1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metrosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by armydude, Nov 1, 2015.

1. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A lot of you will probably perceive this thread as ignorant, but I'm gonna post it anyways.

I'm wondering how many truly "Metrosexual" straight people you know. Personally, I have a number of friends whose sexuality seems questionable due to their interests. One dude for instance, dates women yet posts on social media constantly about cats, Pinterest, poetry and other subjects uncommon to a heterosexual male. During all the closeted years I spent trying to be the stereotypical straight dude, I would've avoided that kind of stuff at all costs lest people gain suspicion. I will also say that virtually all my friends are of the masculine straight variety, and none would ever feign an interest in these sorts of things. So it's an intriguing issue to me, because I can't really understand the nature of this atypical behavior.

Do you think people who come off as "metrosexual" are often hiding their sexuality? Or would you argue that they are simply more open minded than peers who readily identify with gender norms?

#1 armydude, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. Yosia

I know quite a lot. Honestly, it just makes me really happy that people are deciding to break through the norms. While I used to believe that some were just hiding their sexuality, I don't believe that this is the case as much now.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it's just that men have a lot more societal pressure to be really masculine that makes this so odd. A girl with a few tomboyish traits is rarely questioned about being straight but a guy who's a bit arty and likes cats seems like he's hiding his sexuality? It's just a societal thing that limits guys.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think so, I mean, [at least in the UK] we're becoming more accepting of people being who they want to be and since a man enjoying, for example, shopping isn't hurting anyone.

I might never come to understand this, but I don't understand the idea of cross-dressing. I mean, if cross-dressing is ''wearing clothes made for the other gender'' - who decides what clothing is made for girls and what clothing is made for boys? - I mean, does that mean that I'm always cross-dressing, being agender?.

#4 Secrets5, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What's a metrosexual? :confused2:

6. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's someone that does stereotypically gay things, or acts like the other gender but is heterosexual. That's how I understand it at least. Where in Michigan are you from? I am from metro Detroit but went up north a lot as a kid.

7. Ryu

Ryu

Oh... Isn't this just being camp? I know loads of people who are camp.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really must be quite a backwater where they regard Pinterest, cats and poetry to be scarily feminine for men. Especially poetry, which has been dominated by men for an inconceivably long time.

None of these things relate at all to sexuality. They scarcely break gender norms, if they do at all.

9. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That backwater you're referring to is called the US of A.

'Merica

10. 741852963

No, metrosexual refers more to pride in appearance, care in grooming, love of fashion etc.

Incidentally, metrosexual seems to the "default" mode for guys nowadays, most guys could fit under this category so no, unless the majority of men are gay, it is not a sign of homosexuality.

Funnily enough as little as 15 years ago, things like having bleached/dyed hair, peircings, wearing better than basic clothes would have been causes for suspicion, instantly flagging someone as more than likely gay. But now these trends have been adopted by the masses. A straight man I get the train with has waxed up hair, a "designer" beard, and diamond stud earrings (he is a thing of beauty in his skintight jeans and tight tops, but I digress!), and how many men do you see with tunnels and eyebrow piercings?

Only last year we had the whole "floral" trend and every Tom, Dick and Harry walking the streets wearing luridly pink flowery Hawaiian-style shirts and shorts (I thought it was quite adorable actually :lol:slight_smile:. I think a lot of straight men essentially jumped on the gay fashion bandwagon, and many gay men got bored and got off!

I think in europe football (soccer) has a lot to do with it.

11. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I get what you're saying. I met multiple guys around my age group who act quite feminine, but are straight. I have a cousin who I would perceive to be gay just because of the way he acts and what his interests are, but he's getting married to his soon-to-be wife later this month. Sometimes I truly wonder if he's straight but it would definitely be wrong of me to bring it up and ask him. It just goes to show that EVERYBODY is different and personalities/interests really don't correlate to which sex someone is attracted to.

In terms of interests/hobbies, I personally know some gay/bi guys who love sports and hates fashion, decorating, and cooking (all seen as interests related to gay men). I also met some straight guys who don't care for sports and would rather paint/design stuff. It's just the way some people are and their interests may not perfectly line up with what society views as "activities associated with LGBT people" and "activities associated with straight guys/girls". It's really all just stereotypes.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not sure if metrosexuals may really be straight people or are LGBT who cover up their sexuality. I know one guy who was very feminine and went by "metrosexual". He came out of the closet about a year later.

I'm sure it's possible that there's people who actually are metrosexual (even if they are like Kinsey 1 or 1.5 ish). Although, I think it's more common than not that people really do hide their sexual orientation.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I find "metrosexual" a little ridiculous. I understand it has this growing acknowledgement in society, as it pretty much says, 'a guy who may not necessarily conform to expected maleness'.

