1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Becoming a new person due to being LGBT+

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Nov 24, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like realizing that you are some form of LGBT can have a huge impact on yourself and your personality. I know it did for me.
    When I was 11 and 12, and pretty much all throughout my childhood, I was usually fairly laid back, shy. I didn't want to get involved in things or stick up for myself or do anything bold or "loud". I was fine with seamlessly fitting into the pack. When I came out as lesbian right after my 13th birthday, things started to change. I learned that people in this world would dislike, despise me even, simply because of my sexuality. And I started to grow up. I saw the world in a darker light. With my family situation and financial status as well as being the oldest child, this process of leaving my childhood had already slowly started, but liking girls was that final kick. It made me mature.
    Being trans had a gigantic affect on my personality, which I am only now starting to fully realize. By understanding finally who I truly was, I could have confidence in myself. Being able to cut my hair and dress masculinely had a huge impact on my demeanor. I speak up for myself now. If someone is being rude or whatever to me, I tell them about it. I'm more sarcastic. I feel much more secure in my identity and it shows. And peer pressure? I stopped being affected by it months ago. I do what I want to do, how I want to do it. I make choices for me, not other people. If they have a problem with that, they can go screw themselves with a pine cone. I am my own person.
    I am bold, I am extroverted, I am Cody.

I wouldn't change a thing. Being trans has had a drastic affect on my personality for the better. I've matured and grown as a person and became confident in myself.

How about you guys? Any similar stories?

#1 DreamerBoy17, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. Distant Echo

Since I've accepted myself I'm finding I can talk to people around me. Before I was afraid to let anyone too close in case they guessed my secret. Now I simply don't care if they do. My self-confidence has grown enormously, I can start casual conversations, and I finally feel like I am being me.
    I got my hair cut again today, and I seem to have gone even shorter. I'm finding what I like to wear, and dressing for women, not men. And I'm very comfortable with that.
    And I'm looking at women. A lot. A lot a lot lol.
    Accepting myself is fantastic :wink:

3. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hah, sounds fantastic! I'm glad that you've found yourself and have blossomed as an individual!

When I realized I was panro ace, I didn't really feel too much of a difference in me. I mean, I realized I was a little more open in things, but it wasn't until I found myself to be agender that a kick kind of like what you were talking about started happening. It wasn't necessarily a kick of maturity, but it was joy. I started becoming a much happier individual. Coming to realize that I'm agender was a pretty recent discovery, so I'm still kind of easing people into it (it's gonna be a long quest. Thanks, Bible Belt), but I honestly have a lot more confidence as an individual. I still don't really like talking to people, but I'm happier with who I am and my appearance. I get extremely excited when one of my friends uses the right pronoun for me (it's kind of infrequent, but I think it will get better?). In general, I've never been happier in my life than I have in this moment.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear it, people! I can definitely relate to you, AgenderMoose! It really is exciting when you finally start hearing the right pronouns and just feel a little better in your appearance, doesn't it? I am super happy some days and horribly dysphoric. As goes the teenage narrative. :lol:

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gay and spent most of my life in Narnia. I only came out in my late 50's! But the change in me was phenomenal. I'm happier and I've become a nicer person to be with. I've become very quick witted.
    I will never ever go back in to the closet again!!!! It was a dark and scary place.
    (!!)

6. thepandaboss

Yeah I'm starting to notice this. I have severe anxiety so that'll probably never change. But in general I tend to be a happier person. I'm more socially aware, I enjoy being around people more, I have a better sense of humor, and I'm overall a little calmer and more at ease. Hell, I'm starting to realize I have a personality, which is kind of new for me.

7. guitar

My friend's mom hadn't seen me in about 3-4 years. I hung out with my friend and his mom for dinner and afterwards she commented to him after I had left "since coming out, he's mellowed out a lot. Much more relaxed. It's amazing how he can flourish now that he isn't stressed all the time about his sexuality."

8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't say I've become a "new" person, but I am a bit happier now that things have kind of "clicked" for me, and I can start making sense of what and who I am.

Now if only I could get the few people who know to actually acknowledge what I am and to stop calling me a female, because that just feels like getting punched in the chest.

9. TraceElement

Being gay didn't "change" me, but I was able to feel content and have a weight lifted off my shoulders allowing myself to become who I am today.

10. thatchickcj

This is literally such an interesting concept if you think about it though. If someone is confident enough to be who they are (ex. Sexuality and/or Gender), they are more expressive in their personality.

I think it's fair to say that a person 'changes' when they are capable of embracing their identity. However, it isn't their identity that's doing the work. It's the individual's confidence.

It's all about being comfortable in your own skin.

11. Jellal

I'm the same, but slightly prouder of my appearance and more appreciative of my friends and family.

12. candyjiru

Hmm, I'm mostly closeted, but I do feel like things make more sense~~ and now I understand a lot of things looking back XD;;; (Why did I have so few crushes on guys? Why was I always staring at the girls in movies when my female friends were checking out the guys? etc~~)

I'm happy for everyone who feels so free now that they're out, now~~ be free and happy and lovely~~~ \^.^/

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it wasn't so much becoming a new person, it was more of stepping out of the closeted defenses I'd put up and letting my true self come out into the open.

14. littleraven

I'm still me, but I get what you're saying. I think it has to do with being more comfortable with who we are and learning more about who we are. Also, I would like to add that knowing that other people are going through the same thing helps. I'm becoming less afraid of who I am.