1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaking English

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TeddyV, Nov 15, 2015.

1. TeddyV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know this is a bit off topic so hopefully this won't be deleted. Sorry in advance cause my English suck
    I have to give a speech in front of 100 people this Sunday about tips to speak English better (since English is not my country's national language). I just want to hear your opinions, what do you guys think? I'm shy and awkward so I'm afraid people gonna make fun of me. If you guys have some jokes or stories related to the topic, please tell.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just from reading that, you'll probably be fine. I don't really have any jokes or stories, but I do have tips and random information!

If your accent is fairly thick, don't try to speak at a 'natural' speed, speak slower. Using 'natural' speed is something that they teacher advanced students here and it's awful. I can't understand a word they're saying despite knowing that they can and are speaking English.

The average Native English speaker uses 80 000 words. The average Fluent English as a Second/Foreign Language speaker uses 8 000.

English isn't spoken as it's written. "A bit of eggs" is spoken as "abid ta veggs".

Good luck! :thumbsup:

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, dude, public speaking is really hard! The worst part is we just have to do it, see how it goes, and learn from what didn't work. Just think about what your material is and what you want to say. Don't think of it as a performance. It's not a music recital. It's not a concert. It's you giving information to an audience.

That way, you can focus on content (which is the most important), not delivery. (Delivery is important, but not as important as content, at least not in this setting.)

(*hug*)

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based on how you've written, you've got this in the bag. Don't worry about it - you're an excellent English speaker.

Go with confidence (even if its fake, people won't notice). And make sure to prepare and rehears well.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to remember that the audience is more interested in the subject, than they are in you. You are not a politician and they are not there to scrutinise you personally.

As the speaker, the audience will look to you, rather than at you. Try to remember this. When we think all eyes are on us, it seems more daunting. It would be worse if you were speaking and everyone in the room looked up at the roof or out of the window.

Dress for the occasion, stand tall and speak at a nice steady pace. If you can use a bit of humour, it works well and keeps people interested.

6. CyanChachki

Gonna be honest, I wouldn't have guessed that English was your second language if you hadn't said so. Plus, don't worry too much about it. It's great to have good grammar and all, but a lot of us English speakers who've learned English as our first language, don't know how to use proper grammar (including myself).

#6 CyanChachki, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  7. SonicBoom

Hi Teddy.

You and I are the same nationality and I know about the situation in Vietnam and Vietnamese people in Vietnam speaking English. At least 95% of the Vietnamese locals butcher English in the worst way.

There are only two ways you can learn to speak the kind of English that is spoken in the streets of America or other English speaking countries.

1) Talk to a foreigner at length. I know this may be tough considering your situation.

2) Watch A LOT of American programming on YouTube.

8. SonicBoom

Hi Teddy.

You and I are the same nationality and I know about the situation in Vietnam and Vietnamese people in Vietnam speaking English. At least 95% of the Vietnamese locals butcher English in the worst way.

There are only two ways you can learn to speak the kind of English that is spoken in the streets of America or other English speaking countries.

1) Talk to a foreigner at length. I know this may be tough considering your situation.

2) Watch A LOT of American programming on YouTube.

9. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Your English is nearly perfect, and I could only see few errors. Your grammar is pretty much on point.

Public speaking is very scary, and I can imagine it being worse speaking in a language that you're not perfect at. English can be a very tough language to grasp if it's not your first.

The only advice that I can give you is to not make a big deal if you mess up. Just keep going, and you'll do fine!