But it makes as much sense as calling somebody "nicesexual", if they're nicer than the average individual. Where does the sexual aspect come into play? Excluding those who may have a 'neat' or 'grooming' fetish, it seems a tad unnecessary having that part.

As for those who embrace this, it's whatever. I can't really knock folks for wanting to take care of themselves and maintain proper hygiene.

14. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :lol: I've seen A LOT of them lately. They have pencil line eyebrows, shaved legs, they listen to Lady Gaga, among other stuff. I can't help but wonder if they really are straight.

15. AlamoCity

Hodgepodge of points that may or may not make sense:
    I do feel many traits that are "manly" and "feminine" tend to be quite unevenly categorized and the difference may only be if the job is done for pay or not; involves wood or natural gas, meat or flour.

Guy is a line cook at a diner: "manly."
    Guy cooks dinners for family: not so "manly."
    Guy BBQs: "manly."
    Guy bakes cakes: not so "manly."

That said, even in the US of A, what is considered "manly" or not can be vastly based on geography, ethnic background, educational attainment, socioeconomic status, local culture, etc. In some circles, poetry might be seen as "proper" for a man to do; in others, not so much.

I think metrosexuality is more of a symptom of wealth and abundance in society. When you have in excess of your basic needs taken care of, you tend to look for ways to spend the excess capital. Wardrobe and body care products are a good bet for many. This trend, however, then trickles down to all segments of society to where it becomes "trendy." Women then find the look attractive and males follow suit in order to appear more desirable to potential suitors.

Also, "metrosexuality," has led to the marketing of many new hypoallergenic products for sensitive skin. As a person who has a skin that hates many kinds of chemical products, I am glad that the market for personal care products has expanded.

I am probably weird, but I sometimes also consider people who dress/accessorize/act in a way that might be construed as "hyper masculine" almost as people who adopt a facade in order to appear more "manly" (or whatnot) than what society would rate them.

For instance, people who dress very "metal" with their spiked studs and "battle jackets" that emblazes the patches of all the "cool" and "hardcore" bands they like seems almost like they go out of their way to adopt the traits associated with (masculine) Nordic heavy metal subculture.

Whenever I see people with Browning stickers on their vehicles (the one that looks like a deer) I get this urge to ask them if their Browning was made in Belgium or Portugal (or elsewhere) and hear their response. I suspect 1/3 of people with Browning stickers think it looks "cool," 1/3 thinks it's "manly"/popular, and 1/3 bought a Browning and wanted to show off. (Similarly, why in the world do people put Apple stickers on their vehicles?)

I will admit I have been told by my own mother that I am quite a pessimistic and cynical curmudgeon.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in finance so, well, a lot of the guys I know are metro but definitely not gay--trust me, my gaydar's pretty good.

I actually would differ with your definition though. Yes, it's straight guys who do stereotypically gay things, but particular things: moisturizing, fancy food and cooking, fine wine, being a little fastidious with their grooming and clothing, maybe working out a little too religiously. Basically it's doing the things that urban people who like gay guys associate with gay guys--the things that make straight women ask why straight guys can't be more like gay guys. Pinterest, cats and poetry wouldn't ring as metrosexual to practically anyone I know.

17. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Excellent post. I agree with pretty much everything you said... especially the tangent where you ranted about bumper stickers lol

18. 741852963

And even that depends on area.

In recent years in the UK its kind of become the "manly trend" for a man to cook for his family (its perfectly accepted), largely inspired by TV chefs such as Jamie Oliver in the 90s and 00s. Yet go back as little as 20 years and you'd likely hear "you what?! Your husband/Dad cooks?!".

And baking is a funny one, its largely broken down between savoury and sweet:

Savoury (Bread, pies etc) - perfectly manly
    Sweet (Cake, tarts, desserts) - very effeminate

It's so silly. Its the same in the eating, whilst its accepted for women to talk about their love of cake/chocolate/icecream, for men that would be frowned upon.

I think some of it might come down to the "sugar and spice and all things nice" rhyme. Or maybe some sort of evolutionary behaviour - sweet foods being luxuries that tough men are supposed to forego. That is part of wider stereotypes, whenever you have adverts highlighting comfort you'll never see a man. The whole idea of "being cosy" (wrm lighting, warm fabrics, comfort food) is still largely gendered as a female thing. Things are ever so slowly changing though, like this recent ad of a man indulging himself with a homely mac and cheese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbIYP3M3X8c

19. Posthuman666

Metrosexuality is not a sexuality. Being a feminine male is called being a feminine male. Even you are keen on labels, even gender non conforming male.

The concept of addressing what defines male and female traits and interests is a whole new conversation....

20. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might just be in a sour mood, but identifying as "meterosexual" is laughable. Stick to "no homo" for God's sake.