1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Your Opinion of the Confederate Flag?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WhereWeWere, Nov 25, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

What's your opinion of the confederate flag?

Do you think it's racist and oppressive, or do you think it's a symbol for southern pride? Or do you have a totally different train of thought about it?

I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions, especially from people from the southern United States.

2. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I see it as a symbol of the past more than anything. My dad LOVED the Civil War and had all sorts of Confederate stuff. My mother is from Virginia (guess my dad got his Southern Belle :wink: ), and she said she saw it all the time and it really doesn't mean anything to her except Southern drunkards.

For the sake of it, I will say that (when) I had a flagpole I would fly not only the American Stars and stripes flag, but also these during different times of the year:

P.O.W. (Prisoners of war)
    Jolly Roger (skull and crossbones)
    Thuringia (a part of Germany)
    Iceland
    Alaska

As for freedom's sake, we should be able to fly whatever flag we want, because each retains a different meaning/view for everyone.

3. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe it's part of the past, something you can't take away. However I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so raciest, shouldn't people be proud of something they came together for, something they fought for and won the freedom they always wanted?

4. Ashley2103

I think its just a flag. Like any other, and people put the meaning they want in to it. I don't think its oppressive or racist at all, I think people just chose to get butthurt over it because it became the new thing to do.

5. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I agree. But I hate when people say it has nothing to do with slavery. It does, I do think there's at least some racism tied in with it. A great example would be the KKK using it (even though it's not their official flag, they still wave it around as if it were).

I believe everyone has a right to wave whatever flag they want. But with that, people (especially up in northern parts of the US) are also risking the fact that their flag can be destroyed. Don't be surprised when you find your flag on the ground, torn to pieces. For example, my brother went to a music festival once and some guy started waving a confederate flag. Bunch of people came up to him and beat the hell out of him.

So basically, what I'm saying is "You have a right to wave this flag, but with this, you are also agreeing to have it potentially be destroyed and disrespected."

6. setnyx

i feel personally offended when i see it. the only southern pride i see in it is hatred. that is based on talking with those flying it. all i have met say hateful things about everyone but those like themselves.

7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It gets on my nerves. I understand it's a part of our past and didn't originally stand for what most people interpret it with now, but thanks to how history turned, that's its association now. I see the confederate flag flying on different things (trucks, mostly) a lot around here.

Really I think the thing that bothers me about them is that it's usually idiots who are constantly saying "The south will rise again!!" who fly them here. Because it won't. And why would it. There's no logical reason for the south to split from the rest of the U.S., honestly I don't think the south would function on its own. Plus, we're in Missouri, dude, we're only like half south. Come on.

So, basically, as an item I'm fine with it because of it being historical. I just don't particularly enjoy the reason why some people fly it. There's no reason to revert back to Civil War-era thinking.

8. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's just a symbol of the South. Let people wave it if they want to. Banning it would be ridiculous.

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think what it represents needs to stay in the past. People claim it stands for "Southern pride," but the Civil War started when the South didn't like the idea of giving up their slaves, so they tried to start their own country over it. The South started a long, bloody war for nothing other than the right to treat other human beings as property.

It's a symbol of hate and of racism, pure and simple, and anybody who says otherwise needs to do their homework. It's no better than people proud of their Nazi ancestry trying to fly the swastika in their front yard. You want to fly that flag; go right ahead, but be aware it makes you look like a racist.

#9 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. DinelodiiGitli

I live in the South.

Personally the flag doesn't bother me. Most here see it as a symbol of the South but there are a small few who are....well, they aren't nice people. But the flag itself is just that; a flag.

11. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Going to have to agree with you there, especially in the last sentence. It does represent the past, which also ties into racism and slavery. I don't like the flag, I don't ever want to see it. I don't respect it at all, and I don't have to respect it. I'm not going to destroy a large flag hanging around a house (I don't want to get into anymore trouble with police), but if I saw a small one lying around somewhere I'd probably kick it. Maybe rip it apart or spit on it. The only flags I can think of that I could hate more are the ISIS, KKK, and Nazi flags.

If you like the flag, if you want to wave the flag, cool. Good for you. Enjoy your flag. But like in my previous post, don't be surprised when people fuck it up.

12. globularcluster

Out Status:
    A few people
    Good Question. I think the confederate flag is a divisive symbol of racism and segregation in the United States. The confederacy is not the only legacy in the south! It is not really an admirable one either. The confederate flag was not even the flag used to celebrate the end of the civil war. It gained popularity in the 1940's at events unrelated to the civil war. In 1956 after the supreme court desegregated public school "Brown v Board of education the confederate flag was used as a symbol of resistance in many southern states against our governments decision to desegregate public school. (As for being butt hurt your comment was highly improper) I do agree more action needs to be taken...for example Bree Newsome, political activist, scaled a flag pole in South Carolina that was flying in front of the state house as a response to the racially charged massacre in a church that left 9 dead. A white man walked into a black church and killed people as they prayed... He killed a civil rights leader! Racism and bigotry has not vanished and to erase and pretend that everything is peachy keen is a choice to live in comfort from the suffering of others. As a matter of fact she and her partner were arrested for defacing a public monument. For those who believe a flag is just a flag I urge you to read more. Read write think critically

a quote:
    "“The Confederacy is neither the only legacy of the south nor an admirable one. The southern heritage I embrace is the legacy of a people unbowed by racial oppression.We made this decision because for us, this is not simply about a flag, but rather it is about abolishing the spirit of hatred and oppression in all its forms,” -bree newsome

#12 globularcluster, Nov 25, 2015
  13. Psaurus918

I hate it. I don't buy into the "southern pride" thing whatsoever. Were Americans hang an American flag and be proud of your country, were all united. There is no south vs north.

14. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care about the flag, it's the people who wave it while saying "The South will rise again." That annoy me.
    Seriously what will they rise for? For slavery to come back?

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be whatever you want it to be, really. I not from the south so im not sure how they see it. I don't think its up to people from outside of the south to dictate its meaning. It seems historical to me but I bet there are people who use it in a hateful way due to its past.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say it's more of a symbol of stupidity, which is a main component of racism. The Confederate flag is flown by so many people who are for some reason proud of slavery, oppression, and long-outdated values.

#16 AwesomGaytheist, Nov 25, 2015
  17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a fan of people being proud of waving something that was used to enslave and kill people, whether or not they want to admit it. Put it this way. In Germany, it's illegal to own Nazi merchandise. Many neo-Nazis and skinheads own the Confederate flag as something in place of it. That says so much.

18. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a symbol of racism just like the American flag

19. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw it then and still see it as a symbol of enslavement. I understand that some people choose to honor/fly it for the sake of history, but you can't turn a blind eye to the fact that the history of said flag is racist.

20. Plattyrex

It really depends on how you choose to view it. The CSA was an independent nation, short lived as it may have been, and to the people in the south I think it stands for a lot outside of slavery. A large amount of southerners have relatives that fought for the Confederacy, so that may be a part of why they liked it so much. I think some of the tension may also come from the fact that the Union army commited a fair amount of war crimes on Confederate territory and attempted to justify them by inventing the concept of total war. I personally dislike the flag. The Civil War was a terrible thing that killed many innocent people on both sides, which is something I really don't think we should be glorifying at the level we currently do.

#20 Plattyrex, Nov 25, 2015