1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever had any kind of relationship ruined by politics?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Oct 22, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

As it says in the title.

One of my friendships was essentially ruined today by conflicting political beliefs and I was wondering whether anyone has experienced the same thing.

I know it's stupid to argue over politics but I understand it happens, but to be honest the person was a bit of a dickhead to begin with. They're an 'ethical vegetarian' who still wears real fur and supports the fur trade too, as it happens.

Is it OK to end a friendship over political differences?

#1 rudysteiner, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I had a bunch of very good friends who were Evangelical Christians. They accepted me, but only silently, and continued to flaunt their hyper-conservative social views while cautiously ignoring my identity. I eventually just got tired of it and stopped hanging out with them.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, because I usually avoid the subject.

I know people can't all have the same view as me, and I'm not naive enough to think I can change their opinion. On things such as the student strikes and the independence, I usually don't voice my opinion unless they ask me.

However, when my friends talk about it, more often than not, I find that they agree with me.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With this last federal election we had, I have to say yes. Though to be fair, I seen it coming even if we didn't have this election, but I don't really care.

"...friends who want to stay friends don't discuss religion or politics..."
    -Cole Phelps

#4 Hawk, Oct 22, 2015
  5. rudysteiner

My situation is kind of similar. This particular 'friend' comes from a strict Muslim background, so uses this as an excuse for her beliefs, omitting that she's got a boyfriend at 17, and she lives with her (gay) brother and his boyfriend. She isn't a practising Muslim either. Who said people don't use religion as an excuse for being an asshole?

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've unfollowed, and in a few instances blocked, family members for sharing 'Britain First' crap over Facebook - but in those instances our relationship wasn't very good anyway, and I was looking for an excuse to be rid of them.

#6 imnotreallysure, Oct 22, 2015
  7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No, not really. Contrary to what people think I couldn't care less about politics. My friends are mostly the same too so we get along well.

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had this happen but my opinions seem to be quite unpopular with other people. However, I believe very, very strongly in freedom of speech and would never cut ties with someone simply because of their political opinions, but I would respect their right to cut ties with me because of my opinions.

9. Formality

Same. I've gotten quite a few judging looks from people when I've been arguing politics. I don't mind if someone doesn't agree with me, I do mind however when people try to silence an opinion because they don't agree with it. Or when politics get too one sided. This is something I noticed in school. Whenever we were talking about certain topics it was so one sided and boring. I could stirr shit up at times, which was not always appreciated.

I might've changed relationships by sharing my political views but I wouldn't say I've ruined any.

#9 Formality, Oct 22, 2015
  10. Plattyrex

I usually just pretend to agree with whoever I'm talking to on subjects like that. I feel like most political arguments are very petty and I really wouldn't want to ruin a relationship over them.

11. Theo Weiss

Not many of my friends are politically minded as of yet. The few that do share their political beliefs have mostly been very liberal.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Not really.

The way I look at it, if our friendship was worth anything, we'd be able to respectfully discuss such things and have differing opinions.

I know, I simply ask for too much!

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been abandoned by some people of my old church for sharing my political beliefs regarding equality. Between Kaitlin Jenner transitioning and the gay marriage ruling and certain people's bigotry, I only unfriended a few people that weren't close anyways.

14. Psaurus918

I haven't but I would if someone was crazy with their beliefs. I'm fairly liberal and have conservative friends but they're socially liberal (for gay rights, pro choice etc). But I'd never be friends with someone who was super right to the point where we argued over everything

15. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Haven't talked to grandparents in over 2 years :^)

16. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Nothing has ever been ruined, but there have definitely been arguments. I have more democratic/liberal views while my grandparents have republican/traditional views (my parents are kind of in-between the two). A lot of LGBT arguments, actually. One about Caitlyn Jenner back in July, a marriage equality one (before it was legalized in the US for all 50 states on 6/26/15), a lot more arguments about gays, some more about transgenders, etc... sheesh. It has caused a bit of saltiness in my relationship with my grandparents, but nothing ever completely ruined. They might disown me when I come out myself, though. Or I'll disown them. Who knows?

17. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never over politics (yet) but definitely over touchy subject such as immigration, suicide etc...
    I CANNOT deal with racism or discrimination (or bigotry) in any shape or form so if someone's views about stuff like this differ too much from mine I tend to distance myself.
    I don't think someone who view themselves as superior or more deserving of respect than others should receive my friendship, thankfully I tend to be friend with people whose views are similar to mine. :slight_smile:

18. Yosia

If a mere disagreement ruins a relationship, then the relationship was very weak in the first place. Either that, or people don't know when to say "let's agree to disagree."

19. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some years ago I was involved in a relationship with a guy who was a strong supporter of the Conservative Party, while I was a member of the Labour Party. We had some interesting conversations (especially during the 2001 General Election campaign), as you might imagine.

Even though we came from completely different sides of the political spectrum, we had a great relationship for two years. It certainly wasn't politics that ruined the relationship.

It should be possible to discuss politics and religion, even if you disagree, without being arrogant, obnoxious or disrespectful. More often than not it's your attitude, rather than your opinion that will create division.

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To a certain extent, I agree, but I don't have respect or patience for all political views, and I don't pretend that I find all opinions of equal validity because I absolutely don't.

Sometimes, the political views of of an individual can say a lot about the type of person they are and what values they have - and those values are often selfish, self-serving, racist, xenophobic, or just clouded by ideological nonsense, and I don't want to involve myself with that crowd of people.

#20 imnotreallysure, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015