1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some LGBT info?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ImaGuy, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ImaGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I am new to this community, and I don't know what most of these words on here mean. Things like omniromantic asexual? Those are long words. Is there someplace on this vast web if internetz that can give me the LGBTQ+ 101 lesson? I mean I know what I am, and have put a word to it, which is nice, but I want to understand others too. So, thanks in advance.

ImaGuy(!)

2. Lyana

Welcome to EC, ImaGuy!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Yeah, the community seems to like long, wordy, sometimes confusing labels.

When you see X-romantic Y-sexual, that's based off the idea that sexual orientation (which would be which gender(s) you're attracted to sexually) and romantic orientation (the gender(s) you're attracted to romantically) don't necessarily match up. Omniromantic asexual, then, would be someone who can fall in love with people of any gender (omni is the same as pan, both prefixes mean "all"), but does not experience sexual attraction. Can't say I've ever seen that particular label before, but even when you come across new labels, they're not that hard to decipher once you're used to the same basic logic that's behind them all.

I can't really give you a list of all the terms you might encounter -- that would take ages, and might not be that useful to you. This could be a good place to start with the basics. But when on EC, don't be afraid to ask what a certain word means if you're unsure. Otherwise, you can always google specific terms when you don't know what they mean, and learn them one at a time.

3. Posthuman666