1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shevanel, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Shevanel

I hate it. Usually it seems I just voluntarily don't sleep all night and sleep a bit during the day, sometimes wasting the entire day. Thats not insomnia though, that's just being nocturnal i guess lol. But right now, I'm still sobering up from rather early partying (i came back to my dorm only around 1AM) and I should've been sleeping hours ago, like 4AM at least. I'm really tired and I just can't sleep at all, this probably isn't insomnia either but I don't know what else to call it. I've got brunch in 30 minutes with friends too, so I guess theres no point in trying to sleep anymore. For the past 2 hours I've just been lying in bed with headphones in my ears listening to Tool and that certainly hasn't helped me fall asleep either, but it did relax me, usually I would fall asleep doing that, but I didn't. i just hate this, this happens all too often to me, I just hope I don't repeat 1st semester or I'll be kicked out of college. I'm sure that won't happen though, I plan on actually doing work this semester. Sorry for the random rant, the alcohol plus no sleep is affecting me lol.

Anyway, has anyone else had similar experiences? How about real insomnia? I'm sure its truly terrible, real insomnia, reminds me of Fight Club. hmmm... amazing movie btw XD ok i'll stop now lol

2. amberger

i was diagnosed with insomnia since i was about 3 months. I was lactose intollerent and milk upset my stomach to the point where i couldn't sleep. It came back when i was about 11. I went to the doctor and was prescribed a low dosage or sleeping pills. They then weened me off of them. I slept fine. some nights, i still have problems. It does have alot to do with your lifesyle though. try to eat the right foods. If your body is still hyped up from a party, you won't be able to sleep. I feel that way after i go to concerts. if something is on your mind, write it down, don't keep thinking about it. Listening to music might help some people, but generally thrash music doesn't help. Try putting on classical or soft music without words, if you want music. also, looking at the color blue and smelling lavendar helps. But i would see a doctor about this, sleeping pills might be the answer.

3. Shevanel

lol Tool isn't thrash :lol: but yeah, i'll see if this happens again, this bad. then ill maybe see a doctor. thanks for the advice! :slight_smile:

4. gaius

gaius Guest

Insomnia is cause by anxiety, which is probable why i had that problem before coming out to my friends, if theres something thats worrying you then it would be a good idea to resolve this and see if that helps, also lose the tool listening, theyre good but not for sleep!

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I can't sleep, I just don't try. I get up and do things until I feel so tired I know I can't stay up anymore...

Lex

6. Mickey

Reading may help ypu relax & get sleepy. When I could still work,I worked 11pm-7am.
    It took me a long time to get out of that habit. I still have trouble sometimes.
    I agree,you may need a light sleeping pill. I have used tylenol pm(over the counter) and it works well. At any rate,good luck and try to avoid alcohol and caffiene before bed.

7. Shevanel

I got to fall asleep for a few hours! yay :slight_smile:

8. lostinthought9

maybe you're just one of those types of people that don't need alot of sleep....like me, I don't need alot of sleep, in fact the only time that im super tired is when i wake up early feeling groggy, but after i get past that, I'm good....but i wouldn't resolve to prescription pills just yet, see if you can break some habits and try Tylenol PM..good luck though!

9. thespanishheart

You don't have Insomnia, you're just a college student.

If I wasn't so quiet and reserved I'd be doing the same damned thing.

Bottom line, you'll outgrow it.

10. Shevanel

oh i knew i ddin't have insomnia. i was just wondering if anyone actually did, cuz i hear its quite screwed up lol. I fixed it tho, that one day solved everything :slight_smile:

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately, I suffer from (or enjoy) voluntary sleep deprivation. Especially over the winter holidays - I basically flipped my sleeping schedule and became nocturnal. Not sleeping for 33 straight hours really fucks you up good, but with it comes a heightened sense of awareness. After the sleepiness passed, everything suddenly seemed really sharp and clear - I could hear just about anything, my vision almost seemed better, it was a very surreal experience.

But insomnia, as in can't-get-to-sleep or can't-stay-asleep, I have no trouble with. I stay up so late and wake up so early that by the time I finally go to bed I'm about to pass out. Not healthy, and I'm trying to improve, but it sure wards off insomnia.

12. musican

I have insomnia and it really makes it hard to get up in the morning for school; I already don't want to go and on top of that, I'm exhausted.