1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About cover songs...Am I the only one annoyed by this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ModernCat, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

A singer covers a song and changes the words a bit because it's written in the opposite gender's perspective. They change up the pronouns.

For example, a girl sings "When I was your man" by Bruno Mars.
    She changes the words from "I should've brought you flowers .... When I was your man"
    to "You should've brought me flowers....When you were my man".

Here's another one; a guy sings 'Teenage dream' by Katy Perry.
    He changes it from "You think I'm pretty without a makeup on" to "I think you're pretty without a makeup on".

If I were 100% straight; and I were covering songs, I wouldn't change the words from a song just because the song's written in straight opposite gender's perspective. For me I feel like it changes the song completely, it kills the feel of the song. Perhaps they think it's 'gay' to not change the pronouns. I mean who cares, it's just a song. I always thought it was an odd thing to do.

2. Elliiexriley

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah, that really annoys me too! :O
    I thought I was the only one.

3. candyjiru

I think cover songs aren't about copying exactly, but about putting your own spin on it~ so, I have no problem with people changing it a bit, since it's their version and not a direct copy... If I wanted to hear the exact same thing, I'd just listen to the original...

4. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This :slight_smile:

5. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's really obvious I'd get a little annoyed if it made the song hitch, but other then that, I fine it perfectly fine. I don't listen closely to lyrics often, anyway...

6. isarisk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So why is gender the only 'personal spin'? Why not other lyrics?

The only other thing I've heard people change are names, if the name is referring to the person singing.

7. guitar

Whenever I sing Community Property by Steel Panther I change the lyrics to "If suddenly you weren't a guy I'd be suddenly straight." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And no, that doesn't bother me at all. I did that when we covered a song on our album. Some bands changes sings around drastically when doing a cover, not just lyrics. A new interpretation of a song is the point of a cover.

8. timo

Angel Haze completely re-wrote Macklemore's Same Love when she covered it, and, to be honest, I like it better than the original. She wrote it being queer herself, instead of from a supportive viewpoint.

[youtube]4XNix3Pf_c4[/youtube]

I like it when artists put something from themselves into their cover.

9. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Michael Buble's version of Santa baby. He changes the Santa baby part to "Santa buddy". BLEH

10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I've heard that one being played before. I just don't think it sounds right, it just doesn't go as well in the song.

11. Distant Echo

It depends on the song and the singer
    Lost without you - Delta Goodrems version and Darren Hayes cover. And the version they sang together. All great songs but his version is so much better.

12. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I think it's the persons own choice as to whether or not they change the pronoun. It's what a cover is. I mean, anybody whose not the writer is technically doing a cover. For example, Sherman & Sherman wrote ''Supercalifragalistic...'' and yes, Julie Andrews was the first person to sing it [wonderfully], but it wasn't her work. She's doing a cover of someone else's music. Anyway, that's the way I see it.

13. photoguy93

Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. It just depends on the song.

I guess I won't complain about a Katy Perry song because...well......it's Katy Perry.

However, if it's a classic song - sing it like the original. Don't screw with it. That really bugs me.

14. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think this is a little crazy lol. Not everything has to be related to gender identity issues. They're just trying to get the song to make sense from their perspective. You're overthinking it!

Actually was just listening to a song called "Jolene" the other day, originally by Dolly Parton but covered by Jack White. When I heard the Jack White version it confused the hell out of me and I remember thinking "dude, just change the lyrics around a little bit". Then I turned the song off because him singing the woman's pov as a straight dude was hard to follow.

So I guess we're polar opposites on this one haha

15. CyanChachki

Doing the He to She or vice verse doesn't bother me, but yes, when they change a sentence in the lyrics to fit their gender, it bothers me. I also don't like when people change some lyrics in general or when they go off onto a weird singing solo that isn't part of the song.

16. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha reminds me when I saw in so much denial over my sexuality I would change all the her's to his' and she's to him's because I was really scared of that part of me.

I don't mind it, as long as they don't change an entire line of a song to suite their gender.
    I don't know, it's a song you didn't write in the first place. Why is it so important to change just one line?

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It doesnt bother me.

18. candyjiru

I meant other spins like changing the tempo, style, instruments, etc, but people change other lyrics as well, but usually don't because there was a reason they chose that song as one they wanted to cover~ ^.^ The others just autotune it and use it as a sample XD;;;

19. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that music is an expression of human emotion through strings of beautiful tones and words. And, particularly with singing- To give your all in a performance, it's important to feel the song and be the song. When people make minor changes like that, it's adding that personal connection in, connecting the words to a similar feeling, and expressing that through their voice.

The thing about covers is, it's your interpretation of the song and like Candyjiru said, it's awesome when people put a personal touch onto their singing.

#19 loveislove01, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Johnny Cash changed the lyric from "I wear this crown of shit" to "I wear this crown of thorns", in the song Hurt by NIN. Usually lyric changes don't bother me, but that one ground my gears a bit. It's crazy how much one word can change the feel of a song, although I understand why the changes were made.

I get why the majority of people prefer Cash's cover, with the soft acoustic sounds, and his solid, haunting voice, but NIN's skreechy instrumentals and patchy vocals has always connected more for me. It's the kind of sound you can feel in your bones