1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in "The One" ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fimo, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Fimo

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey everybody !
    A quick introduction before going straight to the heart of the matter !
    As I am a very philosophical person, and I love to walk in circles in my room, having internal conversations on various subjects. However, me, myself and I have the same opinions about a lot of things, and I never get to hear other aspects of what i'm self-debating about. I hope that I can find other people on here, to discuss with, and here your opinions on various topics, the first one being:

Do you believe in "The One" ? (this would apply to non-poly people)

My personal opinion (i'm gonna try to be short here ^^):

The concept of "The One" as it is generally defined, is that of a person that would complete you, as if they were made for you. That at some point in your life, you are meant to meet, you're meant to talk, to get along, to get together, and no matter what happens, it will always be them for you, and you for them, and nobody else.
    I believe that it can be reassuring for some people to feel like there is someone out there who is perfect for them, and that they are meant to meet at one time or another. Like they wont be alone forever, as the're is this someone out there.
    There's this famous myth from Plato, that states that we originally there was another type of human, made of two people couple together, as assemble in one body. One only body with two faces, for arms, four legs, two genitalias. And then Zeus was mad or something and he split them up, and spread them on earth. Now their only true fate is to find each other's soul again.
    This is, i suppose the concept of soul mates, the one, whatever you want to call it. In that sense, no matter what happens, you have your other half somewhere in this planet. But that would also mean that, by the time you didn't find them, it will never work with someone else like it would with this person, and you can never truly be complete unless you found that one person. It's sad isn't it ?
    Also, this would mean that you are not free to decide who you're going to end up with. The idea of freedom is very important to me, and feeling like i am not the master of my fate makes me anxious. I don't want to believe that there is something that decides what we do in life, like some sense of fate, of destiny. Then you'd never be free to do what you want, but your life would be guided by some bigger force that we don't know of.

Even if I do want to believe that I won't end up alone, I am a scientist, and have a really realist mind. I don't believe there is such "the one".
    I believe that there are actually tons of perfects matches for you, and once you've found one of them you'll know. And that doesn't mean they are perfect, you could always find a match t'at will be even better for you, and that's why we so often break up, because we think that the slightest problem in a relationship means we're not meant to be together.
    I believe that you need to be objective enough to realize that you are content with what you have, and stop seeking for a potential "better", that you might, or might not find. That's the one to me. That doesn't mean you need to settle with the first person you see in the next minute. That doesn't mean you have to settle at all. You could just go from relationship to relationship, if you're fine with it.

Of course all of this is personal, and i'd like to know what you guys think.

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe that during a person's lifetime, they can connect with many people, so I believe there can be a few "Ones."

3. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think that there is one single person that was meant for you. People constantly fall in and out of love. I'm not a believer of destiny, so theories like "the One" (Neo) or "true love" don't make sense for me.

4. MrSkittles

Yes and i have found "The One" for me :slight_smile:

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Of course I believe in myself.

Serious time
    You may enjoy this thread.

To copy and paste from there:

#5 Kaiser, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are basically three different and independent propositions that are generally conflated in this discussion:

1) People are able to have an immediate almost mystical connection that transcends the physical and the way one normally gets to know people.

2) There's someone out there for everyone.

3) There's only one perfect match for anyone.

I believe one out of three are true. I've experienced the first one. When my husband and I met it was like we recognized each other. The shock was immediate and overpowering in a way that I previously would not have thought possible. I had been around the block quite a few times and practically couldn't believe my ears when I heard myself telling him the next morning that I thought this was a long haul thing. He felt the same way. It's been eighteen years and I'm still not sure either of us fully understand what happened.

As to the other two I guess I don't really have any way to know. But my gut tells me that there are people for whom there would be countless perfect matches out there and I equally believe that some people, well, there may not be anyone.

7. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I believe there is no one, but multiple potential matches. With is good news as it means becoming a widow doesnt condemmn you to loneliness.

Also a relationship can improve or get worse depending on your decisions and those of your partner, so a good relationship can become bad if you are not careful.

8. Ryujin

I suppose I believe in "soul mates" by logical necessity

that is
    I accept that axiom that the universe works through cause and effect
    therefore every event has a cause
    therefore all future events have causes
    therefore future events are determined by their causes
    therefore all future events are already predetermined
    therefore if one does eventually meet a person who they fall in love with and stay with for the rest of their life, then they were always destined to meet that person, as their meeting was caused by a chain of cause and effect going to back to the initial configuration of the universe
    therefore their "soul mate" if we define soul mate as the person a given person is destined to fall in love with, exists

9. Distant Echo

No. I don't believe in "The One" as a forever, meant to be, relationship.

