comfortable and the most my style. I never really understood the more "mainstream" way to dress.

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yeah, I can see how they might be uncomfortable, and the one time I gave it an attempt I didn't personally like it so like I said- I never really wore them in my life, even at formals.

But honestly like you said, to each their own. I think we all do something that can be seen as uncomfortable or incomprehensible to some, but totally worth it in our own eyes. There are folks out there who love wearing heels and various other types of footwear and really, there can be many reasons why. (Also, I think some people are more comfortable in certain types of shoes than others, and vice versa. Each person is different.)

...All in all, keep doing you at the end of the day :thumbsup:

That's totally my own philosophy for how I dress too at any given point.

#5 Alder, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  6. Distant Echo

I can't wear flats, or even go barefoot for too long (too painful) so I have to have some heel on my shoes. Even sneakers need an insert so I can wear them. But I do have a couple of pairs of gorgeous black boots with a good solid heel on them and sandals with solid heels. Stilettos or similar? Never.

7. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pain when wearing flats or going barefoot, probably means your Achilles tendons have been shortened due to prolonged conditioning of your feet being in an uphill position. Not sure how true this is, but that's what I've been told by someone close to me. I "Googled" it to check, and according to this article, wearing heels is detrimental to your feet/legs in more way than one.

But again, to each their own. As long as you're happy with your chosen footwear, and as long as you're comfortable in them, more power to you :slight_smile:

And for the record, I think women wearing heels look sophisticated and sexy. I just can't wrap my mind around it or justify it but meh. Whatever makes them happy :shrug:

Just wanted input from people who wear heels, so that I can understand their reasoning better :slight_smile:

#7 Ruby Dragon, Oct 21, 2015
  8. Distant Echo

Actually my Achilles tendons both snapped when walking in flat shoes...within a week of each other. So yes, they are shortened, but not because of heels

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am about 5'10"...so the "makes you taller" argument really holds no water with me.

Given that, I simply don't wear them. I have a couple pair for "just in case" (y'know, like "just in case I go mad, am on severe pain medication already, the event I'm going to requires gentlemen to wear ties and ladies to wear heels, and I decide to absolutely neglect the health of my feet...I want to be ready for that occasion). But otherwise, I have no reason whatsoever to wear them. I guess I'm just not cut out to be sexy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Jellal

I would never wear them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. candyjiru

Same! I wore huge heels from... maybe 6th grade? So when I started wearing flats... it was kind of a trainwreck, haha~ something with at least a little heel is much more comfortable and I love some nice wedges~~ I had the most adorable pair but they got ruined riding a flume ride T.T *still not over it after 7 years omg* XD;;;

Side note... how do people wear thong flipflops? I look like a total mess and end up falling everywhere trying to wear them T.T I just gave up... T.T

But yes, wearing heels makes me stand straighter and makes my legs look nicer~ You just need to find a pair that fits well and isn't totally crazy... shoes aren't lingerie... you have to wear them for more than 5 minutes before tossing them off XD;;;;

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never understood the point of those spiked heel shoes. They just look like torture instruments that women must endure while men don't have an equivalent.

13. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Heels are a fashion trend I hope dies out. They're attractive, yes, but they are SO bad to wear all the time. People can be attractive in flats just as much as they are in heels without risking their well-being.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They seem scary to me, but if a person wants to, I'm not going to judge them.

But at the same time, it reminds me of something like Chinese foot-binding, to a lesser degree: this idea of 'beauty' that holds women back by restricting their mobility, literally...I mean, you just could not run or walk as fast or with as much dexterity in those things, I'm guessing, and they can't be good for your feet.

15. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They make you taller and stand up straighter. They are very pretty. I can't walk in them though. Even if I could, I don't want to injure my feet. I wear nice flats for work and Skechers for casual wear.

16. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, what's the point of makeup, or fancy clothes, or anything, really? To look attractive and feel confident in your appearance.

Seeing people in high heels really freaks me out; it would be so easy to fuck up your ankles those :confused: I wish society would toss these ideas of what being attractive means, and that everyone could just be comfortable.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aesthetics are important to a lot of people. It's not an unreasonable trade-off, though I certainly think no environment, professional or social, should mandate that women wear heels.

Women who wear heels are perfectly capable of making rational choices with their footwear. Heels aren't a great mystery; they increase height and many people feel sufficiently comfortable in them to wear them regularly.

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2015 at 08:28 AM ----------

I think that comparison is a little ridiculous. Food-binding was a brutal, mutilating practice that prevented female movement from early childhood. Heels are a fashion choice made by modern women who want to be taller and like their appearance in them. Women aren't forced to keep their heels on at all times and, in any case, it's not like a woman in a modern office, boardroom or courtroom needs to be able to run long-distance at any given moment.

18. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I wear heels on occasion. I think it's definitely more to feel sexy and they can make a big difference in an outfit if you're wearing heels vs. wearing flats.

Although I also like wearing heels because I'm really short so then I can be taller for a little while:slight_smile:

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    However as biased as I may be towards no shoes (bare is just lovely :love:slight_smile: heels do look much more elegant. I just hope anyone who wears them is lucky/sensible enough not to overdo it and wreck their feet, for their health and aesthetics' sake. :slight_smile:

#19 Argentwing, Oct 21, 2015
  20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking a bit taller isn't worth utterly fucking up my feet.