1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting fired from a job awkwardness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrSecret, Nov 3, 2015.

1. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I've never had a job in my eighteen years (Sad I know) and I finally decided to apply to my local grocery store. I had applied twice last year but I never got a call. Well this time, they seem like they really need employees because they've have a hiring sign for months and are doing open interviews this week.

I'm really hoping I get the job as it's very close to my house, my only problem is of course, if I ever get fired/quit. If I get fired for not doing my job correctly or something, it will be EXTREMELY awkward to shop there. It's my local store, so my family goes there all the time.

I don't think I'm the person to majorly screw up into getting fired, but it's in the back of my mind.

Anyone have any experience of quitting or getting fired and still visit that store? My sister had a job and she was let go (She actually didn't like it and didn't want to be re-hired) and she said she would never go there again because of the awkwardness.

#1 MrSecret, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. ok455

When i worked at Target i quit it was a hot mess there. I had to go there and pick up my final paycheck and everyone just said they missed me and i should of never quit after a few months i didn't recognize anyone that worked there. Retail has such a high turn over you can get fired today and 3 months later all new people is working there.

Don't worry about getting fired as long you do your job and do it well they wont fire you.

3. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Always be a professional even during a firing or layoff. Don't burn bridges. You'll be fine. Most employers of entry level workers understand that those employees aren't going to be around long-term. When quitting make sure to give adequate notice, two weeks in the US, and thank them for the opportunity. Try to stay with the employer for at least a year unless you both had the understanding up front that it was to be a temporary position. Subsequent employers will notice how long you stayed with your previous jobs.

4. PennyMonkey96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to work at a Kmart, I quit, and every time I went for like a month or so some of the employees would just point and stare. After that month passed most of those employees were replaced. So after a while the people there were all new people.

5. poopledum

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think the possibility of getting a job and being a bit more independent is worth the risk of possibly feeling a bit awkward/embarrassed. Remember that most people only care about themselves/people close to them anyway, they probably won't remember everyone they rejected.

6. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this.

Besides, retail jobs (which a grocery store job is) has high turnover. It's not unusual to see former employees shop there. I worked at an office supply store on and off for a few years. There were roughly two dozen employees who worked there at any given time, yet only ~3-4 people who worked there when I started still worked there when I quit. The manager who hired decided to hire me was not one of them. During that time, I would occasionally see former employees shop there.

There are drawbacks to working in retail (mostly low pay and rude/entitled customers who look down on "the help", see reddit.com/r/talesfromretail for more info), but the awkwardness of being a former employee shopping there as a customer isn't a big deal.

#6 BobObob, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. RainbowDude

RainbowDude Guest

I used to work in a well known retail store but left due to the drawbacks of working in a retail job (low pay and rude customers). Also, I was offered a better job elsewhere. I still often shop in that store for most of my food shopping. For a few weeks it was awkward as I would get people asking why I had left but after a while people got used to the fact that I no longer worked there.

I agree that the awkwardness of being a former employee shopping there as a customer isn't a big deal as 3 years after quitting I don't recognise anyone I used to work with in the store.