1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copycat Bisexuals?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Oct 30, 2015.

1. grungeteen

I was just wondering.

Have any of you ever known or had the experience of someone who came out as Like bisexual and then a friend or someone else copied them and 'came out' too but there were actually straight and was just a copy cat.

I know it probably seems unlikely but I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this?

Especially that nowadays, it seems to be quite 'cool' to be bi or gay especially among young teen girls (as much as I hate it and wish it weren't true, it kinda is). It's like become the new popular fad.

2. DinelodiiGitli

Nope, can't say I have.

I've come across kids online (*cough* tumblr *cough cough*), especially 'scene' kids who pretend to be bi and then proceed to talk about how gross it'd be to kiss someone of the same sex though.

3. Plattyrex

I'm in a very conservative area, so people tend to keep quiet about their sexuality anyway.

4. CyanChachki

It happened a lot when I was in high school.

5. rudysteiner

Yeah, loads as of recently.

6. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Oh, yes. I have a large group of queer friends that meet up at random times (age 13 - 21 I think, big ass age gap but whatever), and I used to have this straight cis friend who was a girl. Someone came out as gay, she'd claim she was a lesbian then go make out with some dude the next day. I came out as transgender, suddenly she's transgender too. It's been a while since stuff like this happened, and I still see her going about the school, rubbing up on her newest boyfriend. Guess it just got too annoying for me.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I've known people like that in middle school and high school, plus I see it online a fair amount too. I guess in places that are accepting, it's trendy now for (usually girls it seems like?) to pretend to be gay or bi. Even being trans is trendy in some places now (tumblr).

9. Lipstick Leuger

I just chalk it up to the young discovering who and what they are. It is normal for teens to try on many roles, looks and thought processes. They keep what they like/what fits and discard the rest. Why should sexuality be any different?

10. TheStormInside

Back in college a friend of a friend visited and had just recently come out as lesbian, so she of course talked about that some. A different friend then told us she was bi. I can't say for sure if she is or not, I don't presume to know what's going on in other people's heads, but it never really came up again, and over ten years later she's only dated guys, so... *shrug.* Like Lipstick Leuger said, some of it may just be "experimenting" with different identities. In my friend's case I suspect she either worked herself into thinking she was bi or she is bi but is only very slightly into women. Back then it wasn't exactly "cool" like some people think it is now, but we were in an art school so the vibe was definitely liberal and open.

11. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently that's half-three quarts of my juniors of 2-3 years. Since I come from an all-girls school, we're quite open when it comes to sexuality. I wouldn't say we have many PDA cases (due to it also being a catholic school, where sexuality is actually tried to be suppressed by the teachers), we have many 'who's-les-and-bi' cases floating all around the school. It's not uncommon, actually-especially in my class, with many of the 'popular' ones, we have many shippings.

My level is split into 2 streams, and my stream (the smaller one) has only 3 classes, and many are very popular throughout the school because they excel in sports. The most popular (and well, available) one is bi/les, so there are many juniors pretending to be as such. Was chatting with her and another classmate the other day-they were talking about juniors dating with no strings attached, and most probably pretending to be bi/les because it's cool and not allowed in my school. Honestly I find the entire concept of pretending to be LGBT when they aren't stupid and immature.

But if they find it cool and they want to pretend to be as such, who are we to even tell them anything, or to tell them to stop? in the end, whatever the suffer or gain from it, it's their problem. It's just...stupid, to me. Unless they're seriously experimenting-if it's for fun or popularity, which is usually the case for me-then...yeeea.

12. Lipstick Leuger

I think that is why we didn't run onto anyone really 'pretending' to be gay then. I can't wrap my head around it. I am 46 so it was really not a good thing for others to find out you were. Now, the oppourtunity is there so why not try it out? In artsy areas, I think that it was always much more accepted.

13. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    people thought I was when my best friend came out before me, but it turns out that he wasn't actually bi so I don't think that counts.

14. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lololololol hahahahaha I find that insanely funny because it's kinda the opposite here. Everyone's accepting at my school but it's almost taboo to bring up sexuality for some reason. However I am lucky to have friends that are all about breaking barriers and talking about new things so it's not that much of a problem. But no one really WANTS to be bisexual at least as far as I know and no one WANTS to be gay/pan either. I just have three other queer friends and we break some walls down, enlighten a few people, and break more walls.