1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Environment?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eye Shine, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Eye Shine

So I'm taking this environmental science class and each week we learn another reason about why we are destroying are Earth. It's actually kind of sad that we are basically making our grand kids lives terrible. So what do you think about the Earth's environmental problems? Do you think there are effective ways to combat it?

(Also if you want to do me a solid take this short 10 question survey about it. It's for my class. I would appreciate it friends. ^.^ https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BCCYZ28)

2. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Done. Now where is my hug?

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And all those people who still say "Nope, no environmental problems!"
    When they've practically turned Earth into Mars.

4. Psaurus918

I care about the environment but I'm not crazy like some of my friends. I try and recycle as best as I can, I drive a somewhat gas efficient car...

Hopefully we continue to make advancements in cars like Tesla and get away from coal mining completely, improve public transportation (especially in big cities).

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think we need to basically terminate the wasteful market-based economy to survive. Our currrent consumerism is already claiming lives in the numbers, and no matter how many patches we put on the spurting wound in the earth we've caused, she'll bleed us out at this rate. Not only are we making the lives of our grandchildren shit - that is true for us in the richer parts of the world - but we're making the lives of the children of the next generation, and even this generation, shit.
    I believe humanity needs to harmonize and come up with a true plan, otherwise this is our last stand.

6. CyanChachki

Think about it for a minute. The reason why we have money is so that people are motivated to work for people who use that money to motivate other people to work for them. The cycle in it's self is fine.. but we do not need taxes, we do not need to pay for a lot of the things we're paying for and we certainly shouldn't have to pay as much as we're paying for the things that we need and because of all this obsession with money, people who produce our items are getting greedy and therefore, they're producing WAY more than they need to, in hopes that we'd buy it, in which we don't. This causes mass amounts of greenhouse gas and it's all for tree shavings.

We as the general public aren't the ones who are doing any of this. We can refuse to buy cars, we can plant all the trees that we want, but the difference will be so minimal, that it would barely change a thing. The issue I have with it is, is that the government does all this and then has the audacity to turn around and point fingers at us, when they're the ones making all of these decisions. Of course we all care about the Earth. Of course, we all wanna live in a healthy area with fresh air and reasonable prices.. but to be really honest, nothing's going to change unless the government decides to.. and therefore, we ignore it and hope that it's just a conspiracy theory.

7. Formality

I feel so guilty when I open a plastic packaging. I really wish there was less packaging and more organic material for the things that do need packaging.

8. Eye Shine

(*hug*)

and also hugs to everyone else (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

9. iiimee

1. I think there is a ton we can do to help the environment, at least if the environment starts becoming important in our political matters- after all, everyone gets passionate once politics takes a hold of it.
    2. I took the survey... You're welcome. :dry: (*hug*)

10. Eye Shine

(*hug*) Thanks!

11. Minori

It's actually against the law here to not recycle.
    You won't really get "jailed" no but you have to use transparent garbage bags.
    And if you havent recycled and sorted everything separately. The garbage / recycle men/women will not take it. They will move to the next house. My province even has an app so we can know where everything is suppose to go so we can keep our land clean.
    And when I was in school, it was mandatory in one of our classes for one day we would all pick up garbage around the school / area. Quite shocking how much garbage we found.

#11 Minori, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  12. Jolly Roger

People would rather think about their contemporary convenience despite the looming doom that the Earth faces. We'll just disagree with one another until it's too late. This is especially evident in America, where a wide margin of ignorant people don't believe FACTS. I personally believe that the world needs to invest in green energy as a whole, but then again, I'm no environmental expert.

#12 Jolly Roger, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  13. candyjiru

Recycling is crazy here... they have different boxes for paper, plastic, light plastic (?? like, thin plastic??), cans, bottles, clear bottles, food waste, and trash. It's insane... I think it's good, but I think the reason most people don't do it is because of laziness~ it's easy to be lazy, but it's hard to clean all the bottles, put them away carefully, and all that...

Also, I heard that most of the things Americans recycle, can't actually be recycled and are still thrown in with the regular trash, even though we did what we thought was right... it's ridiculous.

14. candyjiru

double post T.T sorry T.T

#14 candyjiru, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  15. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, I am VERY PROUD of all of you, my EC family, who recycles and cares for the environment! You guys gain my respect. I love you all!

Our country is becoming more and more environmentally conscious. The typhoons that struck us this past years are wake up calls to all Filipinos how seriously bad our waste management is. Why? Because a drizzle in Manila can result in a half a foot to a foot of flood because of clogged drains. In our place, not the whole country tho, we are not allowed to use plastic bags. In the markets here (even wet markets), they are giving out paper bags even if you have wet products! So you really have to bring your own bag so you wont be hassled. Also, we have No Plastic Straws policy here. So guess what the straw for icy chocolate shake is made of? Paper. Yup, paper straw. And believe me, it's not that good!

We can not stop natural disasters, like typhoons, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. But we can lessen the effects of it. Earth had evolved to make life here possible despite having this natural disasters. Mangroves and coral reefs lessen the power of tsunamis, plants hold together soil to prevent landslides, trees shield us from strong sunlight and winds, etc. If were going to keep destroying this things for our own "comfort" then we are making the Earth more and more inhabitable. I agree with Invidia, "I believe humanity needs to harmonize and come up with a true plan, otherwise this is our last stand."

16. Formality

I think the biggest problem with the modern human civilization is that we constantly manage to disrupt the balance of every single eco-system we come into contact with. You have to look at it from an evolutionary perspective. Every single eco system on the planet has for millions upon millions of years been perfected through the process of evolution. When modern human civilization come into contact with such eco-systems, we always manage to exploit them to the point that it completely breaks the fine balance between the species in that environment.

As an example, just look at what we are doing to the oceans by completely draining them of fish. Our extreme overfishing of the oceans is causing damage not only to the population of fish that we catch, but to other species within that ecosystem that depend on those fish populations to survive. These ecosystems aren't "designed" to be exploited in such a way. Penguin, dolphin and seal population among a buttload of other species are dying out because of our ignorance and greed.

If we truly want the planet and human civilization to prosper, in the long run, what we have to do is learn to adapt and live with nature. We need to find a way to let eco-systems stay intact while still being able to take advantage of 'the fruits they bear'.

Unfortunately the modern human civilization is so destructive on such a grand scale that I honestly think it is too late. We are simply too many. The only outcome of humanity that I can see is a mass death of some sort. Then maybe in a few thousand-and-upwards years we'll make the same mistake again. That said I highly doubt humanity will completely die out for a long time, unless we somehow manage to fuck the planet up so terribly that no human being can survive here.

Hopefully the earth will stay the blooming green planet it has been for billions of years, up until the days of our sun are counted. Even from the horrible disaster that modern human civilization has been, I still trust in nature's ability to recuperate.

#16 Formality, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  17. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kind of a lazy dunce when it comes to this, but I'm aware that there are quite a few problems around. I really need to kick myself in the teeth and get more proactive about this kind of thing.

18. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've come up with a very simple solution. Simply kill off everyone else except for a few people, preferably intelligent ones. Slowly grow back the population, and use the intelligent ones to work on ways of erasing what we have already done. Simple.

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You don't have to worry even for a second, although it may not be today or tomorrow, it's just a matter of time until the earth gets even with humanity.