1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the dream job!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connorcode, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

First of all, I'm going to point out that though I want advice, I would also like to hear general advice for anyone, and your experiences and the journeys you've made.

My dream job would be to work in local public history. However, I don't want to go to uni - at least not for a year or two until I'm ready - and pretty much all the jobs on the island in this area require a degree, unless you run your own guide service. I'd love to teach in some way - you don't need any qualifications to teach at the local college, just proof of your skill - I'd need a few years to be that good though! Some people already working there have strange degrees not really relevant to what they do: the events manager has a BA in Art History. I'm already volunteering with the local Heritage group and learning new things every day, so what can I do to get started in that area? Maybe I should start a blog...?

What's your dream job and how are you working towards it?
    If you've already started your dream job, what are you doing, how did you get there and is it what you thought it would be?

2. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dream job would definitely be either a band member or a YouTuber. Or I could be both, that would be even better.

In a band, I'd probably be a singer, but I'd definitely need help writing songs. I can get sort of a main idea of what the song would be about, but for the tune, and rhyming lyrics, and generally making it sound good, I can't do that.

As for YouTube, I'd probably make mostly vlogger-style videos, similar to Dan and Phil. I'd also probably do a lot of covers of my favourite songs, and then maybe once I get a bit of a fanbase on YouTube and people like my singing it might be easier to start a band. I could also ask my fanbase if there's anyone near me who can write songs and would want to be in a band with me, that is if I can't find any friends of mine who would want to.

For now though, my face isn't allowed on the internet so I guess I'll wait maybe a year or two until whenever my mom says I can put my face online, then I'll start my YouTube channel and see where things go from there.

#2 Noodle72, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

My Dream Job is not working around a lot of other workers who gossip, act like they run my life, pretend to be friendly, or criticize me for their mistakes and try to blame me for their mistakes to save themselves.

4. rudysteiner

My dream job would probably be to have my own business where I could bring my dogs to work with me and be able to organise my own holidays etc.

I would love to have the opportunity to work with kids with Down's Syndrome and/or deaf kids too.

5. Ryujin

I'd love to work in mathematics research, which I'm working towards through a near fanatical enjoyment of the subject. Which is good, I suppose, but a hobby I share with literally no one I know. I do work through a lot of stuff that would generally be considered above my level, doing A level stuff in maths classes, and working through a Linear Algebra textbook that my maths teacher has lent me (vector spaces are cool).

In terms of general advice, by local public history, do you mean like the history of your area and teaching people about it? You could always try to get a job at a heritage site, a level above your current volunteering?

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jennifer Lawrence's kept man

If that doesn't work, something like Director of Training & Employee Development for a company in the healthcare/nonprofit/education sector

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dream job would be a freelance one.

I could be a writer, an artist, a translator ect. I don't mind, I just want to be my own boss. I can't stand to have someone above me. I'm studying for the latter, right now. I'm good in languages (except German, the thing is killing me right now), so I can assimilate them quickly.

As for writing and drawing, I already do that in my free time (which is when I don't have school. School kills free time with homework...). If I could get paid for it on top of it, it would be the cherry on the sundae!

8. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My dream job would be to be an invincible programmer, and start some company maybe........

(*d r e a m y*)

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ideally, I'd like to be a barrister. I study hard and I'm fairly certain I'll be accepted to study law next year.

Dedication, a good work ethic, being realistic but hopeful, making sure you take as many or the best opportunities in education and/or other training and actually having a passion are a good start.

By the time you're ready to choose a career path, even broadly, your previous circumstances, primarily education, will have dictated what's possible and what isn't. Just making the best of what's available is really important in reaching goal. But cruising at the lower end of what's required is a very poor idea; I'd advise you to get a relevant education and not just 'wing it' with an amateur's interest. It's also important because your goals today are not going to be your goals in the future; being properly educated is so important in making sure you can branch out or step up from what your dream today is, because if that dream becomes reality, you may find better opportunities higher up.

#9 Aussie792, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015