1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does this matter?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Okay, I need to ask. Why does height matter to people?

Seriously, like is there something historical here or just plain offensive? And if it was historical, is it relevant now? Worst off nobody ever does anything about it.

And you might not find calling someone ''small'' offensive, but here's why;

- It's oppressive [when you put your hand on their head and push down]
    - Or when you say ''that's a loud voice for such a small boy/girl/person''
    - It's not needed
    - It doesn't define a person
    - You can't choose your height

2. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    because in society the opinion on EVERYTHING is 'the bigger the better'
    its all a load of shit tbh

#2 Capricorn98, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's different to the norm of that particular society, people are going to make it matter.

4. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think my height is on the lower end of average (5'7"). I kind of hate it. I've always been one of the shortest guys in the room, and it just makes me feel small.... cute... little.. lol. Been called cute all my life. It gets kind of annoying ><;

It also hurts when people say that they would never date someone shorter than them. I've heard that being said plenty of times, from both straight and gay people. Like... I can understand if there's some incompatibility if you're 6'2" and you're dating something who's 4'10" or something, but are we really going to let a couple of inches determine if someone's worth dating?

It just seems a little ridiculous to me.

#4 Steve FS, Nov 15, 2015
  5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's an evolutionary thing that women have implanted into their brains that taller guys are the best providers. It's like any other preference people have; most people would probably be turned off by someone who's overweight (I'm not saying it's just, just noting the common preference) and even though you can't control your height, the preference unfortunately still exists. As for men, Capitalism makes people be in a constant competitive mode, and they'll gladly flaunt their height and put down short men just because they hate themselves and take it out on others.

Nowadays if someone disses you for being short, they're not the right friend for you. You want someone who's not shallow.

The final thing I would add is that you may want to change your appearance, make it more interesting. Interest creates interest after all. Try to look unapproachable and a little contemptuous. For some reason, people think that's cool. You'll attract so many girls just like that.

#5 AtheistWorld, Nov 15, 2015
  6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    AthiestWorld -

In the olden days, and some countries today, it was considered better to be overweight as it was a sign of wealth.

Also, when you say 'men' most of the people that put me down were women, and a gay man ... so he probably wouldn't be interested.

#6 Secrets5, Nov 15, 2015
  7. Distant Echo

So the fact that I am attracted to shorter women is explained by? Then again, spotted a lovely woman the other week who is considerably taller than me lol.
    Meh. Who cares what height someone is. It's not like it really matters. It doesn't determine their personality.

8. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    This may sound tacky, but whatever. In Yugioh whenever Pharaoh takes over, Yugi doesn't seem like such a weak pushover. On the contrary, he's such a badass and I even had the illusion that he grew taller like most Yugioh fans, but he doesn't; he just has more presence because of the attitude I mentioned in the other post.

To counter act all the derision, develop an interesting look that bespeaks of an aura that lets people know you won't accept their crap.

9. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always like bigger things. :wink:
    But seriously, I do prefer a boyfriend who's the same height as me, or taller. Because of censored reasons. :wink:

10. Formality

'AAW MAA GAAWD I'm so offended that someone jokes about my height'.... Jeez, cry me a river. How far are people seriously gonna take this "I'M OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING" trend?

"It's oppressive [when you put your hand on their head and push down]" :eusa_doh: Seriously?? How is that oppressive? I'll tell you what would be oppressive is if short people had less rights because they were short, but that is not the case. Not here, not anywhere. So stop feeling sorry for yourself about something so trivial when there are real problems in this world. And please stop misusing words like "oppressed". Slavery is oppressive. Women are oppressed in Saudi Arabia. etc. Someone putting their arm on your head is not oppressive. If it bothers you so much, tell them that it bothers you. Simple as that.

11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I dislike my height, but in my case, I think the main reason is dysphoria. I'm only a bit short for a girl, but if I were male, I'd surely be made fun of for my height. People say I'm overreacting, but they don't know (or at least most of them don't know) the reason.

Tall people often seem a bit scary to me. I feel almost like they might step on me and crush me. o.o And it's annoying to be short for practical reasons, like driving a car (unfortunetely the seat only moves back and forth, not up and down, so you might have to sit on something or stretch your neck/back), seeing where you're going in a crowd of people, reaching high shelves, etc.

But when it comes to other people making fun of someone for their height, there's really no decent reason for that. Society is just annoying about these things; there's no good in reminding a short person that they're short.