1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to visit in your hometown

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CandyKing, Nov 11, 2015.

1. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Suggest places to visit in your home town.

I suggest you visit The Book Thing, which is a place in Baltimore that give away unlimited free book.

2. AlamoCity

There's this very small historical place called the Alamo. The Riverwalk is also very nice, especially when they string up Christmas lights. The Pearl Brewery is nice to eat or shop at the farmers market but it's too yuppie and hipster. La Cantera has some good (read: expensive) shopping. For REALLY good deals, the outlets in San Marcos (about 40 minutes away) are some of the best in the country.

3. Distant Echo

Lol. Nowhere in this place. I wouldn't mention my hometown on here anyway :wink:

4. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My city was rated one of the most boring cities in my state, and for good reason, lol! Absolutely nothing to do here, unless you find going to the plethora of nearby fast food restaurants fun.

5. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Places to visit in Mumbai would be The Gateway Of India, The Taj Hotel, The Ranibaug zoo, Juhu Chowpatty (beach), Bandra etc

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I probably live in the most boring city in North America, there's absolutely nothing to do here. :/

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The beach and piers in the town where I live are quite common tourist spots but other than that, I recommend you check out our extensive variety of charity shops, where you will find some amazing brick-a-brack and 70s shirts. Afterwards, you'll enjoy hanging out at the old, dirty train station with the local chavs: graffiti and drugs are rife in this land of cheap housing!

#7 Reciprocal, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't live in Great Yarmouth by any chance do you? I've been to that town and it feels like the final frontier..

Oh, nevermind - Greater Yarmouth is in Norfolk. I might be thinking of Lowestoft which is similarly bad.

#8 imnotreallysure, Nov 12, 2015
  9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's an Italian restaurant in downtown run by first generation Americans since 1973. In the unlikely event you find yourself in my hometown, that's where to go. Sorry I can't name it, as my hometown has a population of about 6,200 and its small enough that someone might recognize me. :dry:

10. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't name my city specifically, but around here there are a couple really good pizza places, there's a bakery not far that makes exceedingly good cookies, there's a really friendly and cozy bookstore, there's a cannery that's been turned into a homely furniture store, it's a massive place but still manages to feel like the living room of a cabin in the woods. There's probably more I'm forgetting, but that's what I've got rn.

11. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, obviously the Alamo. And the library downtown is pretty awesome too. The zoo is really amazing (KOMODO DRAGON), and so is the Japanese Tea Garden. And the riverwalk is really impressive with the christmas lights.

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Pothole Observatory :slight_smile: Finest potholes in the country :')

13. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you can see the belugas in the St-Lawrence from my hometown. Apart from that, it's pretty ordinary.

14. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well the number one activity is to go to the local party store and buy beer.

If you get bored of that, you can spice things up and go to the other party store and buy other beer.

That covers most of the attractions in my town.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from the Federal Parliament (and the old one, which is now a museum of democracy) and the endless number of Commonwealth-level institutions (main seat of the High Court, the National Library etc.) or national monuments like Australian War Memorial, there's little of interest here.

We do have a dinosaur museum in some far-flung corner of the city I've been to once, which is either pretty rad or rather sad. The cafés and restaurants are nice, but they're expensive and try too much to emulate Melbourne, which doesn't work because it's infinitely more lively in Melbourne.

It's often derided as one of the most boring cities in Australia. I'm not sure I can really reject that. It's probably more interesting and pleasant to live here than it is to visit.

16. Joelouis

It's pretty safe to say that all the seaside towns from Kingston-Upon-Hull, right down the East coast then along to Portsmouth are similarly as bad as each other.

And as for me, I live in a village in the south of England, so there's not much to recommend around here.

#16 Joelouis, Nov 12, 2015
  17. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

you can go to the wendy's i guess i mean there's not much to do here tbh

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suggest--no, I strongly urge--that visitors to my town visit the highway that leads out of here. That highway will lead to vastly more interesting places to visit.

19. MtnCase

I grew up very near a city that has lots of awesome things! The most well-known attraction is the Gateway Arch but I suggest the City Museum (not really a museum- just check it out), Forest Park (larger than New York's Central Park) which includes free admission to places such as one of the nation's top-ranked zoos, a neat Science Discovery Center, history museum, art museum, outdoor theater called the Muny, and so much more! Apart from that you should check out awesome restaurants like Fitz's (delicious rootbeer and american cuisine) and Crown Candy. Also, you MUST try "toasted Ravioli". I promise its good. If you're not sure where to find it you can try one of The Pasta House locations.

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brighton's pretty cool though.

As for where I live - it's hard to say specifically, it depends on your interests. There are some museums and art galleries worth checking out if you're ever in the vicinity. Loads of shops and restaurants. Lots of bars. Good music venues. You can check out the Grand Theatre too, if there's anything you want to see.

Ooh actually there's this little picture house called the Hyde Park Picture House that's always displaying some interesting obscure films, especially during the International Film Festival, which is taking place right now. http://www.leedsfilm.com/ http://www.hydeparkpicturehouse.co.uk/

And the German Market is fun too, which opens during the Christmas period.

Belgrave Music Hall is pretty popular lately: http://www.belgravemusichall.com/

#20 imnotreallysure, Nov 12, 2015