1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone from Ireland?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ally Girl, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Ally Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    anyone else on here Irish? just wondering how have you found being lgbt in our country? or even just in general, just curious, I am new to all this

2. CharlieAwesome

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, I'm not much help but I'm from Wales, close to Ireland lol, I do know of a sizeable lgbt community here, unfortunately for me they're almost exclusively girls, Wales is pretty tiny so if we have so many lgbt people (not so many boys my age though) Ireland must have more, I mean you did have same sex marriage before we did. I hope I answered at least part of your question :slight_smile:

Ps I know a bisexual guy from Kilkenny so there's at least two of you. :slight_smile:

#2 CharlieAwesome, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. Ally Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you, I do know several people in the lgbt community like my best friend is trans and I know a few others was just wondering what others thoughts were on what its like aswell

4. AlamoCity

Eire am not from Ireland.

5. ScatteredEarth

I'm not from Ireland but I want to visit the Emerald Isle one of these days :slight_smile:

As far as the UK and the rest of Ireland goes, it's put in a somewhat progressive light so I'd assume there's a favorable view overall to being LGBT there, and if not, well then my info is most likely wrong.

6. FootballFan101

Im from Donegal!!

7. Ally Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Awh hello! I'm in Meath!

8. StarlessSky

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I am in the Republic of Ireland. As for the LGBT community I have no clue. I am still firmly on the closet and have never met another LGBT person, that I know of. I think that there are still prejudices against the community. With the equality bill now in law I hope that the Irish will be more accepting,
    less conservative and less prejudicial.

#8 StarlessSky, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not from Ireland, but I've been there. It feels a lot like here, but the weather is a bit worse.

10. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Born in Limerick (1955),lived in Dublin from '72.
    Didn't know what gay was until I moved to Dublin!
    Being gay was illegal up until 1993, during the late 70' early 80' there was a good gay seene that was semi-underground. I disappeared in to the clinic in 1986 - I got married. I know a few people that got fired or not promoted because they were gay.
    Now things are completely different. Last week I was standing at a bus stop in Dublin when two guys walked by holding hands. Nobody batted an eyelid. A minute later a guy walked by playing rap music and a few people true their eyes to heaven.
    Nephews of mine have a gay friend, by all accounts he is as lightly to "pull" in a straight pub as anywhere else. So there is no need for a gay seene!
    I occasionally meet a person that is homophonic, but that rare. I was at a conference of older people (60 up) most welcomed the equality referendum result.
    So I think Ireland is a great place to be gay, in comparison to when I was young.

11. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not from Ireland but I spent a school year there (it was an exchange year).
    I knew of one girl who was bi and it was a really big thing for the other international students at my school but I guess everyone was okay with it. We also had an LGBT awareness week at that school and most of the students seemed very open minded.When the voting for the same-sex marriage thing came up everyone I knew was for it and they got really upset about peope on the streets demonstrating against it.

So to me it seems like Ireland is a great country for the LGBT+ community (even though there are some exceptions like everywhere)

I lived in Wicklow btw