1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Does Everybody Forget About Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WhereWeWere, Nov 13, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Just a question I have thought to myself. On November 1st, one day after Halloween, I always see the Christmas maniacs go wild because "Christmas is so close"! And stores as well. They start selling Christmas decorations in the middle of October!

Christmas, as of today, the 13th of November, is still roughly 1 1/2 months away, while Thanksgiving is in a mere few weeks! Everybody needs to calm down. Put your jingle bells back and pause the Christmas carols. Christmas is yet to come.

What's so bad about Thanksgiving, anyways? It's like an at-home all-you-can-eat buffet! So go put on your turkey hats, and laugh your dad for screaming at the TV because he's watching football.

'Cause November is for Thanksgiving!

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mean in real life, or on the internet? :icon_bigg

If it's on the internet, it's most likely because Thanksgiving is celebrated in only a few countries. =)

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This.

I actually look forward to Thanksgiving more than Christmas :slight_smile:

4. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Thanksgiving is an Amurican thing
    2. Not long after the original Thanksgiving, the British turned against the Native Americans and soon started to think of them as savage enemies that needed to be "saved" or killed. Considering we're just honoring our betrayal of the Native Americans, should we really celebrate Thanksgiving? I'm not so sure. But hey, it's an excuse to take a break from school and eat turkey! :grin:

5. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Thanksgiving is an Amurican thing
    2. Not long after the original Thanksgiving, the British turned against the Native Americans and soon started to think of them as savage enemies that needed to be "saved" or killed. Considering we're just honoring our betrayal of the Native Americans, should we really celebrate Thanksgiving? I'm not so sure. But hey, it's an excuse to take a break from school and eat turkey! :grin:

6. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know... I think thanksgiving is the best holiday we have. It's really the only one that's all-inclusive... no religious affiliation (even though it started with the Puritans). It's a secular holiday that's also about family, which is pretty neat.

Likewise it's just a uniquely American tradition. Probably one of my favorite parts of our culture here in USA.

AND it's celebrated by everybody, no matter what background you come from. Even if you're not with your family... you can still appreciate thanksgiving with friends, or anybody for that matter. I can't make it home this year so I'm spending it with friends, and that's kinda meaningful in its own way. Makes you thankful for the relationships you have with those around you, whether you're related to em or not.

Anyways I talked too long on that one. Happy thanksgiving yall

7. Distant Echo

It's not worth as much money as Xmas. Harder to market. It's all about the money.

8. Plattyrex

Probably because it's not as heavily marketed because big corporations can't make as much money on it. Plus, you know, the whole majority of the world not celebrating it thing.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Probably because most of the world doesn't celebrate it. Alternatively, because of it's historical context which some probably find to be offensive, finally, some people are generally miserable and unpleasant human beings who don't need an excuse to complain about anything, especially Holidays or more specifically, Thanksgiving. I think it's fine

10. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with RedBeauty. I don't celebrate it for those reasons. Thanks to the internet becoming so widespread, and growing movement against Thanksgiving and Columbus Day, people are seeing it in it's true context.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree for the most part with this. However, if we celebrated all our holidays the way the originated - then, they'd all be freakishly strange and questionable. Halloween? Easter Bunnies? Pagan Christmas traditions from Norse mythology? You get the drift.

I prefer taking holidays for what they are and signify now rather than what they may or may not have stood for in the past.

And to address the OP's question. The main reason, I'd say, is due to the fact that Thanksgiving is a chiefly American holiday.

Although, many Americans it seems, have been "shunning" certain holidays and not celebrating them because they feel threatened by the initial Christian influences involved - I've seen this with Easter, Thanksgiving, and partly Christmas.

#11 Kodo, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  12. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I really think it's a matter of how you perceive it. I mean, many popular holidays in the American culture are centered around religion, especially Christianity. (Christmas being a huge one). For example, I'm an atheist, but I still celebrate Christmas. Christmas, to me, isn't about Jesus being born, even though that's really the whole reason people are supposed to celebrate it. To me, through my eyes, it's about family, friends, giving and caring, and feeling a sense of love and security.

The same goes for Thanksgiving. Even though it's literally about the British feasting with the Native Americans, to me, it's about gathering your loved ones and being thankful for all of the wonderful food being displayed on the table.

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanksgiving? What's that?

14. AlamoCity

I love Thanksgiving. My rule of thumb for stores/homes is that fall decorations should start around the beginning of the school year, with "Halloween" decorations popping up on October 1st. On November 1st, the theme goes back to "harvest." Then, on the weekend after Thanksgiving, the Christmas stuff goes up. And DON'T play Christmas music till December 1st in order to peacefully transition from one holiday to another. Anyway, that's my philosophy. The tree should go up till after Thanksgiving.

I will say I have bought some Christmas ornaments already, but I am very particular and found some really pretty Waterford and Wedgwood ones at a steal, so I had to buy them :lol:.

15. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With Haloween, Xmas, and my birthday all clumped up in that time of the year it's really easy to forget.

I don't personally celebrate it either.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I just can't understand those people who say "I won't celebrate the Holiday because of X historical event I think is wrong." Why not think of your own personal reasons to celebrate in that case? I guess some people just like going out of their way to make a big dramatic statement but the holiday is there regardless of your feelings on it so really, why not enjoy it?

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely true - I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that. People these days try way too hard to differ against norms and traditions, however innocuous they may be. It's annoying when other people go out of their way to spoil everyone's fun - just keep it to yourself yeah?

Thanksgiving doesn't exist here, but it seems like it brings families together - and that entire period (Nov-Dec) seems very family-orientated due to the clustering of different holidays. I don't view that as a bad thing.

#17 imnotreallysure, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, considering I don't celebrate it I can't really comment much. I've known people who have lived in America at some point in their lives and they seemed to like it. Someone I knew was pretty sad though because they were stuck in England with us and they missed thanksgiving, they still had turkey sandwiches for traditions' sake though.

I have to wonder what thanksgiving is like. I always see this joke pop up around then, usually as an e-card or something saying "US:happy thanksgiving! Everywhere else: Yay! Happy normal day!" :lol: Made me laugh the first time I saw it.

I guess a similar question could be asked about Bonfire night (5th November) which we celebrate in the UK. There's certainly less build-up and anticipation for Bonfire night than say Christmas because a) Christmas is dragged out longer. and b)More places celebrate it than Bonfire night.

#18 Canterpiece, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  19. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanksgiving for me is more relaxed visiting with family and enjoying being together. They fill the stores with Christmas the day after Halloween, start decorating town, and sneaking songs into radio. Anymore by the time Christmas comes I'm burned out on it and ready for it to be over. Hahaha.

20. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Yeah, no kidding! My local grocery store started selling Halloween stuff in August!

I also live in the Chicago Area as well. The stores go crazy!