1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion for Teachers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gerry, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since a lot of members on here are currently attending school in some way, what is some fashion you notice on your male teachers? I'm currently a substitute teacher and I'm looking for some advice to enhance my wardrobe without the whole suit and tie. Lol. Any input is appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. Lychee

We don't have many male teachers, due to the whole all-girls school thing, but what I have noticed from the few teachers that I have, is that, under no circumstances should you wear knee-high socks with khaki shorts, especially when you are middle aged :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But I'm sure that you wouldn't voluntarily do that anyway xD

I go to a private school with a pretty strict uniform policy, including for the teachers, so the majority of male teachers do the whole suit and tie shenanigan.

Sorry for not being much help. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. RaRa

Seeing as your 21, i'd actually go with Jeans with a T-shirt and a hoodie if its cold. But if you're trying to go professional i have no idea. xD

4. hairdye

nice polos work well, i think.
    polos of different fabric than the normal. with nice cuts and strategic stiching. try to stay away from department store polos. thats just a no no. i also like t-shirts, with thermals underneath.

if it's cold. a nice jacket always works great.

if you want to stay a little professional, a dress shirt, with a nice vneck sweater always looks classy. and suit vests are definitely trendy right now. most importantly though;

SHOES.

shoes reflect EVERYTHING about you.
    dirty old shoes? you're untidy and don't take care of yourself.
    sleek, clean shiny shoes? your professional, you're well groomed and you put yourself into things.

shoes can make statements.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would be cool if I could but they told us absolutely no jeans allowed and I want to look somewhat professional so the students know I'm their teacher and not another student -- especially in high school! Lol.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my school most of the male teachers went with decent pants and button-down shirts. Except the young gay guy, who was a bit more flamboyant, although he toned that down a bit when his tight pants split in class.

7. davo-man

My school had a strict suit and tie policy for the male teachers, which I actually liked about it. It made them look professional and increased the respect for them. I would go for nice black pants, long sleeve shirt (possibly pastel colours), no tie and open top button or two, with your sleeves rolled up to about your elbow. And nice black shoes, and a nice belt (but not too flashy). Not a white top, but not a garishly bright top. No sunnies, a nice watch if you have it.

That's just my opinion though, and I would certainly think you looked nice and professional

8. Jace

Button down and a v-neck sweater ftw

And for shoes - the should be nice, and they must match, but they don't have to be super clean and new, I hate hate hate new shoes

Worn-in shoes can help tone down an outfit

Keep it a bit more casual, which, seeing as you're 21, is a good thing.

Go for shoes you'd find at the Buckle.

9. missmelancholy

Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice pants, polo shirt and your favorite shoes.

10. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    Speedos!!!
    well i just coudnt help myself .. id go with a nice pair of jeans and a shirt with short sleeves

11. Gumtree

Dress pants are always safe; they can be both totally casual as well as being formal and professional depending on what top you wear.

I would ditch the suit and tie look but follow a formal theme!

Long sleeve shirts are great and very adaptable, tuck it in keep the sleeves down and you can pass as anything.

Keep it loose and roll the sleeves up and you look a lot more casual but will still have a professional presence.

Polo shirts are good except stick to light colours.

Short sleeve shirts can work but stick to dark colours.

Golf shorts are a good way of making an outfit look more casual when you don't want to wear long pants - goes best with polo shirts or loose T-shirts.

Ankle socks are a must if you're wearing shorts!

If you're wearing nice pants, wear nice shoes!

But MOST importantly, the most obvious trend:

Your MUST, ALWAYS have a coffee cup in your hand :grin:

12. TheRoof

it really depends on school policy i think...
    if the dresscode is pretty liberal-u could prolly wear jeans or somethin
    but if its strict-most of the time, its tie shirt dresspants sweater kind of thing

13. EM68

I would wear casual pants like Dockers or something like that. I would not wear cargo pants or jeans. For shirts it should have a collar maybe button down. If its cold I would wear a V neck sweater and in the warmer weather wear a polo shirt. Also wear comfortable shoes not sneakers. Look into getting insoles for the shoes since you are probably on your feet all day.

14. Jeimuzu

Thing is, you can take the whole teacherly outfit and just tone it down a tiny bit. Like, a short-sleeved shirt instead of a long one. A simple black vnecked cardigan - back in - instead of a sweater or suit jacket. Instead of leather shoes, tan suede works. =]

Woo! 1500th post!

I'm going into teaching too =]

15. jotheoneandonly

find the best pair of socks

16. Dazed

Dazed Guest

can i tell you something not to wear...seasonal sweaters. you know with snowmen and pumpkins and just odd things on them. mostly older women where them haha

17. TheRoof

lol :roflmao:
    that's so true-my insane history teacher(female) wore that-it was hideous:roflmao:

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I will say just be yourself while obeying dress code. :slight_smile:

19. Trumpetplyer23

^That's exactly how all of my male teachers (minus my band director, he's like 80 give him a break..) dress. Except they wear tennis shoes, haha. One even got married in a pair of white hi-top Nikes.

20. kaster

I'd definately go for the black/dark smart trousers, shirt and vneck jumper combo. Careful about the shirt on its own thing cause loads of my old teachers (the younger ones) used to get quite obvious sweat patches under the arms. If you're in teh same classroom all day it's easy to do. So jumper would be a safe call and maybe open a few windows.
    Cardigans are good too!! I love it when teachers wear cardigans it makes you want to be nice to them :grin: