1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Nov 23, 2015.

?

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2017.
  1. Yes, very much so, and I avoid them as best I can

46 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Somewhat uncomfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Neutral: Neither more nor less comfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. I find them comforting/consoling places to be

29 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never felt comfortable being in a church. And this is to say churches in general. I've not been to a Temple or Mosque, but I imagine I' feel pretty similarly.

Perhaps this is because I never went to church, growing up, and that my parents were not religious; instead, there were vast forests and the wilderness to wander about in: lakes, ponds, streams, hills, dense brambles, all the various plants and animals and mushrooms, the seasons passing and the changes they effected: Who needed some mist God, when you had all that around you?

The few times I was drug off to church as a child happened while staying with a babysitter. I felt very much out of place, bored, and wanted out. It did not feel natural to be shut in some somber box, especially on a perfectly good day off.

I've also been in churches a few times for weddings and funerals, and there's the same discomfort and boredom: I feel a restlessness just shy of suddenly needing to flee, as if I'm in a place that is in deep opposition to my most deeply held beliefs, lost among customs I don't know, awkwardly trying to pretend for the sake of whichever friend is being wed or buried.

There's been a few times I've entered one to see the architectural details of the place, but even then, it tends to get lost in that it is, in fact, a church; on a few other times, I've gone to one for some or other political/community event: In these cases, I'm still uncomfortable, but it's more in the background.

~

In short: Churches are places I avoid, in which it's difficult to relax and that make me squirm, even being a fairly buoyant extrovert.

And little seems to have been able to counter this.

Does anyone else have similar feelings, with a desire or tendency to avoid churches?

2. Jellal

They don't make me uncomfortable, except when they tell you to "please rise." I like sitting.

3. YinYang

Not really. My family isn't religious at all, so I don't usually go into churches, but when I went to Europe, we visited a lot of famous churches and I didn't exactly feel uncomfortable. I felt... meh. I don't really know how to describe how I felt :lol: I felt pretty neutral about it, to be honest. This is an interesting topic, though. I'd like to see other people's thoughts on this.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get nervous just being near one, so yes.

If I actually go inside I might start feeling sick.

5. lostinthematrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am a Hindu and going to a temple does make me very uncomfortable, and I study in a catholic college and there is a church there and I have been there just once and yes that was also uncomfortable. Its actually not the place itself that makes me uncomfortable its the people and their religious talks that makes me uncomfortable. Kind of a weird answer

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't vote. It all depends on the particular church. I can be comfortable in a fairly liberal church. But a conservative "we hate them gays" type church is hugely uncomfortable.

7. sierpinski

I don't see why being in a church should make me more or less comfortable than being in a house. I find some churches impressing, most too extravagant for the message of 'love over money' , some are so cold… but all in all they're just buildings.

8. TraceElement

I grew up going to a Methodist and Lutheran church, but in high school I slowly stopped going because I felt like that specific church wasn't as accepting as I thought a church should have been. I would feel slightly out of place, but not uncomfortable.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Formality

I rarely ever visit churches and when I do I mostly visit old churches because I want to look at the architecture or art. I don't feel uncomfortable in churches per se., but then again I've never really been to any kind of sermon. I am quite certain I'd feel uncomfortable if I visited a church where there were seriously religious people.

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I often find churches to be a very comfortable environment. I feel at peace often. Then again, I don't attend church now and never have, though I'm thinking of starting to do so. But no, I don't feel uncomfortable; although I'll sometimes feel a bit disspirited at the obviously expensive artwork and all, if that makes sense. I don't like the history of religious institutions taxing the life out of ordinary people, nor even of resources being used for this purpose in society today. Churches often do not demonstrate the humility they preach. And since humiility is a virtue I myself hold fairly close to heart, I guess that's a reason why I feel disspirited by that. But I mostly feel comfortable in churches.

12. setnyx

christ based churches make uncomfortable for 2 reasons i don't believe in the christian version of god or the devil & being judged by the worshippers because of my sexuality

13. guitar

I try to avoid them the best I can. As a gay atheist, there's really only so much cognitive dissonance I can take in one building. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Churches, uncomfortable? For me, the staunch atheist?

Actually, no. No more or less than any other building, at any rate (at least if there's no sermon going on). Personally, I'd love to step foot in the Notre Dame cathedral at some point before I die; it's a beautiful building.

I should say that my apathy extends to most churches. Now, if someone were to ask me to step foot in a Kingdom Hall, then I would run screaming in the opposite direction, probably cursing them out in the worst words I know in two languages. Nothing like the reminders of your old religion to make you feel like tearing your hair out.

#14 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I feel great sense of peace and calm when I go into a church. Whether it's a magnificent cathedral or a small country church, there is something about the places that "grounds" me (can't precisely explain what I mean by that). I suppose being a Christian and regular church goer makes it easier for me to feel at ease, but even if I was a non-believer I'm still confident I would get the same feeling... okay, maybe not inside the Westboro Baptist Church. :grin:

16. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, they just bore me out of my skull.

When I was too young to realize I could refuse going to church on Sundays, I always delayed getting dressed in the morning as much as I could get away with, because I knew next followed two hours of nothing. There was my life before going to church and my life after going to church, but that gap in between? A void of nothingness. I might as well been asleep, but then again, at least when you wake up from a nap you feel refreshed. Coming out of church I just felt frustrated at all the time I wasted.

#16 RawringSnake, Nov 23, 2015
  17. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a weird feeling. They are calm places, but when i think about what it means, i start to become really uncomfortable.

I don't avoid churches, but i don't really like them. But that isn't a problem, as i don't really have a reason to go there anyway.

18. AlamoCity

If it's a particular denomination I grew up with: yes, I feel uncomfortable. Other religions? Provided they are not passing snakes around or doing "weird" things, I feel fine and even consider "interesting." I feel like an outsider exploring the peculiar way a particular culture worships. Feels almost like an anthropological observational study.

19. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Somewhat uncomfortable.

Sometimes the Church is really cold and I don't feel like it's friendly in there as I don't go often so feel a bit excluded on the rare times I do go, so yeah, I feel uncomfortable for that part.

About the LGBT*, the bigger they have a vocal problem with it, the bigger I make a statement about it. [treat people who you wish to be treated / do unto others that you'd like to receive].

20. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I tend to not go anywhere near Churches on a daily basis as I have no particular reason to. However being at a CofE school, every week they hold an assembly which everyone has to attend and I have to admit I feel a little uncomfortable when everyone is sitting there praying in unison. It really feels sort of cult like to me (like out of the mythic dawn scene in Oblivion, just with less human sacrifice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Although this is coming from someone who wasn't raised in a religious setting and who doesn't believe in what everyone else there does. So I suppose it would seem weird to someone like me who hasn't ever seen something quite like it.

#20 DangerousDan, Nov 23, 2015