1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for "surviving" my first, real concert?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MayaBee, Oct 22, 2015.

1. MayaBee

Hey there, so I am 15 and next month is the first time I am going to a concert(so excited!), it's a metal concert.
    Any tips like how to dress or when to come? Would appreciate absolutely everything you can tell me :slight_smile:

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stay away from the mosh pit!

3. Yosia

Dress however you feel like and arrive very early if it is going to be a busy one. If you like attention, then I'd recommend dressing as something silly/funny with the people you are going with because the amount of high fives and stuff is really fun, but wearing anything will do if that's what you want, people are there to enjoy the concert not judge your fashion sense.

And unless you want to go all out for your first time, then I'd recommend standing on the outer bits of the crowd as it can get a bit rough in there, (not dangerous though, people are really respectful at concerts usually.)

4. AlamoCity

Never been to a metal concert (not even sure how they differ from a "normal" concert. But, I suppose wear comfortable shoes (for walking/standing) and arrive early.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get drunk - or is that bad advice to give to a 15 year old?

6. Yosia

Very bad advice! (At least in the eyes of the law, in my eyes it's a fuckin' great idea!)

7. MayaBee

Probably a bad advice/idea, but probably gonna do it^^

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What kind of concert is it

9. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Best. Advice. Ever. :eusa_danc

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming from someone who's been to a lot of punk/hard rock shows: Watch the crowd. If certain people or the crowd in general make you feel uneasy, stay to the side, and stay relatively sober until you feel safe. Most people are there to let loose and have a good time, but there are people who act stupid. If you're a good judge of people, just keep your eyes open and trust your gut and you'll be fine.

11. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dress in something comfortable and not too hot and stuffy, especially if you're going to be right in the middle of the crowd. If something breaks out, like a fight or whatever, stay away from it. Drink lots of water beforehand; if it's anything like some of the musical festivals I've been to, there's going to be a lot of jumping and shouting, and dehydration is very bad.

Arrive early, the last concert I went to people started lining up maybe one or two hours before it started (and I know shows where people arrived so many hours earlier- it depends on who you're seeing).

Stay away from and don't talk to people who set off alarm bells in your head. More or less it should be alright; in my last one some (a lot of) people got drunk and started trashing the place (a few people stole stuff from the merch table- wouldn't recommend that), but that was after the concert near the merch stands. I just stayed away from them.

Stay safe and have fun.

#11 Alder, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  12. guitar

How to dress: band shirt (if you own one), black or blue jeans, or camo pants.

Stay away from the pit. You can stand and dance and enjoy the show, if a moshpit ensues, get to the outside. A lot of venues have banned moshing now, so there's a good chance a pit won't even start.

13. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gonna use this thread for when my dad finally takes me to a concert.

14. guitar

That's really great advice. Couldn't have put it better m'self. :thumbsup:

15. crazydiamond

Stay away from the center of the audience. That's usually where the most pit is. And wear comfortable shoes because there will probably be a lot of standing.

16. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would actually not go drunk. Personally, the high from the show is more than enough for me! Getting fucked (in any, or possibly all, ways) afterwards is good though! Comfortable shoes, and clothes in general, nothing you'll be worried about getting dirty or ripped. A bra that doesn't slip off your shoulders (sports bra, x-back, y-back, etc.)

If you feel comfortable with it feel free to get into the mosh pit. Basically you can stand anywhere based on how comfortable you are. Do take into consideration the "push" when the show starts, you'll move up at least a metre, probably two.

Last piece; just let go, don't think too much, feel it, go with it, enjoy it. :slight_smile:

#16 CJliving, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  17. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do not take any stuff with you when you go in, bottle of water etc is ok, don't take your bag and stuff, leave it in your vehicle. Best to go with friends, stay in the corner if you don't want to mosh. People in the most are usually nice and will help you up if you fall if you do mosh. Don't wear loose clothes nor clothes that are too tight. Keep your hair short or if you're female (or have long hair) tie it up. If you are down try to get up, protect your head and torso with your arms is a good idea. going with the direction of the mosh works too. Work with the direction, not against. if you're down try to get up as fast as possible. people at most (at least the ones i've been to are nice, as long as you don't rub them the wrong way). Getting messed up with substances or alcohol during a show is not a great idea (substances being terrible even otherwise). If you do go with friends or people you know stick with them (especially in the mosh). I'll type up whatever else as it pops into my mind.

#17 Donteatthesushi, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  18. MayaBee

Thank you for the answers :slight_smile: Really got some great help!