1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just saw a homophobic fight on facebook

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Nov 2, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of my FB friends (who's gay) uploaded a profile pic of him and his partner together smiling at the camera. I thought the pic was nice. A lot of people thumbed up the picture and gave supporting comments. However, one guy (let's call him John) left a comment saying, "Thats just sick bro. Keep it to yourself."

Sooo many people were appalled by his homophobic comment and replied back and tried to defend the gay couple. When asked why John thought it was wrong, he replied, "Your shoving it down our throats...THATS why its wrong." This whole argument didn't turn out well.

What I don't understand is that John has HUNDREDS of photos with him and his girlfriend kissing, holding holds, etc. By his logic, HE is shoving his sexuality down our throats. His own profile picture is a close up of him and her kissing on the couch. When commenters mentioned that, he said "That's different cuz its normal." and blah blah blah..

It resulted in the gay guy unfriending John and I noticed John was down about 10 friends since that fight. But WTF? :tantrum: How is it "shoving it down your throats" when all the picture was was a close up of a gay couple smiling? He barely has any other pictures of his partner together. I'm kinda pissed right now. :dry:

2. DietCoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i hate that so much. I over heard two guys talking at work once and one of them said 'I don't mind gay guys at all, really I think they're cool and all. But I don't want to see that on the street ya know? Like keep that behind close doors." I was of course livid that this guy thought of himself as "pro-gay" and could be so small minded and self involved. Idiots are always going to be idiots. You're right to be angry, I'm ducking pissed off now too just reading your recounting of it. Am I allowed to say ducking? Well duck, I'm ducking pissed

3. YinYang

*Sigh* I get why you are pissed. Sadly, this is somewhat common. I'm glad people stepped up to support the friend who posted the picture.

4. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That is so lame, especially since the picture was so innocent. I'm glad that people stepped up for him, though.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Imagine having parents like that. I was told in no uncertain terms last year after coming out that I should "watch my behavior with any bf at family functions because it[embracing, holding hands etc.] makes people uncomfortable." Typically, when people say this, THEY are the ones uncomfortable and rarely anyone else.

6. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This sickens me down deep.I experienced something like this on an online game where person a was gay and one of my friends and this person b was homophobic.He was saying this person a shoul be killed or him being gay and saying stuff like that.It hurts me te most knowing my brother is gay and that he may experience stuff like that but if course I could suffer biphobic attacks but you get what I mean

7. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate it when people say that Gay men should keep it to themselves. We never say that to straight guys when they kiss their girlfriends.

8. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I totally agree. If someone is uncomfortable around another person, it really is there own damn problem. Plus, if someone really feels uncomfortable around gay people, then they are more than welcome to look the other way. The homophobic guy on FB could have easily not said anything. He didn't have to even click on the gay guy's profile. Whatever happened to the "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" saying. I guess it's still acceptable for some people to dis LGBT people and insult them though.

The whole argument turned out ugly and there were some even more hateful slurs the guy said, but I won't go into detail. I'm still pissed. :tantrum: :bang:

9. CyanChachki

I believe that saying "shoving it down our throats" is a blinded excuse. What I mean by that is that people aren't used to seeing it, and will highlight a gay couple when they are spotted. Add that with a dash of homophobia and you've got yourself a "shoving it down our throats" comment.

Most homophobics believe that LGBTQ+ people are doing it for attention, that it's some sort of trend and that's simply it. It's the lack of knowledge and bounds of misinformation that they're raised to believe and the refusal to believe the correct information when they've grown up. I'm not saying that it's right and I'm not giving them an excuse, because it's not right and there is no excuse.. sadly, your ex friends is going to have to truck through these invasive, homophobic thoughts in order to better himself and the understanding of people in general. You can't go through life hating people for something that only hinders and effects yourself. As soon as he realizes that, he'll be on a better path, I suppose.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Facebook fights?

Dear God, are we still in 2009?

11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was going to say something similar earlier... :/

12. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I should post a picture of a slave being free from handcuffs. Caption it as:

Lincoln: I'm glad to have finally set this man free!
    Other Politician: Sheesh, Lincoln, why are you shoving this anti-slavery propaganda down our throats?
    Lincoln: I have only a few pictures of setting a slave free compared to the hundredss of your pictures of making your slaves work.
    Other Politician: But that's normal!

13. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha that's true I suppose. It wasn't really a "fight" per say. Just some homophobe trying to insult the gay couple and LGBT people in general.

LOL :lol:

#13 SubZero, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  14. Ryu

Ryu

Hahah! Lol!

But seriously, this is no suprise, there are so many wankers on the internet (both metaphorically and literally, but this focuses on the former) that thos is no suprise and some dick is bound to comment on something that they think is wrong. There's no point in getting in a hissy over it, the internet is bound to vomit back up on people that don't deserve it.

15. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Seems like john has his own inner battle to deal with. Some friend glad people backed up our friend and not john