1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otherkin???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NekoAlex, Nov 16, 2015.

1. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so I've been having a Tumblr account for a while and I noticed that many people there identify as otherkin. From what I learned it's when somebody identifies as something other than human and think they are animals, angels, demons, fairies, dragons, vampires and even fictional characters, but in a human body, which I think it's bullshit. Then I looked up a few articles about it outside of Tumblr and I got the impression that you just need to feel some kind of spiritual connection to the creature you are kin with, not to believe you are an animal or a mythical creature, and I don't see anything wrong with this. I think Tumblr is just taking it too far like everything else. What do you think? What exactly is an Otherkin?

#1 NekoAlex, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If someone has these beliefs, fine. However, it sounds like these are people who had a roleplay once too often, and as much as id like to be an elf (what?), i know that it is just me fantasizing. Its all "WTF" for me.

#2 Sebulba, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Otherkin?

[​IMG]

What I'm waiting for is the day that people realize that Tumblr = sh*t.

#3 Kodo, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Plattyrex

I really don't want to come off as insensitive or disrespectful, but I don't get this at all. I'm yet to see anyone explain why they feel this way, and anyone I ask just goes the usual Tumblr route and attacks me for being a male or cis gender or one of the other groups that Tumblr has deemed genetically inferior to themselves.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're Native and you're referring to totems, fine. I have no problem with that at all (unless you're appropriating their culture, then that's not cool). But if you're going to come to me saying you're a gopher, a doll, or a void (some otherkin people seriously believe they're everything and everywhere all at once) --and then have the nerve to tell me I'm being a bigot for not taking you seriously, then I want nothing to do with you.

Cis people do this a lot to demean the trans community, treating our situation like it's a joke and that we're playing pretend or dress up. It pains me to see people I used to be close to in high school make jokes like "I sexually identify as an Apache helocopter" and other kinds of things, especially since I am out on Facebook and I think everyone knows. Plus, I know a very cool transguy who I've been friends with for two or so years now, and he is apparently otherkin, where he has "kin" tag on his blog where he says he doesn't identify as an anime character--he says he IS said anime character, and to unfollow him if you don't believe he really is that character. That just breaks my heart, because he is such a great person and we've both called out this one guy for being a transphobic asshole who pulled the same crap I mentioned in the above (ex: If you don't refer to me as Mr. Panda or respect that I'm a panda on the inside, then you're being an intolerant bigot).

Maybe I'm being an ass, but it's people such as these who make it harder for us to get recognized and treated as human beings.

#5 Daydreamer1, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before political correctness, or maybe still now, we would call this a mental disorder. Psychosis? However, in most cases it's just young people who are desperate to be unique but instead are (ironically) just conforming to this odd trend.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a vast difference between enjoying role-play, even if a lot of people find it odd, and claiming the biologically impossible to be your identity and equating it to gender.

Just as claiming an object has personality or that there can be a romantic love of objects is aberrant, so is a human claiming themselves to be an object or an animal.

Unless identifying as an animal occurs in the context of a literary or spiritually significant metaphor, I think it's utterly ridiculous.

#7 Aussie792, Nov 16, 2015
  8. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im not saying roleplay is odd, i think its kinda cool (never done it though.), nor am i saying its bad. i made this connection because the types of characters often referenced in both instances are extremely similar. However, once again i seem to have said something completely stupid and idiotic.

#8 Sebulba, Nov 16, 2015
  9. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Some kind of spiritual connection with an animal....yeah right let just forget that inside those animals there are tons of disgusting worms all squirming inside.

10. Jellal

Believe whatever you want to believe. As long as you aren't hurting anybody, or hurting yourself ... I think having an active imagination is a sign of a healthy mind.

11. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *pulls up a chair* Ahhh, this subject has returned once more...

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most common meaning I hear is that an otherkin is a person that believes they have a non-human soul. I personally think the most logical explanations for (sometimes 'misplaced') souls are just quantum woo.

In my experience, most otherkin are decent yet troubled people. Some popular otherkin treat it like an easy level cult leader training game.

Tumblr can be fun, but you're better off avoiding "crazy" parts of it, unless you share my morbid curiosity. Maybe you haven't seen the half of it yet... just wait until you discover "stargender"!

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Otherkin is awesome, it's super great, just great, is what that is.

14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no problem with people defining themselves to be otherkin. If they're happy with it, why not? =)

15. Aldrick

I don't do Tumblr, so I've never encountered these people directly. However, I am familiar with them.

I don't really care if someone thinks or wants to be a tree, a goat, a pixie, a leprechaun, or what the fuck ever. What I care about is when these people appropriate trans* and queer experiences to lend themselves legitimacy. That is what pisses me off. If they want to go play magic-magic-spiritual-ooga-booga-fun-time then they should go off somewhere and do that without appropriating trans* and queer experiences.

16. candyjiru

I had a friend who would probably identify as otherkin now that that's the word for it...

She told me that she had a wolf inside of her and that her body housed it inside... she even cut a hole in her pants so she could wear her wolf tail in public (along with claws and a collar)... I just figured she was a closeted furry, but I guess otherkin would be the word for it...

Also, she is quite troubled, which is the reason we aren't really friends anymore (though she follows me on facebook)... She told me some things that just really made me question her sanity, and her being part wolf was just the tip of the iceberg... It's not for me to judge, but I do think she hurt herself by alienating everyone with her wolf talk... I think some people like to say they are otherkin because it sounds cool, but I think she, and many other people, might just has some serious problems need the help of a professional... ;.;

#16 candyjiru, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It always makes me think of that gang of weirdos who called themselves the 'wolf pack' or something like that. They were this bunch of teenagers who went around biting and urinating on people and they boiled the skulls of all these different animals and kept them and I think they might have killed someone. Anyways, I'm sure most otherkin are perfectly nice, intelligent creative individuals.

18. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Otherkin/therian is the most harmless thing and I don't get why anyone's against it.

That being said, people who use nounself pronouns for their kin type and are kin with religious figures or real people need to stop.

19. MissMook

I'm fine with it so long as the people who believe it are rationally minded, which I'm sure are the majority.

Like the very few crazy transgender people across Tumblr who get ALL of the attention and negatively represent the community, I'm sure there are otherkin who do the same. I've never met any in real life, but I'm sure they must be nice.

Fictionkin and "object"kin however...

20. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't personally know any one who says they're a otherkin but I wouldn't make to much of a big deal about unless it came with a truckload of social quirks that made socialization significantly unpleasant.

I'm sure plenty of them are fine people. I think a few are upset with the people in their community that make otherkins look like childish, insecure asshats.

#20 Bismuth, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015