1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain, rain and more rain...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TriBi, Jun 8, 2007.

1. TriBi

Well, it really does look like the drought is beginning to break in my part of the world.

Mind you - as always, when it decides to rain here - it does so with a vengeance. The East coast has copped a hammering in the last couple of days - particularly north of Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle and the Hunter Valley.

-Torrential rain (100mm in a day in some areas)
    - 100kph winds & 18m swells beached a 225m long bulk carrier in Newcastle
    - Flash floods washed away 2 cars - 2 confirmed dead and a family of 5 missing.

The one good thing is that, unlike other rainstorms in earlier weeks/months, these are actually falling over the Dam catchment areas, so should help relieve the drastic water shortage problems. I believe they've even been getting some in the right areas in southern Queensland....so at least there is some good news among the bad.

Now we just have to hope that the wild weather calms a bit and the rain remains "steady" to refill dams and help the farmers - and some of them hadn't seen ANY rain in SIX years.

More info:
    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/06/08/1181089283626.html
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...-disaster-looms/2007/06/08/1181089329464.html
    NB: These reports are now a little out of date, but I linked them because they have the best pics of the beached ship. The other two ships which were at risk of beaching have been towed out to sea. Also the bodies of the elderly couple whose 4WD was swept away have now been found.

ATM, video news links available here:
    http://www.abc.net.au/vod/news/
    Look for those headed "Pollution concerns over stricken ship" & "Flooding and high winds hit NSW central coast".

2. chrisg

The rain is one of my favorite weather conditions. :slight_smile:

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

I hate da rain, makes me down for sum reason.. da bitch

4. Jersey4Life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It POURED here in Atlanta for a solid hour today. Atlanta has an eleven inch deficet of rain apparently and we really needed it. Good news is it's supposed to rain more tonight!

5. SpikySpice

I love rain, it makes me feel comfortable. When it's raining, turn on da music, or lying in bed, naked

I just hate rain wen I'm on out on the street

The rain season is begining, that means Florida is bout to experience hurrican

6. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

The drought in north texas is over, and we're ready for it to come back. We've had so much rain that the nearby lake went from 17 feet below average to 10 over. Yeah.

7. Jersey4Life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Dad and his soon to be wife are getting ready for the hurricane season too. They called today and told me they've already bought some canned food and a storm radio.

8. SpikySpice

Oh, over here we, or other Jacksonville citizents still not ready, tho

We still go to the beach^^

Next month which is near hurricane time, I wanna go down to Miami, and key west
    And wen hurricane comes, i wanna ask my sis to drive me out to the beach to see the wave^^, but no hope

9. Jersey4Life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My dad lived south of Tampa when Charlie hit three years ago and I was there that week. It was sooooo bad. I couldn't believe the damage and the flooding. I'm still mad at him for that because we didn't evacuate and had to spend the whole damn night in the bathtub with a matress over our heads. We did go to the Gulf of Mexico the day before though, and I'll never forget it. The Gulf is usually so calm, but the storm was wipping up huge waves and the water was almost to the parking lot.

10. SpikySpice

Awww, sorry for what happend to your family(*hug*)

That would freak me out

So then you moved to New Jersey?So what happened to your house, theh roof flew off, things scattered, tree ell over...

We are so lucky that the storm dont hit Jax much, I odnt know why, maybe cuz the North Wind that cuz the storm to change its path out back to the Ocean

11. Jersey4Life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, my parents have been divorced since I was seven years old. My dad and his second wife, my first stepmom, bought a summer home the previous winter (it was a really nice, new house) and we went down to it for two weeks that summer. The roof was missing about a third of it's shingles, a window in the garage blew out from the pressure I guess, and the cage over the patio and pool was ripped from it's foundation and had to be replaced. The street was also a river. A lot of the gastations' overhangs were flipped over, signs were blown out or knocked over, trailer parks on the other side of the town were destroyed, the power was out for a few days. The usual hurricane damage.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in Uruguay it's being unusually cold and very foggy. Yesterday night, when I came back home from philosophy class, I noticed that there was ice on my gloves. The visibility was so reduced that driving at more than 15 mph was unsafe. The temperature drops below 35 F (2 C) in the mornings, we didn't expect that to happen until next month.

Experts say that this will be the coldest winter in 100 years. Brrrr!!!!!

13. SpikySpice

Oh gosh, taht was not good, but I'm glad you are safe till today^^(*hug*)

Yes Fred, it will be really cold. The priveous winter in the US was weird and really cold to. Loads of vegestable died, and snow was nonstop. In Jx, it still cold till the end of April. But normally it was suposed to be warm by Macrh. It was weird

14. justjoshoh

We, well those of us in my metropolitan area, lucked out this go around. The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) had a moderate risk for severe weather today for our area. When the SPC issues a moderate of high risk, the threat of severe weather is above average.

For example, the low pressure system that was sweeping through the Great Lakes region that prompted the increased risk is the same system that swept through much of Wisconsin yesterday producing 13 tornadoes.

As the storms were passing through Indiana, I watched the radar images looking for any sign that dangerous weather was approaching. I don't currently have a position in meteorology, but it is my field of study, so I make sure people I know are taking the necessary precautions whenever I can. To make a long story short, the storms dissipated as they moved across eastern Indiana.

TriBi, the rain is always good for the ground. The problem is when there is too much or it is coming too fast. I hope everything turns out well Down Under. If you aren't on the boards for a while though, I'll know that you started building an ark.

Each of the scenarios from flooding rain, hurricanes, tornadoes, and cold winter weather is a good reason to think about emergency preparedness. State-side the government has websites that list preparedness tips like ready.gov. It's worth checking out.

15. Kimi

Oh, I thought this thread is about England......Never mind:icon_redf

16. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it has even been to dangerous for me to go surfing. mum let me and my 2 brothers stay home from school yesterday to because the weather was so bad. i hope the people will be ok in the hunter valley and newcastle because there has been very bad floodings there to

17. GuitarGirl1350

I HATE rain- we just got out of a week of it -_-

18. SpikySpice

Oh so now itis really bad in your place, we are enjoying peace right now, but we will be just like you for the next month or so.

19. Jersey4Life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a feeling that hurricane season is going to last longer than a month Spiky. They think Florida could possibly get hit with three, or maybe four, major hurricanes this year.

20. SpikySpice

Yeah last year it didnt hit Floria much, but this year will be horrible, I think it might arrive Jax too, it will be loads fo damage this time, the weather is getting crazy

Hmmm, but I'm not scared, hurricane-run-away is fun, yeah, we got stuck on I95 the last time lol