1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those with an English major, or pursuing one

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alder, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just wondering, has anyone here studied English (literature/writing/any of which) in university or further education specifically (rather than just a general mandatory course), or is currently doing so? What are your experiences with it and if relevant, what careers are you pursuing or doing now?

I was talking with a friend earlier about it. I'm also quite curious because quite a few actors and musicians and people of varying fields I know of, and my friend knows of, has an English major, or has studied English primarily in university.

Hope this is an acceptable thread for this subforum. Thanks in advance.

#1 Alder, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. candyjiru

Hey~~ you know I have one, right? ^.^ I'm an English teacher and I have a major in English writing~ I've also dabbled in other English related careers, but I'm not very gifted musically, so nothing like that~ message me any time about it ^.^

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have an MA in English literature. The experience was absolutely amazing, I learned so much about life and people in general. Narrative is such a huge part of the human experience and learning to interpret it and recognize patterns has given me a fairly deep understanding of how the world works.

Career wise, I'm not the best person to ask because of how debilitating my gender dysphoria is but the people who studied with me went on to work in marketing, publishing, continued to a PHD and some even became computer programmers. It heavily depends on the individual and what interests them. English Literature is such a flexiblle field of study as any theoretical piece of writing in any subject can be used in context of literature. For example, I used theoretical research papers in neuroanatomy about cognition as part of my works.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. (*hug*)

4. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I'm not in Uni/college yet and I'm considering a major in English.

5. RainDreamer

I used to do that for like 2 years before switching to professional communication, focusing on doing PR and advertising. Still the same skills - constructing stories, convey messages, crafting words that touches the hearts, etc. Just that it is used for commercial purposes. Depending on how you see it, it could either be a good or a bad thing.

6. Zelos

I am pursuing an english major to become a Lecturer in English Literature :slight_smile:

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I just wanted to know a few different perspectives and experiences on this. I'll message if I need any more details, but for now I'm super grateful. Good luck with all your studies and careers (*hug*)

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've got a BA in English Literature. I work as a teacher, which is what most of the people I'm still in touch with from my program do. Most of us write as well.

I loved my program and I learned a lot from it! I think it was an invaluable experience, 10/10 would recommend. I do wish that I'd minored in English though, and majored in Sociology instead. But I'm going back to school for that (MA Counselling).

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the info! It's appreciated (*hug*) Best of luck going back to school!

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not attended uni just yet, but will most likely be pursuing some sort of English degree. I'm heavily interested in the creative/writing aspects as well as reading/critical analyses.