1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interracial Marriage History

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyDiver, Nov 19, 2015.

1. SkyDiver

Hi guys, I'm pretty interested in comparing the timeline of the history of same-sex marriage to that of interracial marriage.

Before the Supreme Court invalidated same-sex marriage bans everywhere, it was already legal in 37 states... 26 by court decision, 8 by state legislature and 3 by popular vote.

In regards to interracial marriage, they were banned throughout history in 41 different states. Only 16 continued to ban them by 1967 when the Supreme Court stepped in. My question is.. how did the other 25 end up legalizing it? I can't find any information on whether it was through court, legislative or voter action. Anyone know anything?

2. iiimee

I want to know this too! I'd also like to find history on day-to-day life for interracial couples, once somebody learned they were dating somebody of a different skin tone...

3. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I'm looking into it now (anything to avoid my botany paper). Hopefully, I'll find something. But from the articles that I've read so far, people in mixed race couples still get shit in Virginia (and obviously other places as well), and I just don't understand it. Why does it matter what color a person is, or what gender they are? Two people in love is not hurting you in any way. Unless they are a serial killing couple who beats up small children and drowns puppies on their days off, I don't see what it has to do with anyone but that couple. Ok rant over, sorry.

4. SkyDiver

Yes, me as well! From what I've read so far it's shocking how similar the two movements have been. It took 33 years since Loving vs. Virginia for the last state (Alabama) to FINALLY remove the actual ban from its constitution... same-sex marriage bans are still in many state constitutions, will all of them be completely erased by 2048?

I think if we want to know the future of same-sex marriage we only need to look at this.

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2015 at 10:29 AM ----------

Completely agree with your rant... disgusting how it's still treated! But thank you for looking it up, let me know if you find anything!

5. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Ok I've found some things. It appears that most, if not all, states removed their bans because they were unconstitutional.

Interracial Marriage Laws History Timeline

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/388/1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/06/what-overturning-interracial-marriage-bans-might-tell-us-about-what-happens-next-with-gay-marriage/

Legal Map | Loving Day

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Before Loving v. Virginia in 1967, the state legislatures had voluntarily legalized interracial marriage pretty much everywhere outside the South between 1887 and 1967 as you can see in the chart.

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2015 at 11:54 AM ----------

The interracial marriage comparison to same-sex marriage shows how progressive in social change America has become and is becoming. Pennsylvania was the first state to legalize interracial marriage in 1780, seven years before our current Constitution was even enacted.

It took 187 years from the time it was first legalized in one state, to full recognition across the country. After Ohio legalized interracial marriage in 1887, it was another 61 years before it became legal anywhere else, when the California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban in 1948.

Between 1912 and 1928, Congress tried to pass a law that would ban federal recognition of interracial marriages, much akin to the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

#6 AwesomGaytheist, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  7. SkyDiver

Great information guys!! Thank you!! So basically what I'm getting from this is that the legalization resulted from a mix of state legislation and court action, but we're not exactly sure which states did which (aside from California). Interesting that none had referendums.

Also I found this really cool article from June. Compares the timelines of six controversial social issues throughout American history.

This Is How Fast America Changes Its Mind | Bloomberg Business - Business, Financial & Economic News, Stock Quotes

#7 SkyDiver, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015