I think that's placing too high an expectation on a relationship and dooming it to failure.

Or maybe (???) I'm just cynical

Saying that, I am envious of couples that have spent a long time together, but I always wonder if they are happy.

Yeah, I'm cynical.

I do want someone to grow old disgracefully with. I just don't think I'll get to do that.

10. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd like to think so actually. But I doubt it. I guess there's people meant to be in your life at a certain time, & be important in some way. But that's about it.

11. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I suppose I do. I guess I don't believe that only one person in the world could be a life partner for you (although I guess now that I say that, I kind of feel inclined to think the opposite).
    I guess I believe that through fate and your experiences and choices, you could eventually end up with "the one" and they're the one simply because they're the one that you wound up with naturally. And maybe to some extent you can change how that happens and who is the one based on your choices, but you still don't know who the one might be anyway so you're not really controlling anything to begin with even though they are your own choices, you just kind of end up there.
    I'm not really good at articulating this I guess:slight_smile: Now I'm kind of getting confused haha, but I think bottom line is that it depends on how you define "the one"

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your argument in no way implies that such a person is out there for everybody. It just says that if you find someone perfect, then it was fated to happen. Not a useful philosophy, to my eye.

---------- Post added 3rd Nov 2015 at 09:16 PM ----------

This on the other hand, pretty much perfectly sums up my own views on the subject.

My partner and I clicked beautifully almost right away...took us a while to realize we were in love, but once we figured it out, the whole relationship has *felt* fated, necessary, and perfect. BUT, there have since been plenty of other people with whom I feel pretty certain I could have developed an equally close, meaningful, and "perfect" relationship (in fact, I'm now trying to retrain myself to stop throwing such relationships away).

I believe that most people...maybe all...are *capable of learning* to give and receive love. But I don't believe all innately have that ability. If a person has the ability to give and receive love, then there will be people with whom they can also have such a "perfect" relationship...probably many. But if they don't have that ability, then they might find a partner, but they'll be like two people lost in the wilderness together.

13. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Frankly, I don't believe in "the one", because it implies that there is only one person meant for you. In reality, there can be many people you meet that would be great to be in a relationship with, but monogamy is the norm so you do have to choose only one.

14. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think there's a such thing as "the one" or even true love. People find the best they can get, and settle for that. There's nothing wrong with it but that's a fact.

15. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t necessarily believe in soulmates, but I do believe that people can be right for each other. You will meet more than one person in your life who’ll be especially compatible with you- a friend, a mentor, a partner- in that sense you could say multiple soulmates, but not really ‘the one.’ A match made in Heaven, is something I don’t quite see as realistic at least from my perspective; I don’t believe any two people are predestined to be together or who are so perfect for each other that they’re irrefutable soulmates, but I do believe that two people can from the get go naturally form a very strong connection and understanding with each other. It is true that some people just click better with each other than with almost anyone else.

There may not necessarily be soulmates (though what do I know), but maybe simply two people who love each other and care about each other, who work well with each other, and ultimately will work at their relationship and create something that is ideal, or as close to ideal as it can get, for the two of them. I don’t really think at this point in time that there is any one person perfectly made for another in this world, but there is a possibility of someone being very right. There might simply be people we grow to be very close with-either immediately or over a period of time- maybe even fall in love with, and with those people the mutual effort and care will sustain a relationship that in my opinion is just as meaningful as any soulmate story out there- perhaps made even more meaningful because it isn’t perfect, but there are two people who will try to make it good. We make our own story and our own relationships, and we work at them the best we can, and sometimes they're naturally good. If it works out for you in a way that is a soulmate level, then I have nothing to argue against that.

16. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I totally agree with you.

17. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ideally, yes.

However, recently, I don't know anymore.

18. PokeGleek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I absolutely believe in "the one". Although it might be an unrealistic idea for most people, I believe that there is only one person out there for you.

19. Yosia

It's a tad bit inconvenient, because they could be anywhere in the world, could be dead, in prison or any of that. ;w;

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heterosexuality is also the norm. Does that mean that you have to choose someone of the opposite sex?