1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats independence to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spydar, Jan 13, 2009.

1. spydar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    well the header says what this thread is about ,
    make your reply any way you want ,long short funny sarchastic what ever ,

these are just examples to get you started ,but you can use any explanation of the word Independance & what it means to you.

"What is independence to you"? Can you be independant & "one of the gang" would you sacrifice your independance to be with the "in crowd" of your peers?
    I hope to get a lot of interesting contributions ,if this one go`s the well , I have other open questions to put to the community here at EC .
    Spydar.

2. marri

I'm not a very independant person so, I can tell you what I think about dependance...
    being dependant is (shitty) being shy and needing someone around to make sure you're alright. For example, I'm scared shitless to start learning how to drive a car, because when I am driving alone I will feel completly lost.

so, being on the outside, and looking in to the independant people's party, it looks like confidence and knowing who you are and what you want.

seems very far away from me, but I will get there :slight_smile:

3. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel, marri; I was/still kinda am the same way. I still don't like driving places by myself, especially if I've never been there before.

As far as independence goes, I believe that independence is the ability to decide and do things for yourself. Both the deciding and the doing are important, though the doing probably more so than the deciding.

4. Arty

Arty Guest

independant, i think, means solving all of your problems alone, and not always looking to friends for support and comfort. an independant person will cope well without their friends by their sides every minute of the day

5. littledinosaurs

I Guess independence is being able to do what you want without the approval or support of someone else. You don't hold back as much. You can still care about the people around you but if they don't wanna follow you will still push ahead.
    i don't think anyone can be truly independent and have good friends.

6. TheRoof

independence, to me, means that ur self sufficient
    u got a decent job to support urself(rent, food, entertainment whatever)
    u can live by urself without living with parents or guardians.
    can do whatever u want to do-doesnt matter what other people thinks
    decide stuff by yourself without any influences from peers...stuff like that

7. biisme

Independence is a spectrum. The word implies being able to do something(s) for yourdelf: to support for yourself, to be by yourself, to succeed by yourself, cope by yourself, think for yourself and such. If someone is not independent at all, and only relies on others, they they are not truly living. That is when they are not an individual, but solely a copy or an extension of someone else. BNo one can be completely independent. Even if you are isolated from other people, and live in isolation for your whole life, you still depend on the sun, the vegetation, oxygen to survive. To speak truthfully, no one can survive completely on their own.

I guess, ideally, you want to be able to think for yourself. And, thinking for yourself doesn't mean not including others' opinions in your decision making. Being independent doesn't mean beign close-minded. It means decidin what you think is best, regardless of where you recieve your information from, as long as it is your decision.

I think in cliques and other social constraints, many people lose their independence to conform to what the mentality of the group is. And, sometimes it's best to go along. You can't fight every single thing. For example, you can't decide what the group does for every activity ever. In a group independence needs to be varied with compromise. As long as you don't change your views to solely fit in, to pretend to be someone you're not, then you're okay.

8. Mickey

Independence: Free to be ME!

9. I have a strongly independent personality so I'm just going based on how I think. To me, it's being able to do mundane things for yourself (laundry, cook, clean etc). To be able to earn your own money. To be able to walk through life, and feel your worth without needing to be with someone. To have people in your life because you want them there, not because you physically need them or over rely on them.

10. marri

I like the point some of you are making about being able to make your own decisions, being decisive is pretty important to being independant.. I'm not very decisive at all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: