1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in any conspiracy theories?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Driftr

Are there any conspiracy theories that just jump out at you and you think makes so much sense or is so unquestionable that everyone should believe them?

Also, do you think it would be stupid/naive not to believe in any conspiracy theories?

I personally haven't sat down to analyze every single conspiracy theory out there and the few ones that I looked at, I just tossed it to the side without taking them seriously (the Illuminati conspiracy to be exact) after a few years of looking them up.

2. Foz

Foz Guest

No, they are dreamed up by people living in a constant state of paranoia (just browse some of the conspiracy sites that TOR has to offer). The usual script is "but that's what they want you to believe", any legitimate question is just put down to that.

3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Uh oh...

better put on your tin foil hats, guys.

4. AlamoCity

Do I believe most conspiracy theories? No. Do I believe that there are things that the government keeps secret and would seem sensational if released? Yes. There are things the government will and should maintain secret for operational security or as a state secret, but I don't believe it would be anything in the realm of what is considered a "conspiracy theory" (e.g., aliens, Bigfoot, cure for cancer).

5. Formality

Well, I wouldn't disregard them simple because people tell me it is bullocks without me personally having any kind of insight into them on an individual level. I can't say I trust the media to tell me the full and honest truth all of the time. I don't think one shouldn't be that gullible to assume what we read in the newspaper is always correct.

I'm talking about things within the political and economical realm, not bigfoot or any supernatural wacky stuff.

6. Joelouis

Many conspiracy theories are a joke. Like the ones about UFO's.
    Just why an intelligent race of beings would travel light years across the universe just to hover around for a bit before buggering off home again is laughable.

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in the Beyonce/Jay-Z age conspiracy theory :eek:

8. Plattyrex

I don't believe any, but I think there are some that are at least rational and have valid reasoning behind them. These are the overwhelming minority though.

9. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some if not most have or had truth in them, then got exaggerated or were through a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend.
    Aliens are real.
    It is possible, but unlikely, for large populations of intelligent beings to exist in the solar system.
    The pyramids are precise, but so are migrations, and we do not assume aliens move the birds.
    My school teaches some (oceans boiled, planes cover us in infertility indusing chemicals as population control, making us commit a greater wrong, or a lesser lesser sin by not having more than four children), and answers to "What do you think?" are wrong if not their answers.
    Cryptids have some truth in them (krakens were giant squid that got exaggerated like the big one that got away modern sailors tell).
    Bigfoot is people in costums, hairy mutants, and bears.
    UFO's are just that, unidentified objects seen in flight, probably government (not demonic, school), drones, or me needing better glasses.
    I have had alien abduction dreams, but if they could come all the way here (if they are already hear, they are earthlings, not aliens; Mars has a chance of intelligent life, but not much) and not get caught, why not erase memory?
    Some things cannot be accurately explained, and what are the odds of us guessing right?
    I am more afraid of what the government keeps secrete that has not been leaked and watered down to one part truth, ninety nine parts extra.

10. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's many conspiracy theories that turned out to be true.

1) Diamonds are actually not rare. Sorry guys, but there's entire warehouses of diamonds out their but only a few are released each year so the price can stay high. Diamonds are carried out by the truck loads in South Africa. People were brainwashed (basically) into thinking diamonds are the only acceptable gift for engagements and stuff like that.

2) The United States invented a gun that can kill people with a heart attack and is untraceable. There's some people who think this weapon actually was used, like a guy who died of a mysterious heart attack shortly before he was supposed to "prove Obama's presidential win was fraud". Again, it's speculation whether or not the weapon was ever used, but its existence is confirmed.

3) During the Cuban Missile Crisis, the US actually approved classified plans to cause terror attacks against their own country to gain support for a war against Cuba. Attacks included hijacking planes and random shootings across the country. Lucky, this was never done because JFK rejected this plan. However, the US was really close to actually going through with it.

I very well think 9/11 could be a conspiracy. I don't think it is, but I don't see a compelling reason to believe it's 100% for sure only terrorists who plotted and executed the plan on their own.

Also, I think it's possible that the US is hiding alien existence. There's many conspiracy theories that all lead back to NASA removing images of UFOs from their pictures. Also a case where US may have reverse engineered a fallen UFO (Like maybe in Roswell). There's a lot to say about this conspiracy theory, but it's really interesting to look into. Gary McKinnon was a hacker who says he found these classified documents regarding UFOs and the US. The claims are that he was snooping through the documents for over a year but was caught at the exact moment when he attempted to download one of the pictures.

#10 Skaros, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  11. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't Andrew Breitbart the subject of that conspiracy theory?

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just about the only major one I might ascribe any credence to is the theory that the US government had some small role in Australian Governor-General John Kerr's dismissal of the Whitlam government in 1975, but that's less a conspiracy theory than a disparaging comment on Kerr's weak character, an acknowledgement of the US government's awful record with respecting sovereignty in the mid-late 20th century and an openness to the possibility of the release of new documentation.

It's often the case that a conspiracy theory will become an established historical fact after the thirty-year rule (or fifty, or whatever else is required before declassification) expires, but by the time of release it loses much of its potential for scandal and ceases to be a conspiracy theory.

13. Ditz

What about the "Gay Agenda" conspiracy theory... Apparently we have a plan... Now where did I put those agenda papers again, has anyone seen them?

14. Joelouis

Wasn't one of the 9/11 terrorist's passport (or part of it) found at the scene?
    If so, then how very convenient. Everything else was incinerated yet that doesn't.

Edward Snowden has come up with a few interesting claims. Like GCHQ on the UK hacking into smartphones and even getting them to take a photo as you text in order to put a face to a unregistered handset. I know spyware exists on smartphones that once downloaded, is very difficult to erase. iPhones and Android based phones are the major targets.
    They can duplicate data sent to and from the infected phone and relay it to another handset without the user ever knowing.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aliens are talking to me in my sleep.

16. candyjiru

Hmm~ I think conspiracy theories are fun to read about, and some turned out to be true~ especially regarding coups and such~ I also think it's fun to think that the moon landing wasn't real, and I used to shout it from the rooftops when I was in high school~ haha~ I was such a troublemaker then XD;;;; I even did my science research paper on alien abductions just because I didn't respect my teacher~ I was so proud, but she gave me a zero and made me do another one... lame. XD;;;;;

17. Nikky DoUrden

I believe in the truth whether its conspired or not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't believe it, but my favourite conspiracy is that a mummy was onboard the Titanic, being transported from the British Museum to somewhere over in the States. And of course, there was a curse. You can probably guess the rest.

19. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, I've seen that one before and I don't doubt it. Even before finding out about it though, stuff like diamonds and precious gemstones always sort of confused me. I mean, you're paying exorbitant amounts of money for a tiny rock. Yeah, if I ever get engaged, the ring ain't gonna be anything special :lol:
    (And how many diamonds do you want to bet that those South African diamond miners are being paid ridiculously low wages?)

20. thepandaboss

No the reason diamonds are so highly valued is because the diamond trade is basically controlled by the DeBiers company, who artificially inflates the value of diamonds and helped encourage its cultural status through aggressive marketing. There's a video online- think by the same guy who does Adam Ruins Everything.

Anyway... Conspiracy theories. Gah. I was with a guy who believed 9/11 was organized and knew a homeless guy who honest to god thought the Illumanati ruled everyone with brain busting chemtrails. Just annoys the crap out of me.