1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room Makeover

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by animefan2861, Oct 21, 2015.

1. animefan2861

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I want to re-do my bedroom. I don't really like how it is anymore. I mean, I love all the pictures and decorations, but they just don't feel much like me now. The color of my walls are actually making my room a bit dark. I want a lighter color but I'm not sure what color or shade I would like. And I'm not sure if I like my carpet much anymore. I want a new dresser, book shelf, I'd like to have all new shelves/storage spaces. I don't wear half of the clothes I have in my closet. There's some things in here that aren't even mine, yet I don't know how I got there.

My room is a bit small and primarily square. My window shades are looking dingy now. I really like my curtains, so I'll probably keep those. I might put my decorations from China into the attic. My room feels too much like a teenager's room. I'd like to give it a more grown-up and mature look. There are some things I'll definitely keep, but I just want to re-do everything.

But the primary things right now:

~ What colors/shades of colors would allow more light to get in and give off a more mature vibe?

~ What are the pros and cons of hardwood floors vs carpet?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm no interior designer, so I guess these are just my personal opinions/assumptions on this stuff.

Hardwood Pros
    -Hardwood looks really sharp
    -Easier to clean
    Hardwood Cons
    -You can't lay on hardwood comfortably, not as comfortable to walk on (unless you use area rugs)
    -Hardwood is expensive
    Carpet Pros
    -Comfortable to lay on/walk on
    Carpet Cons
    -You don't like your carpet now
    -Can get stained more easily

With colors, you'd have a lot of options.

If you want to make your room brighter, any lighter color will probably help with that.

Although I personally like the idea of a room with dark blue or a dark color, but with window frames and furniture being white to contrast. I heard this can make a room look bigger but I'm not sure, I just like the look of that anyway.

Also if you want to make your room appear bigger, mirrors help with that a lot, and having a lot of things all over your walls can make it feel more crowded.

I think it might help to just look at rooms online. If you go to home depot, they often have catalogs with pictures of bedrooms that look nice with different colors.

3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, in my opinion, hardwood is better-
    -Carpet gets easily dirty, and stained, while hardwood does not, but it's expensive/

Colors are fun ^.^

Well, obviously, lighter colors will give off more light. For a mature vibe, you could go with pastels. I think that a light yellow/creme shade, lavender, maybe even pastel green or blue can give that feel. I especially think Light yellow or lavender would do that.

Horizontal stripes can give the illusion of a bigger space, however that might make it look too much like a kid's/teen's room.

You could try doing an accent wall, and make it with a certain type of design, while the other walls are plain. I personally think it makes a room look nice, but maybe not a "mature" vibe to the room. I really like the color combination of a light yellow with marroon.

4. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hardwood floors splinter when they get worn down. If you have an office chair with wheels on it in your room, go for the carpet. Carpeted floors are harder to clean.

Aren't most rooms square?

5. guitar

It really depends on your theme/motif. It sounds like you've got a lot of Asian things (given your screen name as well), usually that involves a lot of gold and red traditionally, which can be a really great combination. Gold yellow walls can look really sharp are rather bright without being overbearing.

My friend just painted his room dark purple and it looks awesome, purple's kind of become the androgynous color anyways over the last couple of years, so it's not really the "gay/girly" color in North American it was kind of considered maybe 10-15 years ago. (again, depends on your tastes).

A medium blue can look really sharp too, especially with white accents (like trim).

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of hardwood (especially in a bedroom), but it is totally an option and looks really sharp. But it can get pricey. Carpet is more comfortable to stand/lay on, and it also has the added benefit of deadening sound. Hardwood rooms echo/reverberate sounds a lot more because hardwood is a reflective surface for sound.

#5 guitar, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  6. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Stains can be cleaned out easily so long as you don't let them settle. I'd go carpet for your room; hardwood can be cold on the feet and slippery or indeed splinter-y.
    Go for light colours: it's more the combination of colours or shades and the choice of furniture that determines how mature a room feels.
    Find lots of individual things you want to hang up or put in your room, take all the old stuff down and then put all the new stuff up at once to get a sense of where everything belongs and how to space them apart. Stick to one type of furniture material/design, otherwise your room will look like a garish or kitschy car boot sale.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Another con of hardwood you may want to consider:

Getting it wet is bad, and it depends on how you do things but you couldn't just walk into your room after a shower dripping because it could ruin the floor over time.

8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes and if it's cheaper hardwood flooring mold can actually form after getting wet due to not being sealed properly...

9. setnyx

hard woods the best imo. easy cleaning is great. having throw rugs around makes it easy to change your color scheme ect. i like a light grey, again easy to change out the look.