1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Christians now being oppressed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Nov 22, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hear this a lot from some religious people who are usually Christians. They claim that they're now the victims of oppression. They're implying that since LGBT people in certain countries are getting equal rights (like marriage), Christians are now being persecuted against. I don't understand their logic.

When they say something anti-LGBT, some people may be call the a bigot, hater, or intolerant, which is what I'm assuming they are referring about. But that's not nearly as bad as what a lot of LGBT people have to go through. There's discrimination that exists against people who are LGBT and that's still legal in many places. No one gets fired for being Christian.

A perfect example is that video CatholicVote made, which is on youtube. Do you agree with their claim?

I'd like to remind them of this:
    [​IMG]

(please be respectful though because I know some members of EC are Christians)

2. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    NOTE: I know not all Christians are like this, I'm talking about the ones who are
    Because some people are LOOKING to claim they're oppressed. Look at this ridiculous Starbucks cup spat. Why do they care?

Some people are simply close-minded and ignorant. They don't want the LGBT to be treated like equals, so they're trying to make THEMSELVES look like the victims.
    They want the pity, they want the attention, they want to make the LGBT look bad so that THEY don't look bad. That's why.
    People are starting to realize "Hey, maybe treating queer people like animals isn't very nice" and Christians don't want that. They look like the bad guys now- they don't want that either. So now, they're trying to turn it back around, and make the LGBT community look like the villains- AGAIN.

#2 RavenTheRat, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh yeah! I forgot about the starbucks cup incident but that's also a great example of how *some* claim they are being oppressed.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I say everyone just needs to keep their mouth shut, either that or everyone can speak their mind and that doesn't end well.

I just hate it when people allow others to make fun of religion. Because we wouldn't like it if someone made a homo/bi/trans*phobic comedy so we shouldn't allow others to do the same to them.

I mean, I know some people who dislike LGBT but would never try to stop it and they have friends who are LGBT despite disliking it. Surprisingly, I like these kind of people over those who like LGBT as it shows that they can put their personal hatred aside to get along with people.

And yes, I hate the commercialization of Christmas, especially when people say ''Christmas isn't a Christian holiday'' because it used to be but December 25th wasn't even Jesus' birthday, it was sometime in June/July ... so it's not really Christ-mas at all ... just an excuse for presents.

5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. Evangelical Christians in America have a massive persecution complex. They think if anyone doesn't agree to their narrow-minded, bigoted view of the world, that they must be persecuted, not realizing the privileged status Christianity holds in America. That's why they lose their shit over things like LGBT people actually getting rights, or, like has already been mentioned, that stupid red Starbucks cup, or about someone saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". Then they use their bible to back up their claims of persecution.

I, also, am not referring to all Christians; most of you are sane, good people. I'm just referring to the crazy evangelical ones like that Feuerstein nutcase, or like Ken Ham, who think they're being persecuted if someone farts in their general direction.

#5 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 22, 2015
  6. DinelodiiGitli

First of I'll say that most Christians I'm friends with are pretty chill and they find the 'oh help, I'm oppressed' ones just as crazy as we do.

But while on the topic I, a pagan, came across an anti-paganism page where a Christian was claiming pagans burn down Churches regularly and stole their holidays.
    When I disagreed they claimed I was an 'occultist who worshiped false Gods'.

7. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah ^^; The thing is, there are many kinds of Christians- but the two kinds that stand out the most to me are these kinds: nice, normal people who practice their religion (and have a full right to) without treating people who are different like lesser beings, and then on the flip side of the coin there are Christians who think being Christian gives them some kind of right to act like they're better than everyone else.
    Now again, I have no hate towards Christians. I'm simply speaking from personal experience I've had. I've met many wonderful, kindhearted Christians. I've also met many Christians who called me the scum of the Earth. I don't, and never will, lump all Christians under the category of "Egotistical asshole". I know so many, again, that are the most wonderful people I have ever met.

8. Aldrick

In a word: No.

9. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    See, I've never had any troubles with Christians hating on my religion (Well, put religion in qoutation marks because I'm kind of like a spiritual-pagan thingymabob)
    Weird huh, haha.
    However, my Wiccan friend has run into many people like that. I guess it just depends on who you come across in your path, yes?

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2015 at 11:31 AM ----------

If there was any lack of clarity this sums up who I'm talking about in my posts as well

#9 RavenTheRat, Nov 22, 2015
  10. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think most groups of people, however large, can find some way or another to say they are oppressed. Most groups of people have some stereotypes surrounding them, even if they are a priviliged group. And most/all groups have a few nutcases who put other groups down, and that can reflect badly on the whole group.

The chart on the OP surprises me somewhat. I only know two practising Christians and the vast majority of people I know are non-religious.

#10 Reciprocal, Nov 22, 2015
  11. Plattyrex

No, not really. I don't think the majority are claiming to be, though.

12. whoagirls

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a very religious Christian, and we are being oppressed in certain ways, just as the bible tells us we will be, however people having basic rights is not oppression. Most Christians are just fussy and want something to complain about, and are uneducated.

13. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just as long as you don't claim persecution over something like a red Starbucks cup. :wink:

...bad joke. Sorry.

I will say that it's beyond debate that Christians are being persecuted in other countries; I think what the likes of ISIS and other extremists are doing to Christians is absolutely barbaric. But nobody can claim persecution happening in America, because it's just not happening.

#13 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 22, 2015
  14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes in many ways they are. Not in the way conservatives in America claim but yes in way worse situations christians are being oppressed meaning they are being murdered especially in third world countries. Many liberals are christians too and one of the most prominent political families in America the Kennedy family are catholic liberals who support gay rights. They never claim to be oppressed and so do many other christian liberals. There is no way you can be oppressed by saying someone should not have the same rights as you. Christian liberals are sadly not as loud and don't get as much attention as the conservatives christians and I sure wish that were not true.

15. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Christians are not oppressed, never have been oppressed, and I doubt ever will be oppressed.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around the world, in places where the Islamic State have some power, Christians are being oppressed. In America and other western countries, no, many evangelical christians just have a massive persecution complex. Josh Feuerstein, Ken Ham, Rick Santorum, Bill Donahue, Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee, need I go on?

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

That's what I was referring to. The American Christians. Everybody's pretty much oppressed in the M.E.

20. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    They get a lot of hate nowadays but that does not make them oppressed.