1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you ever talk to a family member/ friend again if....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Driftr

...they threatened to out you and they were the only ones in the family or circle of friends who knew your sexuality/gender identity?

And say if it was over something trivial too.

What would you do?

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's horrible. I would let them know that would be the worst thing they could ever do to me, and if they did, I would never forgive them. If they still persist, then I'm blocking them out of my life. Seriously, that's such a long thing you can do to someone that's struggling with their identity.

3. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If it was a family member, I'd eventually forgive them. If it was a friend, It'd most likely permanently ruin the friendship.

Family members often do things out of somewhat good intentions although it seems selfish and ill-intended, but friends should know better.

A friend DID out me once. Or rather, a few times. The first time, I forgave her. THe second time, it made me stop the friendship.

Being out or not is YOUR choice, not someone elses. I don't nescessarily think one should burn all bridges over a threat, though.

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

Ahahahahahaha NOBODY blackmails me. The mere idea that such a thing could be possible is hilarious. I would immediately strip them of what little power they think they hold over me by coming out myself and subsequently extirpating that petty little weasel from my life. Not before giving them the tongue-lashing of their lives. Even if they never intended to actually go through with the threat, the moment they issued it was the moment they betrayed your trust, revealed themselves as manipulative assholes and showed how little they really think of you. Why would you want someone like that in your life? How could you ever trust them with anything again?

#4 RawringSnake, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  5. Driftr

I must say.. this is taken right out of my life right now. And what made it worse is that it was over something so trivial. Plus she (my sister - hate that I have to call her that) doesn't seem remorseful at all after the incident.

Basically we had an argument and she was all like "don't let me expose your little secret" in front of my mom - the secret being her nosy self logged on my user years ago and saw some interesting man-on-man action. Thankfully my mom said she didn't want to know any secret she was talking about or that night I woould have been outed

I just thought I'd ask what any EC users would do in that situation because I seriously don't know if I'll ever talk to my sister again. She's done a lot of insensitive things - like silent treatment for like 7 years over a petty little mess I made- but this is just going too far.

#5 Driftr, Oct 21, 2015
  6. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bitch. She would have to watch out around me, because if I ever got the opportunity to turn the tables on her I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

#6 RawringSnake, Oct 21, 2015
  7. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would be upset if it was in my family. My grandmother is very wealthy and gives me money for my birthdays and Christmas. If she found out I'm bi, who knows if I'd ever receive anything from her again? Selfish, greedy, yes. I'm not in denial about that!
    If someone told the people I work with, I'd also be upset. Some of the people I work with are strict Christians, they might dislike me if they found out.

8. Posthuman666

I would stop commununication with them, family or not. Family is extremely important to me, but true family would never threaten to hurt me in any way. If someone is willing to do that, than they probably do not support me or who I am, and probably harbor negative feelings towards myself and the community.

9. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    O lordie, remind me to never wrong you. Lol!

I feel like... in this situation, perhaps she was just teasing you and never did intend to out you to your mom, ALTHOUGH that's still a pretty crappy thing to do. I don't know how your sister is like, though, if she would actually go that far. How old is she?

10. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um, personally, I wouldn't care. That's just me though. I mean, if I didn't have friends that would bother me, but like, People are cool where I'm from.

11. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually all towards being loyal to friends and family, but if someone would be willing to do that to someone, they're not giving you that loyalty in return. It's manipulation and it's betrayal, and it's unacceptable, and I would have no reason to be loyal to someone like that. Nobody needs that kind of shit in their life.

12. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahahaha, I'm not usually this vindictive, but matters of trust are a sensitive topic for me. It's very, very hard for me to trust people, so if I take that leap and trust someone, only to have them back-stab me (or attempt to) they betta brace themselves, because they will get the horrible displeasure of seeing the ugliest side of me.

And then there's is also the nature of the manipulation itself. I know how these power dynamics work, this little stunt she pulled? This was just her testing the waters. Seeing what she could get away with, how much he was willing to roll over in order to keep the secret hidden. Now she knows, and the next time (oh and there will be a next time) she dangles the carrot in front of him to get her way she will push it a little farther. And each time it's gonna get worst. This is how toxic relationships fester. You gotta stomp these kind of advances out from the onset if you want to have any hope of retaining some control over your life.

#12 RawringSnake, Oct 21, 2015
  13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, for Pete's sake.

If someone has a problem with some aspect of me and finds it necessary to tell the world *anything* I don't want the world to know (because presumably it bothers them in some way that the world doesn't know)...then they are an asshole.

If I resolve to never speak to someone ever again because of...*anything*...then I am an asshole.

I am not an asshole. (or at least I like to think not)

14. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Nope lol I haven't talked to a set of grandparents in two years because I got tired of their shit

15. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They're not real friends if they do it. If they blackmail me because of my sexuality, especially over something trivial, hell, why would I be friends with this kind of person, anyway?

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Nope, dead to me

Not to mention this would be a hilarious failure for them because I dont care who knows im gay

#16 kageshiro, Oct 21, 2015
  17. Ryu

Ryu

Yeah. I don't have a choice, I'll just go along with whatever. Either that or sever their limbs from their body with a penknife that has never been sharpened.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It wouldn't happen. Anything anybody could blackmail me with, I've thought about and prepared a contingency plan. And anything nobody else knows about me but me, stays that way. I know my flaws, my weaknesses, what makes me hesitate and even feel humbled... and if you are stupid enough to attack me there, there is no mercy.

The moment any relationship of mine even began to shift towards such a possibility -- cut 'em. Gone. Done. Out of my life.

I'm not tolerating anybody's speed bumps on this road of life, save maybe my own. And even those don't always get excused.

19. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, this basically explains me. Except I have only one friend besides my mom and sister. And she was a childhood friend. All my other friends were at summer camp so I can't hang out with them.

But to be completely honest, I have nothing to lose, so if someone threatened me I wouldn't care too much. Basically because I'm Bigfoot when it comes to social groups and there isn't anyone to tell that I really care about.

20. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not afraid of being outed, they'd be doing my dirty work for me.