1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm losing my Black Friday virginity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thatchickcj, Nov 20, 2015.

1. thatchickcj

So, recently I discovered that I have to work Black Friday at my local Kohl's (it's a giant retail store that has everything from clothes to Flat Screen TVs). I'm a teenager, this is my first job, and I just got this position about half a month ago. Does anyone have advise for dealing with crazy Black Friday Customers or anything that may help me survive this dreadful 8 hour shift? Any advice is good advise at this point in time.

2. guitar

Just recognize your day is going to suck... at least at the start. Every job has days throughout the year that are just hell, and this is one. Keep your wits about you and do your best.

3. candyjiru

Turn off your brain and just robot/power through it~ Also, maybe keep a snack bar on you because you probably won't get many breaks and will probably be exhausted at the end of it... Also, try not to take anything personally, because there are going to be a lot of truly intolerable people, so try to not worry about their craziness and try to stay above it~

You can do it!

4. thatchickcj

Thank you so much!!

5. Ryu

Ryu

Make sure you have your trusty nail bat in fase of riots.

6. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hopefully your transport is heavy mining/military/railroad/farm equipment. It may be fast or slow, but you'll get there easier.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also work at Kohls, I'm opening at register this year, so this is going to be fun. In the past, I have restocked during Black Friday and I have ran register during the slower times. This is my 3rd Black Friday. This is the first time I will be on register at open. Really, as long as you are nice to people, they are usually nice to you. If somebody has a problem, call the E3 over, because it's not your job to handle customers that want to argue. Also, if you are running register, you will have a bagger with you usually, so that is helpful.

8. COPY

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Spike your coffee that morning. Also, the Kohls in my area usually never have people there on Black Friday, and they don't have flat screen TV's. Maybe I just live in a very uninteresting area, haha.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You work at Kohl's. You're going to be there for Black Friday.

May God be with you.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stay away from the doors when they open so you don't get trampled to death like that poor Walmart employee a couple years ago.

11. thatchickcj

THANK YOU SO MUCH (And thank you to everyone else who's given me little tid-bits of advice)! I got a closer look at my schedule and I am *thankfully* not scheduled to be on the registers. On the Friday of Doom, I'm supposed to be working MJM. Which, from of the couple of associates I've friends with have told me, it's a tad bit easier than working on the register. I've also been told that I should bring hand lotion and very comfortable shoes.

12. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's also important to steel yourself emotionally - try to remember that the problematic "guests" are temporary intruders in your life. Their presence at the moment might be difficult to handle, but in the long run, you will most likely not have to deal with them again.

Carry a positive attitude, a quick smile, and a disarming humor - those go a long way to diffusing difficult situations. Best wishes for a great day. :slight_smile:

13. thatchickcj

^^ I never thought of it that way... xD

Thanks driedroses!

14. zgirl81

I've done a few Target Black Fridays, and generally find that they staff that day much better than a normal day! lol

Like others have said, arm yourself with a smile, be kind to everyone around you, and don't dwell on the jerks!

Also: Wear clothing that breathes and comfortable shoes for sure. Carry a chapstick and stop to get drinks of water frequently (you'll be talking and walking a lot). Get plenty of sleep Thursday night, and eat a good meal before starting your shift. Ignore your colleagues who're grumpy and enjoy the hustle and bustle! Most of the people shopping that day are really nice!

I've found that the pattern in our city is that people go out really early, then slack off at about 10am-2pm while they take a nap, and then it picks up again for a bit in the evening before dying down before the store closes. The second shift is all about repairing the store for Saturday. :slight_smile:

15. Zalias

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work at McDonald's. This Friday will be my first Black Friday. (I'm a black friday virgin, too.) My manager asked me to work 9-5 as opposed to my usual shift of 2-10 because we'll need more people on first shift to handle the influx of customers. My advice is get some rest, eat a good meal before your shift, and don't let anyone get you down. My job isn't particularly exciting, and many days I clock out feeling emotionally drained, but I feel that keeping a positive mind set helps a lot! (&&&) We're all in this together.

16. thatchickcj

oh my god. Thank the world!

I have to work from 10am-6pm (with two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute)! Okay! I think I might make it out alive!

***I'll be back with feedback when I get off work tomorrow, if anyone' interested in finding out how it was.

17. thatchickcj

POST FRIDAY!!

My feet hurt a lot, I should have brought better lotion, and I'm definately going to sleep well tonight.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's good at least. Yeah, I worked a 4:30 to 3am shift running register. I had my good shoes and my feet still hurt..

We've hit the crazy part of the year now, so this is just the beginning.

19. thatchickcj

NOoooooo don't tell me thaattt! I'm a seasonal associate..they hired me jus to cover the crazzzzyyy!! I thought the hell was almost over!