1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More openly LGBT people in college than anywhere else

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Nov 19, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I seriously love the fact that there's so many LGBT people in college who aren't afraid of being who they truly are. I honestly believe the 1 in 10 people are gay estimate is true if we're strictly referring to a college setting (possibly even as high as 15%). I see openly gay people everywhere I go on campus...in my classes, at the library, at the cafeteria, at the gym, etc. I even see same-sex couples holding hands or eating lunch together. It makes me not feel so alone and I love it! :icon_bigg

I just had to share that. Of course, it depends on what college you go to, but I'm willing to bet that, on average, students in college are more likely to label themselves LGBT than any other age group.

2. Mila

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi SubZero,

I agree with you. I think it's because people are sort of coming of age. It's the best time to explore new things, become independent and free. What I also noticed, is that it kind of goes backwards when you go to work. I mean there are some really cool and accepting workplaces around, but majority of them are quite dull and not as nice as colleges/universities.

College days rule! No doubt about that!

3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Did you also know there's also more closeted people in high school than anywhere else?

Seriously. My friend tried being openly gay in the high school I currently go to... oh boy.

But this is nice. I feel like college age is the perfect age. Old enough to the point where they aren't immature little shits, yet young enough so they don't have the saying of "gays r sin111!" pounded into their heads.

4. hapa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Never see that in my area, although I'm not in Uni so.......

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well colleges are generally pretty liberal and ideally accepting of diversity, so it's no surprise to me.... Add the open atmosphere to the fact that people are of an age where they are potentially looking for relationships and yup!