1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm so scared to go to Sweden now?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Nov 23, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

I've been saving up for this festival/contest called Eurovision for about a year now. I was to stay with my extended family in Stockholm in May and the tickets go on sale in just a few days <3 But... now that there are terror threats seemingly everywhere, normally targeting prominent big cities, I'm absolutely terrified to go anywhere. I don't want to cower in fear and let the terrorists take my sanity and quality of life, but I'm also just plain terrified. I've had high anxiety for years and it's gotten ten times worse in the past week.

Should I still go to Sweden?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No please don't go! :frowning2:

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say go. It's kind of a cliche thing to say, but if you allow general, wide-reaching threats to dictate how you make major decisions in your life then terrorists are getting exactly what they want. The odds that you'd be involved in such an incident are still incredibly small and chances are driving to the airport will be the most dangerous part of your trip.

With that said, I completely understand your hesitation. Someone I care about deeply is planning on taking a semester abroad in the spring and I know I won't be at ease until he's home safely. I still think going is the right thing to do though and I hope fear won't prevent him from having a truly incredible experience. Obviously if things keep happening between now and then I'll feel differently, but for now I support his decision to go.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    noooooooo!!!!!!!! Don't gooooooooooo!!!!!!

5. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude, Sweden is a lot safer even with terrorist threats than L.A. is on your average day… I'd encourage you to compare crime rates.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^even though that's true I still don't want jake going to Sweden right now.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Statistically, you're unlikely to be a victim of terrorism.

It's probably wise for its messaging effect that you do not allow the threat of terrorism to deter you from ordinary behaviours. Unless an attack is imminent, it's caving in to a culture of fear created by terrorism, one which erodes the freedom liberal democracies espouse.

We live in societies where drinking alcohol, driving cars and consuming copious quantities of red meat and sugar are the norm. These are statistically far more likely to cause you premature death than a terrorist attack. Why should that impact your behaviour any more than the less scary, but actually more risky behaviours people engage in every day?

It is ultimately your choice, but a little act of defiance that doesn't actually put you in much more risk than everyday life is probably worth it. Go to Sweden.

8. Yosia

Terrorists want people to live in fear, because then they can control people. And even with the latest couple of attacks, the statistical chance of being caught up in an attack is still very low.

Obviously we can't force you to do something you don't want, but, your safety is still pretty damn high and even hopefully by Eurovision 2016, this will have all blown over.

9. Distant Echo

Seriously. Book your tickets. Don't let them win. Fearing them gives them power. Caution is fine, great, essential. But don't fear them.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly this.

11. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say do it. Take that trip. People have already pointed out that the chances of you getting caught up in an attack is statistically very low. Don't let fear get in the way of what you want to do. For instance, there was a bomb threat at a stadium in Germany where my national team was set to play, but you can bet your ass that I'd catch the first flight over there in a heartbeat if I could, because it's something I want to do.

You want to go to Sweden; don't let anything get in the way of that.

#11 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  12. RemakeJake

Thank you so much everyone. Means a lot <3

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2015 at 09:28 AM ----------

I will go :slight_smile: getting tickets will be damn impossible but I'll go!! X)

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Like I said yesterday, and like has been mentioned above. Go virtually anywhere you want in Sweden and it's safer than anywhere in the US. So you'll probably be safer for the short duration you're here.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in countless crowded places since the Paris attacks and I've not once felt threatened or scared - nightclubs, bars, restaurants, supermarkets, trains, whatever. People are going about their lives like they usually would. Honestly, don't fret.

#14 imnotreallysure, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  15. MatH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I goddamned live in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, and I'm not afraid :grin: you'll be fine.

16. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The chances of being killed by a terrorist attack are extremely slim. You are more likely to be killed travelling there.

17. timo

Go.

That's really all I have to say. You could stay at home, be scary and avoid any place with a lot of people but that's not really a life, is it?

18. Harve

Eurovision will be amazing. Of course you're gonna go.

19. Formality

It honestly wouldn't surprise me at all if a terrorist attack happened in Sweden within the years to come. But the chances of you being a victim of an attack is extremely low if you look at the statistics.

I personally wouldn't attend crowded events unless it was something I really wanted to see. But that's mostly just because I dislike crowds in general :lol:

20. Formality

It honestly wouldn't surprise me at all if a terrorist attack happened in Sweden within the years to come. But the chances of you being a victim of an attack is extremely low if you look at the statistics.

I personally wouldn't attend crowded events unless it was something I really wanted to see. But that's mostly just because I dislike crowds in general :lol: