1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other than being transgender, what has Kaitlyn Jenner done to receive such attention

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Oct 28, 2015.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm being 100% serious here, I know she is/was an athlete/performer/socialité but other than that.... I have the feeling that she has received too much attention for absolutely nothing. I could be wrong though, that's the reason I am asking

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Other than being transgender, what has Kaitlyn Jenner done to receive such attent

She is a very, very important figure! Caitlyn has brought a massive amount of attention to the transgender the community, spreading awareness and just generally showing that hey, trans people exist! I'm pretty sure she does stuff for the community as well, and just in general many people can look up to her.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Re: Other than being transgender, what has Kaitlyn Jenner done to receive such attent

It's true, before her coming out I never even heard of the name bruce jenner in my life. I guess it has something to do with her connection with the kardashian family, and being one of the 1st transgender people to make a big media scene with her coming out and really that's all. Apparently she also murdered someone although I neither know or care if that is even true.

4. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people

These are my thoughts as well. The car accident was true, and even though it WAS an accident I don't think the Transgender community needs this kind of troubled celebrities. I mean, I'm glad she's being talked about, living her life happily, making us visible, winning all these woman of the year awards and stuff, but I'm sure there must be a lot more talented trangender people out there that people could look up too as well, and yet they receive 0% of the attention Caitlyin is getting

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

We live in an age with an extremely strong strain of petty materialism. While it may not be as bad as the yuppie culture of the '80s, a lot of people, especially young people, are enthralled by wealth and fame. Her popularity in part comes from that.

Caitlyn Jenner may have been able to raise publicity for trans issues, but beyond that she does represent a very shallow culture that should be regarded with concern. Comparable public figures, such as Laverne Cox, are perhaps more challenging in terms of what they want to see for trans rights, the quality and depth of their activism and the more holistic approach they take to social, political and legal reform.

Caitlyn Jenner has been a good way to open the conversation to more people, but she hasn't offered much in terms of proposals for policy reforms. That conversation can get more tangible results, but I'm not going to deny that Jenner has at least helped a little to remove the rug under which a lot of people have been sweeping trans issues for too long.

#5 Aussie792, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people

I have a lot more respect for Laverne Cox and all the hundred of invisible transgender people that could actually make a difference.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think for one, it's her bravery. I know there have been some other trans celebrities, but I think her coming out got more attention because she was seen as a very masculine athlete for her whole life and she had the courage to be herself even at this age, despite the her fame.
    Other than that, I understand how it's kind of a lot because she wasn't like a major celebrity before that. So I think it's more about what she represents for people than who she is as a person. And in fact, she's actually not a very accepting person surprisingly so I think she's more important as a figure than as a role model if that makes sense.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

For better or worse she has given the transgender community alot of publicity. Around here you pretty much just hear everyone complain about her, but I wouldn't doubt that she has been inspiration for alot of people struggling with trans issues. I know she's no MLK or Ghandi but she is better than nothing I guess.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I really don't know. I've never been a fan of Jenner or any of the Kardashians.

In my opinion, I think Laverne Cox is a much better role model for transgender people.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Y'mean apart from being an Olympic Gold Medalist and being the spokesperson for Wheaties for all those years an' all?

I dunno...we seem to give most Olympic Gold Medalists a shitton of attention. I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing...just that we do.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Not just an Olympic Gold Medalist, but winning **7** Olympic Gold Medals in one Olympic Games. Caitlyn, when she went by Bruce, was widely regarded as the most accomplished Olympic athlete ever. I believe that record may have been equalled, but I don't think it's been broken... and Jenner did it before the era of high-tech clothing, "legal" doping and training techniques used today, which makes it all the more impressive.

It's kind of sad that people under 30 or so have no idea who she was as an athlete, because she really captured the heart and imagination of a nation, and inspired a lot of people to do amazing things back in the early 70s.

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I was a kid when she won all the medals as Bruce. Everyone was so proud. I even remember The picture of Bruce on the cereal box!

I was soooo disappointed when, as Bruce, she got into reality TV with the Kardashians. While, prior to her coming out, I sensed there was something that just did not seem right about her.

Shocked, was an understatement for my initial reaction when I read about her transition. At first, I thought I lost a childhood hero.

But now that shock has been replaced by admiration. I might not agree with the way in which her message is delivered via reality TV, but I do think she does deliver a positive message.

She is s real champion. One decade a gold medal winner, and today spreading the message of acceptance and equality. Amazing!

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Just to clarify, when she came out, I was personally dealing with my own internalised homophobia demons. And I reacted poorly to the news.

However, her coming out actually helped me deal with my own demons. Her courage strengthened my courage. As such, she remains a true champion!

14. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

There is a former Navy Seal, Kristen Beck, who came out as transgender and she's now an activist, pushing for rights to allow trans individuals in the military. She's been around long before Caitlyn Jenner came into the spotlight.

There's Jazz Jennings, a young Trans teen, 15 years old, who is also an activist for transgender rights. She's been doing her own thing to help in whatever way she can, and she's been at it years before Caitlyn Jenner came into the spotlight.

There's Laverne Cox, an actress working Orange Is The New Black and she's an activist for Trans rights.

I'm sounding like a broken record, but I don't see Caitlyn Jenner really doing much other than coming out and transitioning. But coming out is still a great achievement in itself, because that has helped other trans youth see themselves in a better light. However, she is still quite a bad role model beyond that fact.

I'm sorry to sound rude but tbh she was charged with hitting some guy with her car, and that case was dropped. Then there was that bit with Ellen on Caitlyn's views about Gay Marriage. Media coverage was on her and exploiting everything like they always do, and it's been giving some bad coverage and reinforcing stereotypes rather than actually helping.

#14 WolfyFluff, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015