1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer team offer £100 million for a player!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partietraumatic, Jan 15, 2009.

1. partietraumatic

Well i for those of you who don't follow football (yes,thats what its called,not soccer lol) i shall set the scene. There is a footballer called Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite, known as Kaka, from Brazil. He is in the top 3 footballers in the world and arguably the best. There is a team in England called Manchester City, now they are not very good,they are near the bottom of our top league, but last summer an Arab Skeikh called Sheikh Monsour bin Zayed al Nahyan. He is a member of the royal family of Abu Dhabi. He is thought to be worth about £33 billion (about $48 billion) and his family has a worth of about £322 billion. When he brought Manchester City last summer he instantly brought for the team another brazillian known as Robinho for about £32 million. When this happened he said it was going to be the first of many big money players.

This week has seen this start to happen. AC Milan,the team who Kaka plays for, have confirmed that Manchester City have offered them £100 million to buy Kaka. This would be more than double the most that has ever been played for one player. On top of this Manchester City have reportedly offered him a salary of £500 000 per WEEK!!

As a lover of the sport of football i am horrified by this. The game shouldn't be about money,its not good to have one team throwing around so much cash like this. If Kaka decides to leave AC Milan,one of the best teams in Europe, to join Manchester City, not even one of the best teams in England,it will destroy my faith in the sport, as it will prove that its now all about how much money you have.

On top of this i think it is obscene that in a time of global recession when so many people around the world struggle to pay their mortgage or keep their jobs, that a sports teams is offering sums of money like this.

What are everyone elses opinions on this story, and the role of money in sport in general? Personally i think money needs to be involved,but when figures like this,totally out of touch with the world at large, are involved it starts to make me think that its not right...

2. Nixon

arod gets $275,000,000

3. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    What Are You Talking About The Names Soccer
    oh and soccers sucks go basketball

4. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

It will become like Aussie Rules footy, and they'll have a salary cap, so the teams with money still can't out perform the low budget teams.

5. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

They need to be paid, obviously, but I think that even one million is too much. People around the world get paid much less to do much more. I think it's gone way beyond ridiculous...

6. Yeah, to me sports players are paid ridiculous amounts. Like that person that was mention is getting 100 million pounds offered, that's approximately $200 million. It always seemed like they get paid soooo much.

Lol, whatever. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Kaka is seriously stupid if he goes to Man city. I mean even with all that cash they are still only 3 places above relegation!! He is too good a player to waste playing for the likes on City. Just look at what has happened to Robino. It's so sad when players waste their talent just to get money, although it could make the premier league a little more interesting I suppose!!

8. partietraumatic

sooo true :frowning2:

i will lose all faith in the sport if he goes,it will just prove its more about money than what you can achieve

9. ColdSnap

wow i hate football xD

10. JustAnotherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is there to hate, I mean all those hot footballers :grin:

Sadly AC Milan are between a rock and a hard place, they would be crazy not to except a 100 million plus bid for one of their players. I'm still not sure it will happen though I get the feeling Kaka doesn't want to move just for the money.

It just so happens that right now the BBC are reporting that the deal has fallen through, thank god.