1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polyglots

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Oct 21, 2015.

1. grungeteen

Anyone on here a polyglot (or hyper polyglot) or an aspiring polyglot?

I'm an aspiring polyglot and I'm currently fluent in English and Khmer (only speaking and listening tho), I'm intermediate in French which I am in my 4th year of studying at school, beginner to intermediate in Spanish with I am no longer learning but I studied for 2 years at school. I'm currently teaching myself German and Russian and I'm in very very ear.y stages with both. I'm 14.

I just wanted to see if there were any other language enthusiasts here on EC.

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm an aspiring Polyglot. I'm only fluent in English like yourself, speak a little bit of Tagalog.

I know how to speak a little bit of Japanese due to 3 years of classes in High school and one quarter in college.

I'm currently learning the Korean alphabet, and the German language. I can't seem to get the "ich"s right in German... I can't make those sounds with my throat. :frowning2:

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I don't know how many languages one has to know to be a polyglot... But I'm fluent in Swedish and English, and I'm okay at Japanese and German.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm trying to become one, studying in languages and all.

I'm fluent in French and English, a bit farther than intermediate in Spanish, a beginner in German and Italian, plus I have some knowledge of various languages including Norwegian, Chinese and Japanese.

5. Ryujin

I speak English fluently and French to an intermediate level. Currently at the beginner stages with German, and have experience with Japanese, Welsh and Dutch. My main problem is that I can't commit properly, which slows things down. I am considering that that may just not be my style.

Regardless, I've wanted to learn Icelandic for a while so I might have a look at that soon. Maybe just working on whatever language I feel like will help.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only if they are languages invented for Sci-Fi/Fantasy works. :wink:

(I do have a list of languages I want to be conversational in eventually though, so I guess I technically am an "aspiring" polygot:
    Spanish, Mandarin, German, Norwegian, Icelandic, Old Norse, Quenya*, Sindarin*, and Klingon).

* As much as I can, Quenya and Sindarin are not complete languages.

#6 Browncoat, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love languages. I'm only fluent in English so far, but my Japanese is pretty good these days. I used to be pretty good in French while I was studying it in school and I would love to pick it up again. I've also previously studied Cantonese, Russian, and started on Korean but didn't get anywhere with it.

Languages I haven't looked at yet but want to are: Scottish Gaelic, Italian, and Cree.