1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a nice person? How important is being nice, to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alder, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Questions above.

Also, are you a selfish person, and do those two necessarily contradict itself?

After all, it can be argued you can be nice and selfish at the same time, and also vice versa.

What is kindness to you, and how / to what extent do you value it in yourself? How about in others?

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like to think I am a nice person, however I am incredibly selfish. Self preservation always comes before helping others, but ironically, self destruction comes before that :/ Weird, I know.

For me, kindness is knowing when to give in. Even when you're arguing with your worst enemy, there comes a point when it goes to far, and kindness is knowing to stop before it gets out of hand.
    Kindness is knowing that when a child shows you a drawing, you should always tell them how brilliant it is, even if you hate children.
    Kindness is making others feel good even if you don't feel happy yourself.

3. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I consider myself a nice person, something I often have confirmed by others.
    With niceness I associate politeness, caring for others, warm-heartedness, and being able to show a genuine interest in others.

I value niceness highly. I'm told I'm too nice sometimes, which I suppose is true, but I still think people should do their best to be nice.
    If someone isn't nice, they're not someone I want to associate with. They don't have to be uber nice to everyone, but it's important they're not self-centered asshats.

I don't consider myself a very selfish person, though I used to be a little self-obsessed. They don't necessarily contradict, nice and selfish, but I do feel like in order to be genuinely nice, one has to think about others than themrselves, if that makes sense?

Hope I answered your questions well enough :slight_smile:

4. Ashley2103

I try to be a nice person, but I do have a bad side I have trouble containing. It is really for others to judge if I am a nice person or not.

5. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, being nice is good.

6. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As to whether I'm nice, I'd say no. Externally, I am-kind, polite, thoughtful-my upbringing drilled that into more very core. Can't shake it off even if I want to (which I don't plan on). Inside I'm a ball of negative emotions with 10 insults to a single sentence that comes out of a person's mouth. As to how much I value being nice to, it depends on who I'm with, to gauge how much I 'need to be nice'. If it's someone I can get an advantage from, I'm at my best-polite, thoughtful and the smallest bit sarcastic to make them trust and like me. If not, I really don't give a damn. I will be polite, but dismissive, at best.

Being selfish and being nice are part and parcel of life-almost like ying and yang. There has to be a balance as to how nice and how selfish, and both will only value to a certain, but set, amount. In percentages, it could be 60% selfish-40% nice. For me, to those I'm close to, I'm actually very selfish in the form of not caring. I don't put up pretences of being nice when I'm with people I'm close to, if not, I will.

Kindness is...something that allows you to get ahead. (Selfish, yes.) That's all I can really say about it. To me, since I do fake it the most, it's really a tool to help me get an advantage over the others.

7. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, I believe I'm kind.
    My parents taught me to be kind, by being just the opposite.
    But I'm biased, I'm overly protective of MY friends, and when someone else tries to enter our circle, I become very cranky.
    I believe its very important to be kind, it makes the world a better place :slight_smile:

8. ChicoFranco

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like to think am nice. I have been told by lots of people that i am, especially by how I handle and interact with children. I'm also kind and compassionate. I cry when I want to help someone in dire need but cant. It breaks my heart. i try to love everyone and not judge them. I am, however selfish: not very selfish though. I like my stuff left alone and hate to share some of my things. Those people who just take my stuff without even asking , are murdered horribly in my mind...with a smile on the outside :slight_smile:

9. DinelodiiGitli

Eh, depends on your definition of 'nice'.

I guess I'm kind just a little unconventionally so. If we mean nice as in outwardly friendly then no; I'm a complete a**. If we mean nice as in forgiving and polite than yeah, I'm nice.

10. Jellal

I think I'm nice enough. To me being "nice" means not being a jerk to people, being polite. However I also think "nice"-ness is very superficial. It's not the same as generosity or true kindness. A lot of the time I'm not generous or kind to people, really thoughtful and considerate of them and everything they could potentially be going through.

To me, it's important to be "nice" just so people don't perceive me as an enemy. I hate having enemies. Kindness and generosity may be important, but they are personally not very important to me ... if they were, I would be doing community service. I'm mostly just interested in the happiness of my friends and family. And even then, I rarely ever do things just for them alone.

EDIT:
    So yeah, I'm pretty selfish. But I'm not entirely selfish; once in a blue moon I will spontaneously do an altruistic thing. Like give away my food to a homeless guy, or step in to help someone at a personal risk to myself. But these are very rare instances. I could basically count them on one hand. Still, I'm capable of doing them ... whenever I look back on circumstances like this, I wonder what caused me to act so out-of-character. I guess sometimes I just do what feels right. Most of the time I don't feel anything too strongly about right or wrong, though. So I'm still not sure what comes over me exactly.
    But there are some people who seem to live most of their lives this way! That fascinates me.

#10 Jellal, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm way too nice and I know it. I usually put others' needs before my own, and spend too much time worrying that I said something wrong even if it was justified. Kindness and loyalty are important to me, I just need to work on putting myself first sometimes.

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm nice to people who are worthy and not to people I don't like.
    I believe I could be nicer, but I don't really care that much.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm polite, but I'm not so concerned about being nice as I am about not being a weak-willed individual who can't stand up for themselves. Others - particularly family members - expect me to be 'nice' to people who don't deserve it, just to keep the peace, but that's not who I am at all. So, to a few, I'm probably not nice, or downright mean, but I can absolutely assure you that they deserve whatever they get.

#14 imnotreallysure, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  15. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I try to be nice, but for some reason I always find a way to be an asshole. Hate it.

16. Xanesa21

Uhh i always had a problem to evaluate or define myself.
    I think im nice person atleast :slight_smile:

17. CyanChachki

I am to an extent. If I feel that a person isn't being nice, fair or honest, I probably won't be as nice back.

18. Yosia

How do you define 'nice'?

I am a polite person, well-mannered, helpful towards others, and very honest.

But I am not 'fake' person who is overly friendly. I am very straightforward and a lot of people dislike this, and I also can be fairly cold.

Besides, it's not about being nice, it's about being a good person.

19. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think we'd all like to think that we're nice people. There's really no way of knowing on here though. Being nice is pretty important to me, but, people always make mistakes.

20. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm generally nice and polite to most people but if you piss me off I'll make sure to let you know!