1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Gear/Rainbow Flags etc...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Manitoban, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Manitoban

How do you guys feel when you see a rainbow flag hung at a store or a window sticker?
    Similarly how do you feel when you see other people wearing rainbow brackets, pins, buttons etc ... ?

I'm assuming this is a common feeling but I like to see stores show their support. And as for other people I love to know people in general walking around are at least supportive if not LGBT themselves! Just an awesome feeling knowing you're not the only one on the bus or whatever!

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I do like seeing it. It makes me feel safe, and I feel like I'm able to be myself in those facilities.

As for people wearing rainbow bracelets, I actually wish gay people wore them more, haha. It would totally get rid of the whole guessing game.

3. ledja

ledja Guest

100% agree.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love it. I don't see any of that around here, but a few years back when I returned to Vancouver for a visit coincidentally during Pride Week, seeing the rainbow flag hung in places and in stores made me really happy. I agree, it makes me feel safe and it's comforting.

Seeing other people wearing stuff like that is very nice too. Although I think we all know we're not the only LGBT+ person walking around, it can sometimes feel that way. Seeing even subtle support in the form of a rainbow pin or something like that is pretty nice, and seeing a giant rainbow flag hanging off a building is brilliant, not to mention it looks great too.

#4 Alder, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. CyanChachki

It's nice to see because I know I can be myself around them.

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I was closeted, any reference to the LGBT+ community used to make me feel extremely uncomfortable, as if it was taunting me. Now that I'm out, they make me feel proud and safe.

7. anamnesis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In our county the most people don't know what mean the rainbow color for LGBT and what mean people who use the LGBT-symbolics. But i think it's danger use this color on print in clothes.

If i see on the street people who use symbolics i will smile. They really brave!

8. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I used to think to myself that it was unnessecary to wear rainbow accessories and such. I mean, why advertise one's sexuality? But then, I realised that it's not about wanting to advertise it or shove it in anyone's faces, it's to show others that "hey, I'm here too! This is a part of me!"

9. Justinian20

I actually have a rainbow shirt which I hope expresses my sexuality in the way, a rainbow bracelet does because I want the world to know I'm gay.

10. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This exactly :slight_smile:

11. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I'm not sure I like it. If you look at an actual rainbow it includes every particle of colour ever to exist. However, the rainbow for LGBT* excludes SAB [straight and binary]. Which isn't what a rainbow is. Sorry if that causes offense, but it does exclude groups and I'm pretty sure LGBT*s message is to include everyone.

12. Burnedcloset

Not much rainbow stuff here but, every couple weeks I'll see a car with the human rights campaign = sign bumper sticker. And yes I get tickled when I see it.

13. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly I hate that the rainbow flag has become the symbol of gay rights. All it does is reaffirm stereotypes that gay people are somehow more flamboyant and "colorful" than straight folks. As a full grown man, I really don't want to have to identify with a freaking rainbow just because I'm homosexual. That's humiliating. Why not just make the symbol a unicorn with a dildo for its horn, just to wipe out any self respect I have left if I ever wear the rainbow stuff.

Don't think I will ever be caught dead buying anything with a rainbow flag on it. It's a really degrading image and I hope the Gay rights activists come to their senses about that eventually.

#13 armydude, Nov 4, 2015
  14. Joelouis

When I first read your post, I disagreed. Then I read if again and actually think you've got a good valid point.

Also, I think Secrets5 is spot on.

15. guitar

Ditto to both. I actually wear a pride bracelet for that very reason. I'm not obviously gay, and wearing that bracelet has helped to get me more than a few flirts :wink:

16. DinelodiiGitli

It restores a little of my faith in humanity.

Really though, if I see someone wearing something pride related you can bet they're going to a get nod of approval from me. I admire that courage given where I live.

17. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, that's one opinion. personally i dont mind the rainbow, and am planning on picking up something like a ring or necklace. i already have an Egale rainbow bracelet that i wear when im not at work.

just courious, what symbol would you use as an identifier. just like in the military, symbols identify, focus pride, and allow people to be seen together, even when they are apart.

18. guitar

Why does it exclude straight and binary? Also, what does binary mean - is BIsexual not BInary? Plus, plenty of straight people show display the rainbow flag as a sign of support for sexual minorities.

From my understanding, the point of the rainbow as a sign is inclusiveness for everyone: all humans live under the rainbow after a storm kind-of-thing.

19. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who also wears a pride bracelet, I can hardly diss it. Although it annoys me a little when people wear rainbow-related things yet are against LGBT rights. :dry:

Other than that, I love seeing others wear rainbow related things and in shops too. It just makes it feel a lot more relaxed and safer somehow. There's something comforting about it for me.

(*hug*)

#19 Canterpiece, Nov 4, 2015
  20. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rainbows can also be a symbol of the goodness within the sadness [it takes a sun and rain to make a rainbow].

I'm not saying being anti-LGBT* is a good thing, all I'm saying is there's more than one symbolism for the same symbol.