1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awesome disability campaign - please watch!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, Nov 14, 2015.

1. 741852963

In light of the awful news we've had in the world today I'd just like to highlight a bit of positivity.

In 2012, arguably for the first time and triggered by one brilliant Channel 4 advertising campaign in the UK, the Paralympics was taken seriously and really given the attention it deserved. Normally relegated to a "second class" event that just happens after the Olympics almost as a "concession", for the first time it could truly be said to have gained an equal platform (at least outside of the US where coverage was minimal), with the athletes gaining the credit they deserve.

The advert for the 2016 Paralympics has just been launched, and it is equally provocative and poignont. You can see the advert below, as well as a making of video where the actors discuss their take on disability:

[YOUTUBE]xc8uc-nia9E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DYIIgPnbyMk[/YOUTUBE]

You can see the original Channel 4 2012 Paralympics campaign here (which always brings a tear to my eyes), which actually took the song to the top of the charts:

[YOUTUBE]tuAPPeRg3Nw[/YOUTUBE]

#1 741852963, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

That is so cool!

3. 741852963

It is and I'm looking forward to seeing the Paralympics next year.

As someone who can barely swim and is slightly terrified of water the likes of Michael Phelps of course amaze me. But to get into a pool when you have no arms or alternately no legs is beyond my comprehension. That takes sheer guts.